Which conference has the best head coaches?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Scarborough: The SEC may be top heavy, but it holds the ultimate trump card -- and, no, we're not talking about The Donald here -- in Nick Saban. If you have the best coach of his generation, that ought to count for something. And, besides, you can look around the rest of the conference and find solid coaches like Jim McElwain, Les Miles and Dan Mullen.

Scarborough: I think the SEC took a pretty big step back when [Steve] Spurrier and [Gary] Pinkel walked away. And given the down years of [Gus] Malzahn and Sumlin, some of the luster is gone there. If Les doesn't win this year, the herd starts to look awfully thin behind Saban. The new coaches (Kirby Smart, Barry Odom, Will Muschamp) could turn out to be solid, but they're not what you'd call home run hires, in my opinion.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14950798/which-conference-best-head-coaches

I guess losing Spurrier and Richt has brought us down a peg but I still put ours up against anyone.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
There's no conference even close to the SEC when it comes to coaching.
Agree. Bielema and Dan Mullen are the most underrated, imo. James Franklin was another good one that we lost, but yes, there is no comparison.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
BIG10 closing fast. The recent East hires is not splashy and if they do not produce it will be bad actually. West coaches are good.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
BIG10 closing fast. The recent East hires is not splashy and if they do not produce it will be bad actually. West coaches are good.
Can Urban maintain excellence, and what is the end result of Harbaugh? So it's 50% hype now. Will be interesting to see the Big 10 this year. I am all for OSU and Michigan being top 5 teams....it's healthy for the game. I like power from all the conferences, it makes the game more interesting.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Can Urban maintain excellence, and what is the end result of Harbaugh? So it's 50% hype now. Will be interesting to see the Big 10 this year. I am all for OSU and Michigan being top 5 teams....it's healthy for the game. I like power from all the conferences, it makes the game more interesting.
Me too. I love the traditional power battles. I would like to see Nebraska become a power again but I think they are going to have to hire a really good HC instead of going to budget route.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The question isn't whether the 2016 roster of SEC coaches is better or worse than the 2015 version. It's which conference has the best roster.

It's the SEC, and despite losing some formerly-good coaches this year, it's not close. Sure, some other leagues have top coaches who could compete in the SEC. Nobody, however, has the depth. Look at the 4th through 10th best coaches in the SEC, and compare them to 4-10 in the BIG or Pac.

Put another way, if the SEC doesn't have the best overall list, who does?

BTW -- I would also argue that losing Spurrier and Richt, as they were in 2015, wasn't that big a deal. The 2015 version of the HBC was barely a shadow of what he was earlier in his career. And I always thought Richt rode the two early SEC championships until that horse broke down like the one in Gone With The Wind. His teams were undisciplined and forever in trouble. The only thing they did with any consistency was get arrested and vastly under-achieve their talent.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's hard to tell about the SEC because there is so much turnover. IMO, Gus, Muschamp, Derek Mason, Sumlin, and Mark Stoops are bottom feeders. Bart, Mullen, Les, and Butch are pretty good coaches. Jury is out on CKS and CJM. Absolutely no question in anyone's mind who the best coach in the game is.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's hard to tell about the SEC because there is so much turnover.
I am leaning this way, too. The SEC has the best at the top, and a lot of great potential, but turnover among the "tier 2" coaches means that we just have to wait and see.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Dantonio, and Ferentz are solid coaches, and I think Riley and Smith will get their respective programs moving up.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Me too. I love the traditional power battles. I would like to see Nebraska become a power again but I think they are going to have to hire a really good HC instead of going to budget route.
I think Riley has them on the right path.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.