Virginia Tech coach bring veterans to teach team respect for national anthem

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It does not bother me at all that some people are not patriotic, but at least be respectful during the playing of the anthem for those in the audience who have served. You don't have to love America, or even the song, to show respect for those who have served.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
It does not bother me at all that some people are not patriotic, but at least be respectful during the playing of the anthem for those in the audience who have served. You don't have to love America, or even the song, to show respect for those who have served.
If you don't...take your sorry butt to whatever podunct, third world, crap country that has what you like and watch/get paid to play said sport. That touches a nerve with me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you don't...take your sorry butt to whatever podunct, third world, crap country that has what you like and watch/get paid to play said sport. That touches a nerve with me.
America was founded by people who were rebellious. It shouldn't surprise you that we still are, as a people, rebellious. It is one of our defining characteristics.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm not a super patriotic person, and I won't get in to that because it is a NS issue, but I think you should be respectful when the National Anthem is being played.

Whether you put your hand over your heart and sing, or you don't and just stand there quietly, be respectful for those around you, those who served, and those who did give their lives for our country.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saw something in that same vein from the Hokies at the 1998 Music City Bowl. They kicked our butts, but I came away with admiration for them.

The bowl got a studio guitarist to play the anthem. He dooded it up to the point that I honestly couldn't tell where he was in the song. The crowd started to get restless. A smattering of boos broke out, and they got increasingly loud.

Then, from the stands, the VT band struck up a more traditional version. The whole crowd -- Alabama and Tech fans alike -- cheered and sang along.

It's the only good memory I have from an embarrassment of a game.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
America was founded by people who were rebellious. It shouldn't surprise you that we still are, as a people, rebellious. It is one of our defining characteristics.
We down South Paul. We know all about rebellion.

Much respect to VT. I will continue to be a fan.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
It helps when you have a military band, chorus, or combination thereof, perform the anthem, rather than some ego-maniacal self-indulgent pop stars, sharing their out-of-tune, arrhythmic, special and unique interpretation, while showing off their assets, milking the moment for their own glory. It's the national anthem, not a Top 40 hit. Oh well, I'm old and out of touch. I can hit the mute button.

It ain't gonna change. American heroes don't get as many eyeballs on TV sets as American Idols.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
It helps when you have a military band, chorus, or combination thereof, perform the anthem, rather than some ego-maniacal self-indulgent pop stars, sharing their out-of-tune, arrhythmic, special and unique interpretation, while showing off their assets, milking the moment for their own glory. It's the national anthem, not a Top 40 hit. Oh well, I'm old and out of touch. I can hit the mute button.

It ain't gonna change. American heroes don't get as many eyeballs on TV sets as American Idols.
No, it's not your age. I'm still pretty green and can tell you that most pop-stars singing the anthem holds no appeal to the general public or younger generation UNLESS, everyone knows that have an incredible set of pipes on them. Hearing a human, ANY HUMAN, sing exceptionally well is a treat and doubly so when it is the anthem. The problem is those folks are few and far between.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Personally, I think Whitney Houston sang the best rendition of the National Anthem that I've ever heard.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Personally, I think Whitney Houston sang the best rendition of the National Anthem that I've ever heard.
She did quite well and surprisingly, Lady Gaga did a great job as well. It think they fit right in with what Bamagator is saying. They didn't make the performance an opportunity to make a show of themselves. They respected the anthem and the country without embellishing the original song.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
She did quite well and surprisingly, Lady Gaga did a great job as well. It think they fit right in with what Bamagator is saying. They didn't make the performance an opportunity to make a show of themselves. They respected the anthem and the country without embellishing the original song.
Lady Gaga blew me away with hers. Best rendition in years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Agree, it is ridiculous the number of so called artist that take the anthem and try to make it their own version. I hate the different renditions of it. Carrie Underwood did a excellent version a few years ago, not sure how she sings it now.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.