Link: 2002 #10 Alabama vs. #14 LSU Highlights - Coach Saban opposite Rammer Jammer.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Highlights from a game I think introduced Coach Saban to Alabama, and our enthusiastic road crew. Couple of observations, Coach Saban was in his 2nd season and similar to at Bama, the team improved rapidly afterwards, but I think he had to admire our fan base and tradition. Bama had some studs, Watts was effective. The team looked well coached and is why I think Fran's departure had psychological impact on his career, he was not the same coach from TCU and Bama at aTm. This was a well coached team imo. It just got away from Coach Saban's LSU.
Bama vs LSU 2002. Death Valley was nearly empty by the 4th quarter. Probation aside, Bama is Bama.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Also the era where Nike made put an awful Sheen on our pants and white jersey's, which did not last long.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That game was awesome! The game next year was not so much. In fact, when Shula decided to go for a FGA when down 27-0 was one of my first signs that he was not going to cut it. Just did it to avoid the home shutout on his ledger instead of fighting to win the game.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That game was awesome! The game next year was not so much. In fact, when Shula decided to go for a FGA when down 27-0 was one of my first signs that he was not going to cut it. Just did it to avoid the home shutout on his ledger instead of fighting to win the game.
I think his best looking team was his first game of his first season against Oky, basically Fran's team. Much unlike Stalling's and Saban who tore down and rebuilt, which seems to be a trait of a good head coach. Bielema has done that at Arky. I forgot all about Beard, he was a stud at RB.

I believe Bama was on probation but was ranked #10 by either the AP or coaches, one of them recognized and the other did not, as well as ESPN, which is why you do not see #10 next to Bama. We would have had a great season if not for the coaching distraction.......it cost us the Iron Bowl. The players deserved better.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That was a fun team to watch that's for sure..Coach fRan did a really good coaching job that year & would have rode out the NCAA sanctions had he stayed..But..In hindsight had he not left we wouldn't have Coach Saban right now..That's a scary thought..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That was a fun team to watch that's for sure..Coach fRan did a really good coaching job that year & would have rode out the NCAA sanctions had he stayed..But..In hindsight had he not left we wouldn't have Coach Saban right now..That's a scary thought..
He had Croyle as a buffer for the probation period, the best arm since Namath. I wonder if his coaching and conditioning, running game strategy could have kept him healthy? If so, we would have had 7-5 season's. Really no reason to ponder, it ruined Fran and put us in a horrible situation. But I do not blame Mal, Fran, at the time, was a solid hire. Backfired due to his success in 2 season's. Painful to say, but the team is well coached.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
For those who make fun of the "smoke draw" it worked pretty damn well against CNS's defense? I think Dennis was a terrible hire and it is my only problem with Mal Moore.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
He had Croyle as a buffer for the probation period, the best arm since Namath. I wonder if his coaching and conditioning, running game strategy could have kept him healthy? If so, we would have had 7-5 season's. Really no reason to ponder, it ruined Fran and put us in a horrible situation. But I do not blame Mal, Fran, at the time, was a solid hire. Backfired due to his success in 2 season's. Painful to say, but the team is well coached.
We were holding the rope and Fran let go.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Wasn't this the game where Fran whipped up some phony beef against Saban and then got in his face about it after the game or something? Man what a chump he was.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
This is the last and only 2nd time a Saban coached team has been shut out.
It was also Saban's only loss to Bama. This was his third season at LSU and beat Bama in 2000, '01, '03, and '04 and none of them were really close. He would win the national title the next season. I also believe this game may have been the week after the miracle hail mary at UK for LSU. And yes, Fran went on a diatribe after the game at midfield about something that Saban had said in a post game locker room speech to his LSU players.

Personally, I do not think that this Bama team was that well coached, but the upperclassmen were that talented. The '99 recruiting year was a pretty good year for us and those guys were Juniors and Seniors....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It was also Saban's only loss to Bama. This was his third season at LSU and beat Bama in 2000, '01, '03, and '04 and none of them were really close. He would win the national title the next season. I also believe this game may have been the week after the miracle hail mary at UK for LSU. And yes, Fran went on a diatribe after the game at midfield about something that Saban had said in a post game locker room speech to his LSU players.

