Link: Mackensie Alexander Thinks Turning Point in Title Game was His Injury

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Perhaps one of the more easily overlooked moments in Alabama's national championship game win occurred midway through the second quarter. It was tied with Clemson 14-14 when Derrick Henry took a second-down run straight up the middle.

Tiger cornerback star Mackensie Alexander came on a blitz off the end, lunging toward the pile after a six-yard gain. Trainers ran to his side when he didn't get up from the play. Clutching his left hamstring, the top Clemson defensive back was done for the day.

"My d-coordinator sent me on a blitz call," Alexander recalled last week at the NFL combine. "I hit Derrick Henry in the backfield and my hamstring just gave."

Alexander, the No.1 cornerback in the draft according to CBSSports.com, saw things change after he left the game.

"It felt like the offensive coordinator opened up the playbook a little bit and did some different stuff," he said. "It was frustrating."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Their problem was that they tried to tackle Henry. If they just let him run, clearly they would have won.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Colt got hurt. LSU had to play us again. Te'o's dead girlfriend turned out to be a living man. Alexander got hurt.

I guess none of our championships under Nick Saban are legit.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
So the question should be: what will future excuses be for teams not being able to beat bama?

1. Bama is too mean.
2. The sun got in our eye, despite the game being played at night.
3. The water in the showers being either too hot or too cold.

Losers make excuses, champions just win.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
As I scanned the thread titles on this forum, I thought, "who the heck is Mackensie Alexander?" Then I clicked on it and vaguely remembered him.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I really hope Dabo doesn't turn into Mack Brown. Wandering around aimlessly muttering, "If only Mackensie hadn't gotten hurt..." to everybody he bumps into.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If I ever stop posting, I know this board will never be the same. Just wanted everyone to know, that I know, and it will be ok.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
"It felt like the offensive coordinator opened up the playbook a little bit and did some different stuff," he said. "It was frustrating."
Translation. I'm just so good that with me in the game everyone is else is scared and can't do anything. That's why I'm so good. And besides that, I'm so good. Did I tell you just how good I am?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I remember thinking that the injury was going to help Alabama when it occurred, so I think that it had an impact on the game. But I believe that Alabama was going to win that game, no matter what it took. They had one great play-maker on offense/special teams - their QB. Alabama had too many to count.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really hope Dabo doesn't turn into Mack Brown. Wandering around aimlessly muttering, "If only Mackensie hadn't gotten hurt..." to everybody he bumps into.
I may be wrong, but doesn't Dabo still think the onside kick was illegal? If only Alabama hadn't used an illegal kick....blah...blah...blah.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Clemson is gonna have a long year this season if all their players have this mindset. Clemson is going to find out what it's like to be the hunted instead of the hunter. See Florida St recently. One and done..

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
A) IIRC, there's a factual basis to this; didn't we target Alexander's replacement after he left the game?

B) Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

C) Football is a team sport. Much like UT and IOCHGH, if the loss of, or reduced effectiveness of, one player costs you the game, were you really the better team?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
His hammie popped under the weight of all those pregame promises he made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's a common theme I've noticed when a team gets "Processed", to make the defeat & life easier to deal wth, they come up with boatloads full of excuses that allows them to sleep better at night..

It's all good cause we know the fact of the matter is they got best by the greatest college football program in the history of the game..No shame in that Boy's..It's happens a lot & will continue to happen..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.