Game Thread: SEC Tournament Game #2: Alabama-Kentucky (6:00 CT)

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
The typical Kentucky-called game goes one of two ways: Most likely, the first half is egregiously, horribly biased in order to get their lead built, and then the calls level out while the opponent plays comfortably behind. At some point a "blown call" or two will actually be called against UK to make it seems as though both teams are catching tough breaks. Calipari can have "his time of the month" and look incredibly pathetic on the sideline in complaint. The opponent usually has one or two runs in them to chop the lead, and the calls come back in order to preserve it. Into the second half, the opponent is so disoriented because of all this that they aren't playing the game they may well have otherwise played.

Less likely, such as in our game at Rupp in 2012, the opponent is playing better than UK and sustains the early bad calls to have a slim lead or be neck-and-neck late in the game. At that point, the refs simply take over and hold UK's hand at the foul line if needed to get the win. In that instance, UK made one FG in the last nine minutes of the game but were something like 19-22 from the foul line. They won by 3 or 4 points.

A team has to be noticeably more talented than them and mentally tough enough to overcome all of that (and we're not either at the moment) to stand a shot at Rupp or on a neutral court (not that it's absolutely absent even at home). The worst part is UK players whining when they actually get called and most of all watching Calipari being all disingenuous and obnoxious in his post-game interview.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The typical Kentucky-called game goes one of two ways: Most likely, the first half is egregiously, horribly biased in order to get their lead built, and then the calls level out while the opponent plays comfortably behind. At some point a "blown call" or two will actually be called against UK to make it seems as though both teams are catching tough breaks. Calipari can have "his time of the month" and look incredibly pathetic on the sideline in complaint. The opponent usually has one or two runs in them to chop the lead, and the calls come back in order to preserve it. Into the second half, the opponent is so disoriented because of all this that they aren't playing the game they may well have otherwise played.

Less likely, such as in our game at Rupp in 2012, the opponent is playing better than UK and sustains the early bad calls to have a slim lead or be neck-and-neck late in the game. At that point, the refs simply take over and hold UK's hand at the foul line if needed to get the win. In that instance, UK made one FG in the last nine minutes of the game but were something like 19-22 from the foul line. They won by 3 or 4 points.

A team has to be noticeably more talented than them and mentally tough enough to overcome all of that (and we're not either at the moment) to stand a shot at Rupp or on a neutral court (not that it's absolutely absent even at home). The worst part is UK players whining when they actually get called and most of all watching Calipari being all disingenuous and obnoxious in his post-game interview.
Point somewhat taken, but you sound like the other SEC crybabies talking about how the refs are in Bama's football favor and don't ever call holding on us, etc. There may have a few missed calls but we got beat.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Missed it. Balancing out the checkbook and no SEC Network for me with my cable provider optimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'll just say this, when our players know that they can't win because of the officiating, it affects their play. No doubt UK is a more talented team, but they are not 26 points better. We had 7 points wiped off the board in the 1st half. It is a different game when you begin the half tied or at least close.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I'll just say this, when our players know that they can't win because of the officiating, it affects their play. No doubt UK is a more talented team, but they are not 26 points better. We had 7 points wiped off the board in the 1st half. It is a different game when you begin the half tied or at least close.
Interesting point. And with Bama's limitations, putting Obasohan into early foul trouble on two bogus calls may have had an impact.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Point somewhat taken, but you sound like the other SEC crybabies talking about how the refs are in Bama's football favor and don't ever call holding on us, etc. There may have a few missed calls but we got beat.
It may sound that way, but the stats don't back it up. The disparity of fouls/penalties between Kentucky Bball games and Alabama football games aren't on the same planet with each other. UK is obviously more talented, and the refs had nothing to do with all their offensive rebounds, but they aren't 20 - plus points better with Bama dialed in at the beginning of the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Had dinner with my in-laws tonight, so I missed the last 30 minutes or so. I'll say this - Chris Stewart wasn't shy about making it known the officials waved off 7 points in the first half.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.