Blog: Latest Bama News 3/14/2016 Thru 3/20/2016

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Re: Latest Bama News 3/14/2016 Thru 3/17/2016

Nick Saban explains decision to hire Brent Key-rbr
The Alabama head coach hired ex-Central Florida offensive coordinator and running backs coach Brent Key as the Crimson Tide's interior offensive line coach, leaving former UA offensive line coach Mario Cristobal to coach Alabama's tight ends and offensive tackles and sending former tight ends coachBobby Williams to an off-field role.
Following the Crimson Tide's first practice of the spring season Friday, Saban explained why he decided to hire Key.
"We interviewed Brent when we hired an offensive line coach three years ago," Saban said Friday afternoon, "was very impressed with him and thought that he would be somebody we'd always want to hire if we had the opportunity to. We felt like this was a good fit for him. It's obvious he had a lot of experience, he's got a lot of energy and enthusiasm and he's got a great reputation. We've been pleased so far with the progress we've made with him."
rbr-op
The mark of a great CEO is a willingness and ability to assemble an all-star staff. Saban has done this, with outstanding recruiting and coaching across the board. It will be interesting to see if Burns has any new wrinkles for the special teams units.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member

Calvin Ridley 40 time among notable numbers from Alabama spring testing-rbr
I normally don't link slide shows, but this one warrants an exception. The athleticism on this roster is incredible, with guys at multiple positions posting scores that would have ranked highly at the NFL Combine. Of note: Robert Foster, Tony Brown, and Anthony Averett all tied for the fastest time in the 40 at 4.34, just a shade better than Calvin Ridley at 4.35. Cooper Bateman is the fastest QB on the roster and would have been the fastest at the Combine. Jalen Hurts isn't far behind. Blake Barnett has increased his bench press 50 pounds since last spring, now pushing up 295. OJ Howard unsurprisingly posted NFL-type numbers, and Daron Payne sounds like a future top 10 pick: 500-lb. bench, 600-lb. squat, and his 4.93 in the 40 would have topped the list at the Combine for all defensive linemen over 295 lbs. By the way, he weighs in at 319. The entire list is interesting and worth your time.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member

The Read Option

A daily college football newsletter
by Jason Kirk
This is pretty much the March Madness bracket college football would use, if it had a tournament with the same setup as hoops'. (Actual basketball stuff: the bracket, the prediction, and the stuff that happened on Selection Sunday.)
Jim Harbaugh Is Weird. And as we find over time, his weirdness is not confined to our current time and space. He's always been this fascinating, whether we realized it at the time or not. His Saved by the Bell cameo is now so appreciated, one Michigan fan got a tattoo of it. He's been a Judge Judy fan since before people started cataloguing his eccentricities.
Well, here he's the then-Colts QB in a 1996 commercial for the computer game Descent II, flashing Michigan-blue eyes (it was a sign all along, without question) and referencing his Catholic faith, I suppose ("I'm not throwing Hail Marys; I'm sayin' 'em"). Via Reddit
Here's the exact case Cincinnati is making for inclusion in the Big 12, including a reference to that time Tommy Tuberville went unbeaten in the SEC and excluding a mention of how close the Chipotle is, perhaps since it isn't especially close.
Bill C team of the day: Georgia Southern, whose October might define the Sun Belt.
Ezekiel Elliott made a one-handed catch while on the phone and despite some suffocating* defense by Urban Meyer.
* More like "deferential."
CROOTIN'. The two biggest commits of the weekend: Oklahoma reached eight-for-eight on four-star 2017 commits, and Dalvin Cook's little brother, the one who believes he's the best in his family, committed to FSU.
No, this Texas Tech receiver is not 4.1 fast, but please let these scouts' stopwatches dream.
"I won't ask for forgiveness; however, I'll show the true man I am." Dak Prescott apologizes for a weekend DUI arrest weeks before the NFL Draft.
Our Ole Miss blog made an SEC tournament of football teams and simmed it. Wouldn't ya know it, Ole Miss won, which meant so many mad Bama fans on Twitter and elsewhere.
One NFL scout would take Ohio State's 2015 defense over his current professional defense. We don't know the NFL team, so all we are able to do is ask, "WHO DAT?"
Idaho's Paul Petrino won't jump ship to join brother Bobby at Louisville, and the reason might be another family tie. Bobby's reportedly grabbing from West Virginia to replace the OC he lost to Illinois.
Perhaps you'd like to watch Robert Nkemdiche hoist a human into the air like he's Razor Ramon.
The entire Harbaugh family dropped some pretty good quotes about Michigan's creative road trips.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member

Just mail'em the trophy? I don't think so.,,

"I was on the phone with (a scout) just the other day ... he said, 'I would trade our NFL defense right now for the Ohio State defense in a heartbeat. I'd do it right now,'" [Daniel] Jeremiah said Friday during NFL Network's coverage of Ohio State's pro day. "When you hear that you (think), 'C'mon,' but you start going through the three levels of the defense, and even some younger guys that aren't eligible in this draft class. Oh my gosh, this is a loaded football team."

Scout says Ohio State has better D than NFL teams

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.