Link: Colt McCoy discusses getting hurt in Alabama NC game

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I expected to have several smart remarks from reading the article. I didn't. I enjoyed the article. I didn't read everything, but I didn't see a single excuse in what I did read. He just laid out what happened and how it affected him.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I never knew how much damage that hit did on him. No excuses by him. I'm sure it took an emotional toll to not be on the field.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I never really had a problem with anything HE has said, including that he thought they would have won. That is what a competitor does. As for the constant fan certainty that I KEEP GETTING AD NAUSEUM TO THIS DAY. It drives me bananas. No one has any way of knowing. We do know what DID happen.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I never really had a problem with anything HE has said, including that he thought they would have won. That is what a competitor does. As for the constant fan certainty that I KEEP GETTING AD NAUSEUM TO THIS DAY. It drives me bananas. No one has any way of knowing. We do know what DID happen.
Exactly. When me and my old high school buddies get together and we talk about the good old days and the football games we lost we do the "if this did not happen.......... we would have won the game". That's just part of being a participant and human nature. Your point about the UT fanbase is dead-on.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Exactly. When me and my old high school buddies get together and we talk about the good old days and the football games we lost we do the "if this did not happen.......... we would have won the game". That's just part of being a participant and human nature. Your point about the UT fanbase is dead-on.
Uncle Rico, is that you? :)

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
If you listened to most people, we didn’t have a shot against this team. They thought we didn’t even belong on the same field as Bama.
Then we marched down the field on that defense that everyone thought would chew us up
I've not heard them play the "underdog" card before. I certainly don't recall Bama being an overwhelming favorite in the game. Were we even favored at all? Anybody recall?

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have no problem with anything he said. I think he overstated their play before his injury (it was off of what amounted to two turnovers on our side of the field) but acknowledge that might be crimson glasses.

Otherwise, he stated facts and didn't make excuses. And no, I had no idea the extent of the nerve damage. Hope he has success in Washington.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have no problem with anything he said. I think he overstated their play before his injury (it was off of what amounted to two turnovers on our side of the field) but acknowledge that might be crimson glasses.

Otherwise, he stated facts and didn't make excuses. And no, I had no idea the extent of the nerve damage. Hope he has success in Washington.
100% agree. He said they easily moved down the field after the fake punt interception. Didn't they start that drive on Alabama's 40 yard line or so? It's not like they moved the whole length of the field. It was funny to hear Colt state they were basically just moving down the field at will until they got to the 1 yard line and had to settle for a field goal..

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I've not heard them play the "underdog" card before. I certainly don't recall Bama being an overwhelming favorite in the game. Were we even favored at all? Anybody recall?
We were favored by 3 or 4. Hence the "Alabama has been favored in every game back to the 2009 SEC Championship" up until the Georgia game this past year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We were favored by 3 or 4. Hence the "Alabama has been favored in every game back to the 2009 SEC Championship" up until the Georgia game this past year.
I remember Alabama being favored, and most media outlets talking about the great defense vs. the juggernaut offense. I don't remember Alabama being considered a huge favorite in the game though. The conversation was nothing like the Notre Dame game in which almost no one picked the golden domers.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Everything I've heard about him is that he's a great guy! There's life beyond football and he apparently has found it.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
There's something about it I still don't like. I guess the feeling I'm getting when I read it should be expected when a Bama fan reads a first-person article written by a former Texas player and posted on a Texas site. I think I'll just get over it.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've never had a problem with Colt, I've always respected him as a player & more so after reading this article, it's the "If Colt Hadn't Got Hurt" excuse Mack has used in interviews & from their fanbase that chaps my backside..I got news for them..Bama would've still won that game had Colt not got hurt..

Colt had nothing to do with their D not being able to stop our running game or passing game as far as that goes..It would've been a closer game most likely with Colt playing the whole game, but, our Player's wasn't going to be stopped that night & The Longhorn's was going to be beat no matter who they played..If anything..When Colt went out & their backup came in kinda caught our D off-guard, cause that boy was more of a pure dropback type QB that could sling the tater on down the field with pretty dang good accuracy..That's not what we were prepared for & he was capitalizing on the moment 'til our D made the adjustments to stop them..

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
If Colt hadn't gotten hurt, he'd know that we'd have won that game if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Sincerely,
Mack Brown

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.