Back Away from the Edge -- Recruiting Thoughts

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Reading some of these posts when 16-17 year olds decommit makes me laugh. Count no one committed before they sign or enroll in classes. The recruiting word is fluid and these young men have hundreds (if not thousands) of voices in their ears. The "recruiters" know their craft much better than do the young men or the parents.

As for Bama's coaching turnover and recruiting situation vis a vis UGA. It was a given that CKS would pick up some people he had been recruiting. That's the name of the game and not immoral, illegal or under the table. Just recruiting. We try to flip guys every January...and succeed on occasion.

What is notable is that CNS has a really good triumvirate of himself, CJP and CLK. Name me a better top three at recruiting and coaching? I don't see it...anywhere. If we think we know CNS' perceived weaknesses...don't you think he does? To be sure...I don't see these 2 going anywhere for a few years. They have the top two coordinator jobs in CFB -- and are paid accordingly. CLK may leave -- but only for a head coaching position. I personally believe CJP will be here in 5 years when a 70 year old CNS rides off into the sunset -- and then CJP will take the reins. That is all based on pure speculation, not one shred of any kind of knowledge, but a gut feeling that this is Bama's future -- provided all goes well over the next 5 years.

What is also notable is that CNS' recent hires -- on both sides of the ball -- are noted for their "recruiting" ability. That means they know how to sell (in the good sense of that term) -- themselves, their school and the future they can envision for a young man. Any successful person knows how to sell -- they are selling someone on something every day of their lives. Teachers, ministers, professors -- not to mention business persons, etc. -- that is what we do if you break it down to the bottom level. These hires tell me that CNS knows that he is getting older and that young kids may not relate to him in the same way. By hiring these coaches he fixes that possible weakness before it ever becomes one.

This program is STRONGER THAN EVER.

Sorry for the length -- just had to get a few thoughts out. No one up here in NC cares about football or Bama!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Two things I'd disagree with:

1. I think CNS relates pretty well with recruits. He's not your average 65 years old guy considering his work is working with 18-22 year olds year round.

2. I don't know who will follow CNS when he goes to the lake but I'd think CJP wouldn't be first up right now. I'd even expect CKS to get a look, especially if he has Georgia trending, but hasn't broken thru on the NC level. JMO.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I ain't worried about Coach Saban getting good players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The absolute last thing us Bama Fans needs to worry about when it comes to Bama Football with Coach Saban leading the way is recruiting..We've literally been on the most historic recruiting run in the history of college football & as long as Coach Saban is our HC that historic run will continue..I have no doubts about that at all..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If Pruitt is our next head coach I'd be amazed. That's all I'll say.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yup..Unless Pruitt gets a HC'ing job & does really really well, I don't see it happening, we learned our lesson hiring a coach with no HC'ing experience, Bama isn't a learn as ya go type school..We have the pedigree & the money to go after the best of the best HC's in college & NFL as far as that goes..I hope like hell we go after a proven HC with a proven system that works(I still hope that's not Dabo by the way)..

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yup..Unless Pruitt gets a HC'ing job & does really really well, I don't see it happening, we learned our lesson hiring a coach with no HC'ing experience, Bama isn't a learn as ya go type school..We have the pedigree & the money to go after the best of the best HC's in college & NFL as far as that goes..I hope like hell we go after a proven HC with a proven system that works(I still hope that's not Dabo by the way)..
May very well happen...the lesson we supposedly learned was not to hire idiots, whether they have been head coaches or not. The sequence of bad hires after Ray Perkins was of the 3 Stooges category. I would think that Bill Battle, or whomever is AD, will understand that, all else being equal, the intelligence level outweighs anything else. Yes, you want experience, persistence, personality, character and a great work ethic. But if you don't have a high intelligence person -- and CNS is that -- you will never get great success.

I really am enjoying being a Bama fan right now...that's the bottom line. Quite honestly, I have participated or led in 3 funerals in the past 3 weeks...at 65 I am taking nothing for granted!!

Go to church this am and spend some time with your family...you won't regret it!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not sure who was on the edge. Everyone that comes on this board knows we were #1 in recruiting the last 6 years and there is a real likelihood it will be 7 in a row and we know the sky is not falling. Yes, they are 16-17 y/o but the overwhelming majority keep their committment (see link I posted on another thread) so counting no one until they sign or enroll is misguided. You never like losing top 50 players and when you lose 2 in one day you do have to say it was a bad day. I needed to get this thought out there since this type of post is made every time we have a decommitt.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
A bit of perspective: We are still waiting for a Saban/Alabama recruiting class that is lower than a top five consensus. Other than the very first one, which was a month after being hired.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So someone asking why a player or two backs away from his commitment, all fans are on the ledge?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Pruitt is our next head coach I'd be amazed. That's all I'll say.

I just hope Alabama doesn't use a "search firm" to hire the next head coach. I've read several articles on how inefficient and detrimental those search firms can be..

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I just hope Alabama doesn't use a "search firm" to hire the next head coach. I've read several articles on how inefficient and detrimental those search firms can be..
I have a hunch that our "search firm" is the man currently at the helm. I have zero inside info on this, but I have a theory involving our current regime, why Battle is in no hurry to find his succesor, and what our future might entail.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have a hunch that our "search firm" is the man currently at the helm. I have zero inside info on this, but I have a theory involving our current regime, why Battle is in no hurry to find his succesor, and what our future might entail.

Do you care to share that theory?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No one even hinted that all fans are on the ledge...but there was an awful lot of sky is falling mentality.
I must have missed several posts then. I saw fans asking why the guys would back out, but I never saw people acting like the sky was falling.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Do you care to share that theory?
I'll give you the short form version.

Nick Saban has made it perfectly clear that even after coaching he wants a role within football.

Bill Battle was hired as a short term AD, or at least that was the plan discussed after Mal passed. If you've noticed there's been ZERO talk of a replacement, a search for a replacement, or any inkling that Battle is going anywhere.

Two and two leads me to believe that CNS will move in to the role of AD when he's ready to stop recruiting (we all know it's not coaching that runs guys off these days, it's recruiting ).

At that time not only will he be able to pick a succesor, he can be an ambassador for the University in all sports.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.