Link: Former Maryland OC Mike Locksley Joins Bama Staff as Offensive Analyst

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good hire. He kept some Maryland/VA/DC kids at Maryland we were trying to recruit. He know that area very well and is well respected.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, this is the second former offensive coordinator Saban brought in recently. I'm not sure if he has grand plans, some people seem to think Napier is the future offensive coordinator, but I don't think Saban focuses too much on promoting from within. He just gives the available jobs to the best talent he can find, but of course he does try to have the best talent on the staff to begin with.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's a two year old post from a Baltimore sports website about Locksley's offense to see what he might bring to the table for Alabama.

First things first, let’s get the categorization of “multiple” out of the way. The reason why I classified Mike Locksley’s offense as “multiple” is because there is no clear category into which his offense falls. It is not solely a pro-style offense, though his passing game has many elements of a pro-style scheme. Pro-style offenses always feature a downhill running game from under center, and C.J. Brown only went under center in short-yardage or goal-line situations last season. It is not solely a spread offense, though the running game has many elements of a spread-option scheme.

Mike Locksley’s offense combines elements of pro-style and spread attacks, and he also steals elements from Chris Ault’s famous pistol offense. Locksley coached a spread offense at Illinois when he was the offensive coordinator there from 2005-2008. The quarterback was almost always in the shotgun formation, and often had 4-5 wide receivers split out. When he went to New Mexico, he ran more of a pro-style scheme. Personnel has always dictated what offense Locksley runs, and the Terps are more well-suited for a “multiple” scheme.

When C.J. Brown tore his ACL before the 2012 season began, Maryland was forced to turn to true freshman Perry Hills at quarterback. Not only was Hills inexperienced, but he had a completely different skill-set from Brown. Hills was more of a pocket passer, while Brown was a dual-threat. Locksley’s offense went from a spread-option attack to a pro-style attack in a matter of days. Hills lined up under center a lot more, and the read-option was a much smaller part of the offense.

When C.J. Brown returned in 2013, Maryland fans saw a completely different offense. It was more explosive because the entire playbook was opened up for Brown. He’d had the entire off-season to learn his offense, and was able to run it very well. While Mike Locksley doesn’t need a superstar at the quarterback position for his offense to succeed, he needs someone who can make the right reads quickly and efficiently. C.J. Brown did that very well for him last season.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Just to be clear, UNM settled a suit alleging sexual discrimination, not sexual misconduct. But yeah, I thought about the other parallels with Kiffin.

The big difference is that, whatever his other weaknesses, Kiffin's offenses always performed well, especially considering the scholarship limitations he had at USCw. Shoot, he made an All-Conference contender out of Jonathan Crompton at UTe.

Saban giving a chance for redemption doesn't surprise me. But if he were to ask the candidate to succeed where he had no history of success, that would surprise me.
Sexual harassment is what I'm reading and the car belonged to CML son and it was loaned to a childhood friend of Locksleys son.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Maybe, but I'd be surprised. His offenses at New Mexico (as a HC), and at Maryland (as OC) were Marianas Trench abysmal.

A 5-min Google search also showed a lot of off-field baggage at UNM, including punching out one of his assistants, settling a lawsuit for sexual discrimination, and a 19-year-old neighbor borrowing his car and getting busted for DUI. I didn't look real hard, but no off-field issues at Maryland jumped off the page. A team QBR of 126 out of 128 did, though.

Ordinarily, I'd agree 1,000%. But unless Locksley is in line for an off-field recruiting position, I'm stumped as to what that plan might be. The combination of on-field struggles and off-field decision-making isn't the resume I would have thought Saban would seek out.
Still, ye doubters ;-)

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I honestly think that's our next OC..... Give him a year to get used to how things are ran and then promote him when or if Kiffin leaves. I wouldn't be shocked if he was working with Kiffin on some plays this summer.
I really hope not. Actually, I really really really hope not. He's a great recruiter, but coordinator doesn't ever need to be in his title...

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
Hey everyone, I finally decided to post , after a year or just reading and picking up knowledge about my favorite team. I live in the DC suburbs of Md, where it was tough following the Tide closely, at least until the internet! My dad was a walk on before the Bear, at Bama, and I've been watching from a distance since the late 60's. Anyway, I do not post normally, as you guys know much more about the team than I do. However, I do live less than 15 minutes from the U of Md and can tell you this...the Terp fans were very unhappy with Locksley as the OC, but did want him to stay in another capacity, due to his incredible recruiting prowess. Virtually all of the talent that Md has placed in the NFL lately was brought in by Locks, and a couple of 5 stars decommitted and signed with Ohio State, when Locks decided not to accept a demotion. He was also a monster recruiter of the DC area while at Illinois, I believe. Bottom Line, Nick has done a good job in the DC area...CYrus Jones, the Kouandjo brothers, Allen, Hand, Diggs, etc, but Locks will make it even better, Trading him for Aziz works in our favor. However...there is no way on earth he is ever the OC. The guy is just not much of a coordinator and was a disaster as Head Coach.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Hey everyone, I finally decided to post , after a year or just reading and picking up knowledge about my favorite team. I live in the DC suburbs of Md, where it was tough following the Tide closely, at least until the internet! My dad was a walk on before the Bear, at Bama, and I've been watching from a distance since the late 60's. Anyway, I do not post normally, as you guys know much more about the team than I do. However, I do live less than 15 minutes from the U of Md and can tell you this...the Terp fans were very unhappy with Locksley as the OC, but did want him to stay in another capacity, due to his incredible recruiting prowess. Virtually all of the talent that Md has placed in the NFL lately was brought in by Locks, and a couple of 5 stars decommitted and signed with Ohio State, when Locks decided not to accept a demotion. He was also a monster recruiter of the DC area while at Illinois, I believe. Bottom Line, Nick has done a good job in the DC area...CYrus Jones, the Kouandjo brothers, Allen, Hand, Diggs, etc, but Locks will make it even better, Trading him for Aziz works in our favor. However...there is no way on earth he is ever the OC. The guy is just not much of a coordinator and was a disaster as Head Coach.
Roll Tide and welcome tideindc!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...Bottom Line, Nick has done a good job in the DC area...CYrus Jones, the Kouandjo brothers, Allen, Hand, Diggs, etc, but Locks will make it even better, Trading him for Aziz works in our favor. However...there is no way on earth he is ever the OC. The guy is just not much of a coordinator and was a disaster as Head Coach.
Gotta cut Lox some Beltway slack - tough assignment stepping into Edsel's high heels...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What exactly does an "offensive analyst " analyze? Sounds to me like someone who would be on the OC`s staff, but does he analyze our offense for potential weaknesses and tendencies vis a vis the oppositions defense or does he break down the oppositions defense for our offensive game planning ?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Thanks for the info. Who were the players that were lost to tOSU?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.