Where would you hold Spring Practice?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because it's a recruiting advantage to have a week-long practice at the athletic-boarding school that houses 11 of ESPN's top 300 recruits for the 2017 class.
Forgot to mention - it's a NCAA quiet period, so a team can apparently practice at said athletic-boarding school but other coaches can't visit.

Yeah, no reason to worry about that...

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Remember, the participants are students and this is college football. . They should be on campus so whatever studying is necessary can take place without disruption. Maybe academic requirements at Big 10 schools are so lax studying isn't a concern!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is another case of the haves vs the have nots and does create an unfair advantage for the haves. The sheer costs associated with travel, accommodations, food and supervising 100+ young people is mind boggling. Of the 129 FBS teams probably 25 percent or less could afford it without hurting its annual budget. IMO, the NCAA needs to put an end to this right now and let Harbaugh and other smart arse coaches know it will not happen again, period, no discussion.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Seeing as most of these responses are facetious, and we all know we'd rather just practice in Tuscaloosa because preparing is more effective than pandering, here are a few ideas.

We give a makeover to the Crimson Caravan and take practices on the road. A whirlwind 14 day, 10 city tour featuring the 16 time (Wooooo!) National Champions.

It kicks of in Tuscaloosa, obviously, before flying down for a practice in Miami. South Beach becomes Tide country, and guest speakers include Dwyane Wade, Pat Riley, and former Miami head coach Butch Davis.

From there we go to NOLA. We invade tiger country, and turn Bourbon Street into Bama BLVD. A trio of Saints come in as guests (Sean Payton, Drew Brees, and of course Mark Ingram).

Next up is a three city Texas tour. Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are all Tide Towns. We get to see a multitude of guests come speak at practices, including Jerry Jones (since Jerry World is our defacto home), Tony Romoifheshealthy, Coach Pop (Go Spurs), Tim Duncan, heck even former President and Rangers owner George W Bush! Texas takeover is complete.

Six cities down, 4 to go.

Next stop is Los Angeles. There we hold a special indoor practice at the forum. Kobe Bean Bryant is the guest host, as on his farewell tour he wants to be part of some sort of winner.

From there we fly to Seattle, and scrimmage vs the Seahawks. Pete Carroll is happy to host us, and the Seahawks learn a thing or two.

Next stop is Cleveland, Ohio. LeBron James actually request this as a stop, as he wanted to pick the brain of CNS. He also asks if NCAA rules would let him play TE for us.

Our final stop on the tour is back to Washington DC, where President Obama HAS asked us to hold a scrimmage on the White House lawn. He wants to QB the Crimson team against Lane Kiffin QBing the White team.

Then we make our way back to Tuscaloosa for the A-Day game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Maybe we need to hold one day of Spring Practice at Auburn.
Introduce football to Lee County. ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Neyland Stadium. No need to pay rent as we already own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I get the gist of your takes and hear ya! But again for me, i'd love to see the most boring part of the sports year opened up a lil! Living on the west coast ( I know if i wanna see the TIDE practice buy a plane ticket to TTown) but it would be cool to take my family to a week of Alabama practice and fan fun type stuff in California or Florida! I just dont think some of these schools wanting to broaden their reach is so bad as long as it's fair for everyone else to do the same.

Maybe a few schools do time shares. That would mean partisan politics, but maybe USC & Bama switch stadiums for a week during the spring? Florida goes to Michigan and Michigan to Florida for a week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I get the gist of your takes and hear ya! But again for me, i'd love to see the most boring part of the sports year opened up a lil! Living on the west coast ( I know if i wanna see the TIDE practice buy a plane ticket to TTown) but it would be cool to take my family to a week of Alabama practice and fan fun type stuff in California or Florida! I just dont think some of these schools wanting to broaden their reach is so bad as long as it's fair for everyone else to do the same.

Maybe a few schools do time shares. That would mean partisan politics, but maybe USC & Bama switch stadiums for a week during the spring? Florida goes to Michigan and Michigan to Florida for a week.
I'll put it in more blunt terms for you --

Coaches in the SEC, lower half of the ACC, Texas, and California don't want other schools coming into their state to get attention from the recruits. The only reason schools want to do this is recruiting. Coaches want other schools staying away from the homegrown talent.

BamaGalfromN.AL

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 8, 2007
Can't believe the NCAA approved this during a quiet period when NO coaches are supposed to be off campus anywhere near HS recruits. I hope they put a stop to it or at least change the rules so other HCs can attend the open practices if they have the nerve to do so (just to .... off the first HC). The current loophole doesn't seem to promote a level playing field. And yes, I prefer them staying on their own campus or at least within 100-200 miles if they are seeking a better facility set up or team bonding experience. I don't think teams should mix practice with free vacations, again it seems like an NCAA violation of an added perk all thanks to a loophole. Having said that, if this continues, I vote to head to Miami for a few days and let the team 'mix with the locals' on South Beach during their 'down time.' Southern Cal would be next, followed maybe by a near-coastal venue in GA or TX. :)

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Haiti. Stimulate the local economy and show recruits exactly how blessed they are to play a game and at the same time visit a tropical paradise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
For the sake of the question, Hawaii. Or for that matter, some other tropical locale. You promise a recruit a free trip to an exotic locale every year and it's something other schools can't offer. Like another poster mentioned above, it's the have's and have not's. The smaller schools can't offer it and those on the bubble get their bubble popped because they can't keep up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.