Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not sure why there would be a concern on the Defense line at all. I saw someone said that there isn't much talent behind 4 guys we lost and I'm not sure if I agree with this:

DE- Allen/ Open
DT- Payne/ Fraizer
DE- Hand/Tomlinson
Potential Playing time this fall: Johnny Dwight, OJ Smith, Raekwon Davis, Kendell Jones and Quinnen Williams
That's lot of talent on that line. Now with the rotation we probably will see Kendell Jones, Raekwon Davis and Williams playing in the rotation. Hand did that last year and had no issue.
I'm not concerned about the lack of experience. The coach will get them ready. We still have Allen, payne and Hand starting and they will set an example. Hand played a lot last year, so that counts as an experience no matter what. If you played in the game, you got an experience.

On Tim Williams: The reason he came back this year because he has an opportunity to show that he can play 3 downs and be good at it. I would think there will be some interesting experiment at ILB and OLB spot this spring and in the fall.

Now, finally..... I agree with CrimsonForce... I don't think his response was out of line, and in fact, I think the last few posts has been more of what was misunderstood.... Both posters made valid points, but I can see why CrimsonForce said what he had to say on this. Just because we lost few people doesn't mean we're really lacking on experience and talents.

Keep that in mind, we play lot of different formations in 3-4, nickel and dime, so lot of players could get different looks each week.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Do you know what the expression step back from the ledge means? I ask because the way you used it implies that you may not understand the meaning. Step back from the ledge or something similar is usually used to address an overly negative or doom and gloom type post. I was responded to a negative post with a very positive post. I don't really want to spar with you on the issue I just found it odd the way you used that figure of speech.

I think we're on the same wavelength about the defensive line. The starters and key backups are just about as talented as the ones from last year but it doesn't appear that we have as much interior depth. I'm hoping that doesn't bite us to bad and I don't think it will because we only play a few teams (LSU, Arkansas maybe AU) who are committed to running the ball between the tackles. I could see the defensive line this year being a group that may be a tad weaker against the run but maybe even better than last year at rushing the QB and containing dual threat QBs and spread offenses..
know exactly what it means - but it's not about something overly negative or doom and gloom. It's meaning is to turn away from the untruth. i.e. someone about to jump off the ledge thinks that's the best option, but it never really is.

I'm still concerned about our second line depth. Last year, two deep there was not much drop off. in 2016 I don't think that will be the case except between Tomlinson and Hand. All the other #2 guys are questions right now.

I actually worry less about the run because those teams, other than maybe AU, don't try to speed up and wear us out, so we don't have to be as deep, and we know that Payne and probably Smith can man the NT spot in the 3-4. When we shift to the 4-2 and have three guys trying to play with speed we only have three that are likely 3 down guys (hand, allen and Tomlinson) then maybe Payne if he continues to progress. That's still really thin when we start the rotation. Hopefully King can step in and play quality reps right away.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
know exactly what it means - but it's not about something overly negative or doom and gloom. It's meaning is to turn away from the untruth. i.e. someone about to jump off the ledge thinks that's the best option, but it never really is.

I'm still concerned about our second line depth. Last year, two deep there was not much drop off. in 2016 I don't think that will be the case except between Tomlinson and Hand. All the other #2 guys are questions right now.

I actually worry less about the run because those teams, other than maybe AU, don't try to speed up and wear us out, so we don't have to be as deep, and we know that Payne and probably Smith can man the NT spot in the 3-4. When we shift to the 4-2 and have three guys trying to play with speed we only have three that are likely 3 down guys (hand, allen and Tomlinson) then maybe Payne if he continues to progress. That's still really thin when we start the rotation. Hopefully King can step in and play quality reps right away.
Minkah... remember him? Dude played a huge role last year... With Sheffield or brown at Money position we'll be fine.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Anyone heard anything on how Holcombe is doing at LB? I assume the fact that according to AL.COM he is going to Athens tonight to meet up with the baseball team for the weekend series means he is missing th scrimmage Saturday. If so, leads me to believe he is not in the 2 deep and probably not in the 3 deep.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Anyone heard anything on how Holcombe is doing at LB? I assume the fact that according to AL.COM he is going to Athens tonight to meet up with the baseball team for the weekend series means he is missing th scrimmage Saturday. If so, leads me to believe he is not in the 2 deep and probably not in the 3 deep.
According to BOL, he'll be back in time for the scrimmage.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
According to BOL, he'll be back in time for the scrimmage.
Kid`s got to be one terrific athlete. Ever noticed how so many of these guys can play ( and many times very well, at a minimum ) practically any game that involves a ball? In my particular lifetime, the best I ever saw was Kenny Stabler. Always thought his best sport was baseball.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Kid`s got to be one terrific athlete. Ever noticed how so many of these guys can play ( and many times very well, at a minimum ) practically any game that involves a ball? In my particular lifetime, the best I ever saw was Kenny Stabler. Always thought his best sport was baseball.
He is a great athlete. Hits lead-off on the baseball team and has the fastest plate to 1st base time on the team and faster than most major leaguers. He will make a good contribution this year (would be greater if no baseball) but his future may be in baseball.

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
2015 defense was a beast but,imo,2011 best front 7 and best overall defense in Bama history and quite possibly college football history! the numbers speak for themselves! RTR!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2015 defense was a beast but,imo,2011 best front 7 and best overall defense in Bama history and quite possibly college football history! the numbers speak for themselves! RTR!!!
And the offenses faced by that defense don't compare to the offenses faced by the 2013, 2014, or 2015 defenses. The game has changed.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Probably should wait until we see the DL in action before making this comment. Guys like Hand, Frazier, and Payne aren't horrible.

And what does a lengthy QB battle have to do with the team having a game manager at QB?
To me the very best QB is the guy that does whatever is necessary to win the game...
I'd never call them a Game Manager when they win the game.
If the Defense dictates we throw then we throw.
If the game sez we need to run, the QB makes a clean hand off and he has done his job well.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Well, they kind of go hand in hand. Good coverage down field can make a QB hesitate. Sometimes that`s all the D line needs.
True - need both to be effective. DL needs to get initial push so the QB knows he's got a ticking clock so the DBs don't have to cover forever, and the DBs need to have tight coverage on the line so the DL has time to get back there.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
True - need both to be effective. DL needs to get initial push so the QB knows he's got a ticking clock so the DBs don't have to cover forever, and the DBs need to have tight coverage on the line so the DL has time to get back there.
Right. Last year... The secondary didn't have to cover for long time, because the DL line constantly pressured the QB. Remember Texas A and M? Minkah picked the ball off several times. So I'm saying It makes everyone job easier if the D line does what theyre supposed to do.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Adding to what I said last night about the offenses being different in 2015...

The numbers do speak for themselves. The 2011 defense averaged an interception a game while the 2015 defense averaged 1.3 interceptions a game. The 2011 defense recorded 2.3 sacks a game compared to the 3.5 per game recorded by the 2015 defense.

The 2011 defense gave up an average of 183.62 yards per game while the 2015 gave up 276.33. The difference? The 2015 defense's opponents averaged 66.01 yards more on the season. Each defense held its opponents to over 100 yards below their season average (162.46 in 2011 and 135.76 in 2015). The 2011 defense did much better by holding opponents to an average of 3.41 yards per play while the 2015 defense held opponents to 4.25 yards per play.

IOW, each defense was great. The 2015 defense got more sacks and interceptions while the 2011 defense wouldn't kept teams well below their averages.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.