Link: Former Maryland OC Mike Locksley Joins Bama Staff as Offensive Analyst

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
For the record, I'm not questioning the hire. Quite the opposite.

Given Saban's track record, I'm confident he sees something that does offset the off-field lapses and lack of stellar offensive production at his two most recent stops. I'm wondering what that something is.

I trust in Saban. That doesn't mean I don't want to learn more about his thought processes and methods of evaluating both coaching and player talent.

Hope that clears up my own thinking. Since curiosity as to Saban's thought process has clearly given some the impression that I don't think it's sound, this is the last I'll post on the subject.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For the record, I'm not questioning the hire. Quite the opposite.

Given Saban's track record, I'm confident he sees something that does offset the off-field lapses and lack of stellar offensive production at his two most recent stops. I'm wondering what that something is.

I trust in Saban. That doesn't mean I don't want to learn more about his thought processes and methods of evaluating both coaching and player talent.

Hope that clears up my own thinking. Since curiosity as to Saban's thought process has clearly given some the impression that I don't think it's sound, this is the last I'll post on the subject.
People have explained Locksley's recruiting success, but you've continued to ask why Saban would hire him. How many reasons do you want or need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
People have explained Locksley's recruiting success, but you've continued to ask why Saban would hire him. How many reasons do you want or need?

Well, I was kind of hoping someone here knew something tangible that would distinguish Locksley from Lance Thompson (another great recruiter who has difficulty outside of those duties).

But then I realized I was asking things which cannot be asked, and decided to repent my sin and ask no more.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The way I look at it, we have the best head coach in the country and he has assembled the best staff. I trust Coach Saban and I'm not concerned about an offensive analyst he has hired.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Well, I was kind of hoping someone here knew something tangible that would distinguish Locksley from Lance Thompson (another great recruiter who has difficulty outside of those duties).

But then I realized I was asking things which cannot be asked, and decided to repent my sin and ask no more.
He hired LT 3 times because he is a great recruiter - does ML need to be distinguished from him ?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

First, he wasn't hired in March for an on the field position. He's being paid $45,000 to dissect film and help create a gameplan. There is the big difference with Locksley compared to the other coaches you've mentioned.

Second, Alabama has offers to four Maryland recruits and nine Virginia recruits. If Alabama is able to get one or two of those Maryland recruits, Locklsey has earned his $45,000 salary.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I often wonder how great recruiters who can't coach their way out of a paper bag last very long. You'd think word would get around after a while a guy talks a good game but a player won't get better on the field under him.

I think people are just saying hiring Locksley is an odd choice. God forbid people not agree 100% with everything Saban does.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I often wonder how great recruiters who can't coach their way out of a paper bag last very long. You'd think word would get around after a while a guy talks a good game but a player won't get better on the field under him.
Because a good recruiter is able to talk his way past that and convince the recruit the other schools are just negatively recruiting.

I think people are just saying hiring Locksley is an odd choice. God forbid people not agree 100% with everything Saban does.
I even said I don't agree with everything Saban does. When someone asks why the hire would have been made and people give some possible reasons, is there reason to continue to ask "why, though?" That's the cause of some of our frustration.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think it's okay that We don't have to agree with what Saban does in his office when it comes to hiring coaches. There has been some questionable hires that didn't work out in the past. There has been great hires that didn't work out in the past as well. In the end, It usually work out for the best most of the time. I seriously doubt locklsey will be our new OC in the near future. There are far and plenty options out there and I think we'll end up getting someone that's even bigger than Kiffin, who knows?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I thought that the hire made immediate sense. I was perplexed as to why some people didn't get it. Then again, a lot of people ranted and raved after the Kiffin hire.

Look, Saban's hires do not always work out. I think he and everyone else gets that going in. Just like recruiting, you won't put 100% of the kids in the NFL, it just doesn't work like that. Every hire, every move is a calculated risk based on potential reward. Was Kiffin a risk? Sure, but he also was undoubtedly qualified for the job, and the positives outweighed the downside. Now, I think most fans would agree it was a good hire.

In this situation, Alabama got a former coordinator, a good recruiter, for peanuts! They got him for practically nothing to work an otherwise minor position. That's like getting a guy who started for another D1 team to come walk-on for your team. Who would turn their nose down at that bargain? He'd have to have done something really bad to say no to that right? The why was the reasons were always obvious in my opinion, he can help Alabama recruit. The other stuff? He's going to be sitting in an office someplace, c'mon...

This doesn't mean he was a great hire, but he was so cheap may be I'm missing this supposed downside. It seems like some people are oblivious to the big picture, which is what Nick Saban is so great at seeing. It's not just about any one aspect, it's all these things coming together to form a team that contends annually for a championship. That means you have a great S&C guy, you have great analysts, you worry about things like A-Day, and fan participation, you want every little advantage possible to overcome the inevitable obstacles. This is a big picture hire. It helps Alabama, and like RTR said if it pays off on just one recruit Alabama wants, it is well worth it. It's all about the big picture. No one is going to stay away from Alabama because of who their offensive analyst is! But, if he can get someone to go there???

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I thought that the hire made immediate sense. I was perplexed as to why some people didn't get it. Then again, a lot of people ranted and raved after the Kiffin hire.

Look, Saban's hires do not always work out. I think he and everyone else gets that going in. Just like recruiting, you won't put 100% of the kids in the NFL, it just doesn't work like that. Every hire, every move is a calculated risk based on potential reward. Was Kiffin a risk? Sure, but he also was undoubtedly qualified for the job, and the positives outweighed the downside. Now, I think most fans would agree it was a good hire.

In this situation, Alabama got a former coordinator, a good recruiter, for peanuts! They got him for practically nothing to work an otherwise minor position. That's like getting a guy who started for another D1 team to come walk-on for your team. Who would turn their nose down at that bargain? He'd have to have done something really bad to say no to that right? The why was the reasons were always obvious in my opinion, he can help Alabama recruit. The other stuff? He's going to be sitting in an office someplace, c'mon...

This doesn't mean he was a great hire, but he was so cheap may be I'm missing this supposed downside. It seems like some people are oblivious to the big picture, which is what Nick Saban is so great at seeing. It's not just about any one aspect, it's all these things coming together to form a team that contends annually for a championship. That means you have a great S&C guy, you have great analysts, you worry about things like A-Day, and fan participation, you want every little advantage possible to overcome the inevitable obstacles. This is a big picture hire. It helps Alabama, and like RTR said if it pays off on just one recruit Alabama wants, it is well worth it. It's all about the big picture. No one is going to stay away from Alabama because of who their offensive analyst is! But, if he can get someone to go there???
I'm betting that He'll end up as OC somewhere after one year with Alabama...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm betting that He'll end up as OC somewhere after one year with Alabama...
Wouldn't be all that surprised, that's the win/win part of the equation (potentially). You better believe he's going to get some good career advice from Saban, and he gets a chance to clean up his reputation a bit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.