Personally, I do not think that this Bama team was that well coached, but the upperclassmen were that talented. The '99 recruiting year was a pretty good year for us and those guys were Juniors and Seniors....
So easy to shell the coach that went on to disgrace himself. Just want to give a little credit to the Bama machine, and those that have coached it. Yes, Coach Saban is a great coach, but he would not have built this kind of dynasty at LSU, sorry. I never heard a bgad word about Fran's coaching until after he imploded himself. Give credit due where it is warranted, the machine and tradition that is Alabama, that brings out the best in most coaches. We are here before and after good and great coaches, but never forget the machine of Alabama. And this was coach Saban's 3rd season? 0-31 never would have happened to a 3rd year coach Saban team at Alabama. I have pride in the program, it goes a long way :) and why coach Saban is here.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This is the last and only 2nd time a Saban coached team has been shut out.
Not even Nick Saban himself could convince me that he didn't come to Tuscaloosa in 2003 to return the favor. The EXACT same 31-0 favor. When LSU bogged down with the score 24-0 and had to kick a FG making the score 27-0 instead of 31-0, Saban really got PO'd. When Bama kicked the late FG to deny him his shutout, I thought he was going to die of a stroke right there on the sideline.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
For those who make fun of the "smoke draw" it worked pretty damn well against CNS's defense? I think Dennis was a terrible hire and it is my only problem with Mal Moore.
We don't see that many draws with that long of a delay on the hand off anymore. I've wondered what killed that draw concept because in pass heavy offense it seems that it would still be very effective. Auburn uses it some but we've generally bottled it up pretty well.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
We don't see that many draws with that long of a delay on the hand off anymore. I've wondered what killed that draw concept because in pass heavy offense it seems that it would still be very effective. Auburn uses it some but we've generally bottled it up pretty well.
.We seemed to use it with a misdirection effectively in this game. Surprising how easy the backs could get outside the ends and gain 10+. Different era, but effective. I commend Fran and Torbush for a great game plan, but its the Alabama machine at work, that extra will to win and pride to be with the Tide. It did have an advantage. No doubt Fran would have fielded a better team than Shula during probation. Again, my point is that Alabama is superior for whatever reason when you add in tradition and the built in will to win. No matter who the coach, you have a built in advantage that stretches over a century.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not to be argumentative, but I wonder how many recruits actually come to Alabama because it is Alabama or because of CNS and his staff. IMO, in this age of college football a highly rated recruit, unless he has some connection to the program or has always dreamed of playing for Alabama, is more swayed by the coach rather than the program. I believe this has not always been the case. Case in point would be Rashaun Evans, a 5 star recruit, an auburn legacy from Lee County. Did he sign with Alabama because it was Alabama or because of CNS's record of developing players for the NFL? While I believe our reputation, or brand, is a real plus, it is my opinion it is the coach that carries the most weight when a recruit makes his decision.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Not to be argumentative, but I wonder how many recruits actually come to Alabama because it is Alabama or because of CNS and his staff. IMO, in this age of college football a highly rated recruit, unless he has some connection to the program or has always dreamed of playing for Alabama, is more swayed by the coach rather than the program. I believe this has not always been the case. Case in point would be Rashaun Evans, a 5 star recruit, an auburn legacy from Lee County. Did he sign with Alabama because it was Alabama or because of CNS's record of developing players for the NFL? While I believe our reputation, or brand, is a real plus, it is my opinion it is the coach that carries the most weight when a recruit makes his decision.
.I think that is the question of all questions of all questions. My personal belief is that that you have a built in recruiting advatange. You can get into position specifics due to the coach, but 90,000+ showed up at spring game 2007. The ability for Alabama to get a quality coach on some over the top probation vs when we are free and clear is night and day, and think many younger fans missed that during our decade on probation. Alabama is a top 5 job and coach Saban was smart enough to jump on it when others where still under the influence of the media. When not on probation, we will get quality talent, and win 10 games, exceptional coaches that can handle the pressure can take it to the next level. which Coach Saban did. It is a destination for those that know that are top tier and want the fruits of that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Carnell Williams was a lifelong Bama fan and he ended up at Auburn. Was it because Tubby was the bee's knees? Circumstances...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.