Link: Colt McCoy discusses getting hurt in Alabama NC game

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have no problem with Colt or any Texas player, they wanted to win and justifiably were disappointed. I had great respect for Brown until I met him personally and he told me the same "if Colt hadn't got hurt" crap. He is a sour, old loser and I am glad Texas ran him off.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
He is from a town named Tuscola, and Fran Phony recruited him. I dont think the stars were aligned right the night he played Bama. Maybe UAB will hire Mac since Watson did so well there. At least get him off tv so we dont have to listen to his voice. I dont think he is made for TV some coaches are and he needs to retire and spend some of that money.

bat123

All-American
I've never had a problem with Colt, I've always respected him as a player & more so after reading this article, it's the "If Colt Hadn't Got Hurt" excuse Mack has used in interviews & from their fanbase that chaps my backside..I got news for them..Bama would've still won that game had Colt not got hurt..

Colt had nothing to do with their D not being able to stop our running game or passing game as far as that goes..It would've been a closer game most likely with Colt playing the whole game, but, our Player's wasn't going to be stopped that night & The Longhorn's was going to be beat no matter who they played..If anything..When Colt went out & their backup came in kinda caught our D off-guard, cause that boy was more of a pure dropback type QB that could sling the tater on down the field with pretty dang good accuracy..That's not what we were prepared for & he was capitalizing on the moment 'til our D made the adjustments to stop them..
This has been my contention all along, I think we'd have beaten them worse if Colt had stayed in because that's who our D had practiced for. I did enjoy the read, it sounded like he's come to grips with it and has moved on....... I just wish he'd talk to his old coach.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I expected to have several smart remarks from reading the article. I didn't. I enjoyed the article. I didn't read everything, but I didn't see a single excuse in what I did read. He just laid out what happened and how it affected him.
I was a harsh critic of Colt. Given that he didn't try to excuse it away, and admitted things we have experienced, and what he tried to do for the various pro teams... I'm inclined to cut him a little slack. However... I still saw the hit by Dareus as him bulldozing Colt. Great hard hit. I might have cut Colt more slack if he could admit that he took a hit unlike any he had ever received...

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I might have cut Colt more slack if he could admit that he took a hit unlike any he had ever received...
But I'm not sure it was that massive of a hit. QBs like McCoy get hit *hard* all the time. I see it more like the wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt - looked routine, but highlighted the dangers involved.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Really nice read. I don't think for a second Texas would have won the game "if Colt hadn't gotten hurt." OTOH, everything had gone the Horns way until that play. The fans have a good reason to think they would have won the game.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looks pretty routine to me too.
Agreed. Looked routine. On a scale of 1 being barely tripped by a toe, to 10 being Bennett on Buerlein, I'd say it was a 5 or 6. Certainly no love tap, but nothing unusual at all.

CA's analogy to the fatal Earnhardt wreck is a good one.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Looks pretty routine to me too.
Looks like 50 other hits in a typical game to me. I don't see anything "bulldozing" about it. It seems to me that it was a solid hit to exactly the right spot at exactly the right angle to cause some real damage.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's the price of having a running quarterback. I hated it for him. I actually wished he wouldn't have gotten hurt. But when a team decides to run that style offense it's a known risk going into it. But I'm surprised more running college quarterbacks aren't hurt more than they are in today's game. Especially seeing how bigger, faster, stronger players are progressively getting even on the college level.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I remember Alabama being favored, and most media outlets talking about the great defense vs. the juggernaut offense. I don't remember Alabama being considered a huge favorite in the game though. The conversation was nothing like the Notre Dame game in which almost no one picked the golden domers.
The only two I saw that picked Notre Dame were Lee Corso and Manti Te'os girlfriend.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I was a harsh critic of Colt. Given that he didn't try to excuse it away, and admitted things we have experienced, and what he tried to do for the various pro teams... I'm inclined to cut him a little slack. However... I still saw the hit by Dareus as him bulldozing Colt. Great hard hit. I might have cut Colt more slack if he could admit that he took a hit unlike any he had ever received...
He said it in the article, he wanted to pitch the ball, but Alabama took it away. I bet CNS planned to hit Colt all night, if they kept running the speed option. It may have been a big hit or a fluke hit, but like like many Alabama opponents, he was unable to take the beating for 4 quarters. It just came earlier than expected.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
But I'm not sure it was that massive of a hit. QBs like McCoy get hit *hard* all the time. I see it more like the wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt - looked routine, but highlighted the dangers involved.
Exactly, we all have a funny bone as an analogy, I certainly believe an innocent hit at a bad spot, especially from a Marcell Dareus, could make you go numb for weeks. I take the guy at his word......he got hit on a sweet spot.So much more enjoyable to believe people that have demonstrated good character than not. You will be a happier person, that's for sure.

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
He said it in the article, he wanted to pitch the ball, but Alabama took it away. I bet CNS planned to hit Colt all night, if they kept running the speed option. It may have been a big hit or a fluke hit, but like like many Alabama opponents, he was unable to take the beating for 4 quarters. It just came earlier than expected.
I think you're on to something here - the fact that McCoy GOT hit was no fluke. Bama was going to take away the pitch man and hit the QB any time Texas ran a QB option. "MHAQ" and all ;)

It was unfortunate that McCoy got hurt, but if you play with fire (IE: run the option with a QB who is basically your entire offense) don't be surprised when you get burned...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.