Link: 2002 #10 Alabama vs. #14 LSU Highlights - Coach Saban opposite Rammer Jammer.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Carnell Williams was a lifelong Bama fan and he ended up at Auburn. Was it because Tubby was the bee's knees? Circumstances...
I agree, during that span of time the probation and coaching turnover cost us any number of big time recruits. Would Cadillac have come to Alabama under the circumstances of no probation and Franchione as HC, who knows for sure?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Not to be argumentative, but I wonder how many recruits actually come to Alabama because it is Alabama or because of CNS and his staff. IMO, in this age of college football a highly rated recruit, unless he has some connection to the program or has always dreamed of playing for Alabama, is more swayed by the coach rather than the program. I believe this has not always been the case. Case in point would be Rashaun Evans, a 5 star recruit, an auburn legacy from Lee County. Did he sign with Alabama because it was Alabama or because of CNS's record of developing players for the NFL? While I believe our reputation, or brand, is a real plus, it is my opinion it is the coach that carries the most weight when a recruit makes his decision.
That's a great question..I think the high level we're recruiting at right now is a mix of both honestly..When Alabama isn't bogged down with NCAA sanctions & is able to recruit on a level playing field, our rich Tradition & History, is the biggest draw in college recruiting & Crimson Tide Football sells itself to the elite recruits nationwide..

Coach Saban is the absolute best recruiter in the history of college football, then when you combine Coach Saban's recruiting abilities, with the recruiting tools only Crimson Tide Football can offer..It's college football's worst nightmare come true & it's called "The Process"..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That's a great question..I think the high level we're recruiting at right now is a mix of both honestly..When Alabama isn't bogged down with NCAA sanctions & is able to recruit on a level playing field, our rich Tradition & History, is the biggest draw in college recruiting & Crimson Tide Football sells itself to the elite recruits nationwide.........
Great response. Coach Saban was smart to include the fanbase in the Process from the first presser, and we delivered at A day. No question that having to close the gates at a packed A-Day had impact to some percentage with that first great recruiting class that got the ball rolling. I have no doubt that coach Saban knows the importance of our tradidtion more than the average fan. And he has stated that over and over. There is truth that any decent coach can win 10 games at Alabama while not under the influence of probation. There might be 3 schools where coach Saban could win 4 in 7, but much is on his genius, but never forget that machine that is Alabama, it's awesome, and why Coach Bryant and Coach Saban stayed.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Great response. Coach Saban was smart to include the fanbase in the Process from the first presser, and we delivered at A day. No question that having to close the gates at a packed A-Day had impact to some percentage with that first great recruiting class that got the ball rolling. I have no doubt that coach Saban knows the importance of our tradidtion more than the average fan. And he has stated that over and over. There is truth that any decent coach can win 10 games at Alabama while not under the influence of probation. There might be 3 schools where coach Saban could win 4 in 7, but much is on his genius, but never forget that machine that is Alabama, it's awesome, and why Coach Bryant and Coach Saban stayed.
Exactly & I agree 100% with ya my friend..It kills LSU fans because we've been able to actually keep Coach Saban as our HC & I honestly think he loves our State, our University & us Bama Fans..Coach Saban has rooted his Family in our State & he will retire from here in about 7-8yrs to their chagrin..

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Now that was a fun game to be at. Tailgated with some family friends who are LSU folks and had all the gumbo I could eat (it was cold and damp, so the gumbo really hit the spot that day). It was also my 21st birthday...don't remember much beyond the end of the game.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Exactly & I agree 100% with ya my friend..It kills LSU fans because we've been able to actually keep Coach Saban as our HC & I honestly think he loves our State, our University & us Bama Fans..Coach Saban has rooted his Family in our State & he will retire from here in about 7-8yrs to their chagrin..
I like that coach is not disingenuous. It took him a pretty long time to start sporting the Crimson Jacket. Never a suck up, we had to win him over, and we did! He loves us as much as we do him, maybe a little bit less, but pretty close.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
They all have a plan until you hit them in the mouth. We will always be Alabama.
A Bama team with some sort of stability and "good" maybe not excellent coaching is a force of nature due to our tradition. I think we probably would have a national championship without coach Saban with a "good" coach. Coach Saban just happens to have given us 4. I think that number is too hard to really appreciate now, 4! I can understand why LSU fans are upset. But I did like that smoke draw, and options, those two Fran teams were fun to watch. Much of the credit goes to the players and our tradition of smash you in the mouth. Players tend to do what gets our fanbase fired up, and that was to run the ball and play hard nosed defense.

The closest Coach Saban has seen to this team was the 2009 Georgia Southern Team, which had totally inferior players but ran through us like......through a tin horn. Coach has evolved a lot on stopping the option attack from those games.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.