Link: Former Maryland OC Mike Locksley Joins Bama Staff as Offensive Analyst

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Former Maryland OC Mike Locksley took big pay cut to join Alabama staff

Mike Locksley took a significant pay cut to join Alabama's staff after spending the last four seasons as Maryland's offensive coordinator.

Locksley made $898,940 last season at Maryland, according to USA Today's salary database, after receiving a $250,000 supplement on top of his base salary for taking over as interim head coach when Randy Edsall was fired on Oct. 11. Locksley, who arrived at Alabama in March, had one year left on his Maryland deal at nearly $650,000 annually though it's unclear how much of that he will receive in 2016 after not joining new head coach D.J. Durkin's staff.

As an offensive analyst at Alabama, Locksley doesn't have a contract and will make $45,000 annually, according to records obtained by AL.com. Locksley was the 14th highest-paid assistant nationally last year and the highest-paid in the Big Ten, according to USA Today.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
This is a puzzling hire considering a career path and pay, but if his recruiting is as good as rumored, then maybe I understand. The pay cut part is very odd, unless he knew he was on his way out at Maryland either way and was without options or has future promises for recruiting successes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is a puzzling hire considering a career path and pay, but if his recruiting is as good as rumored, then maybe I understand. The pay cut part is very odd, unless he knew he was on his way out at Maryland either way and was without options or has future promises for recruiting successes.
He wasn't working since Maryland's new head coach DJ Durkin didn't retain him, so Bama was able to hire him for the position. The pay isn't great because the position doesn't pay like a position coach or coordinator job pays.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
He wasn't working since Maryland's new head coach DJ Durkin didn't retain him, so Bama was able to hire him for the position. The pay isn't great because the position doesn't pay like a position coach or coordinator job pays.
So it sounds like this was his best option...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Ordinarily, I'd agree 1,000%. But unless Locksley is in line for an off-field recruiting position, I'm stumped as to what that plan might be. The combination of on-field struggles and off-field decision-making isn't the resume I would have thought Saban would seek out.
Hmm... where have I heard this before?

;-)

At this point, I'll let CNS do WHATEVER he wants. :)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As others has pointed out, ML is an incredible, yes incredible recruiter. At least for the environment he was in. CK seriously considered going to NM over Bama. Bama recruiting fans were astonished and felt something fishy must be going on. It seems that ML is just an alpha recruiter.

Anyone who thinks Nick Saban hires only SS teachers and only recruits the same has not been paying attention. Stoutland, Pannunzio, Thompson multiple times, Kiffin, et al. He recruits and hires eligible and talented football coaches and players. He thinks he can control the ones who need it. For the most part he has been outrageously successful.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Could this be a situation similar to CLK's where he had a year left on his contract so The Terps are paying him a large sum while we basically get a 1 year $45k tryout?

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I think this is like the Tosh hire a few years back. If an offensive position opens in the future he will get a serious look. And he's probably getting some Maryland $.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Or a future replacement for CLK?
I thought about that, too. Still a puzzling move. For all his problems with maturity, Kiffin was generally acknowledged for his actual coaching. Issues were elsewhere.

Look, I'm not questioning Saban's personnel decisions. I'm just saying that this guy has had problems off the field (he punched out one of his own coaches), and on-field production hasn't been spectacular.

So I'm deadly curious as to what Saban sees that offsets both of those shortcomings.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I'm very excited about the hire.

If I'm gonna worry it's what our QB will look like at the start of the year, and if Lane can run the ball enough without putting too much pressure on him early. This will/may be Lanes last year, as he's regained his reputation as one of the best OC's and now has learned how to run a program from the best. He will have his pick of numerous jobs if he so chooses.
Saban is beginning to show he can produce 1st round coaches as well as 1st round players.....so I know without doubt this is a very good strategic hire.

Some people would worry themselves sick if they won the lottery over what to do with all the money.:)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I thought about that, too. Still a puzzling move. For all his problems with maturity, Kiffin was generally acknowledged for his actual coaching. Issues were elsewhere.

Look, I'm not questioning Saban's personnel decisions. I'm just saying that this guy has had problems off the field (he punched out one of his own coaches), and on-field production hasn't been spectacular.

So I'm deadly curious as to what Saban sees that offsets both of those shortcomings.
Seriously? I think Saban sees what Saban sees and I agree.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Seriously? I think Saban sees what Saban sees and I agree.
Seriously. With no question mark or blue font.

I'd appreciate the benefit of some insight beyond an attestation as to Nick Saban's infallibility.

What, specifically, is it that he sees and that you agree with?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seriously. With no question mark or blue font.

I'd appreciate the benefit of some insight beyond an attestation as to Nick Saban's infallibility.

What, specifically, is it that he sees and that you agree with?
I don't agree with everything Nick Saban does, but I'm going to guess he feels Locksley either helps in recruiting (especially his familiarity with the DC area) or he can help the offense. Saban's track record of hiring assistants is fairly good. He's not going to hire someone unless he believes the person helps the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am confused about the car loan. It must be illegal to loan a car to a 19 year old. Does one have to be 21 years old to make it legal? If so I have broken the law several times, thinking I was a compassionate fellow. I will have to check into this.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I don't agree with everything Nick Saban does, but I'm going to guess he feels Locksley either helps in recruiting (especially his familiarity with the DC area) or he can help the offense. Saban's track record of hiring assistants is fairly good. He's not going to hire someone unless he believes the person helps the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In agreement. I see no reason for anyone to second gues CNS.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.