Game Thread: NIT Round 1: Alabama @ Creighton (8:00 CT)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Did anyone hear the comment near the end of the game about Obasohan being a possible draft pick? I barely heard but think one of the announcers said someone (an expert I guess) mentioned the possibility for the 2nd round.

ETA: Bama shot 80% free throws!

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Too bad the season ended with such a resounding thud. On a brighter note, there were some good days and decent basketball played this year - a harbinger of better days to come. CAJ can now shift his efforts to recruiting some better players, and hopefully a shooter or two, and build upon the momentum this season generated in UA hoops.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Tough game to watch. Creighton was the better team but our guys played very poorly 1st half. I enjoyed the season and look forward to next year but we gotta get some guys who can play inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This was a transition season...new head coach....new system....next year will be considerably improved.

Although losing tonight's game was very disappointing....there's a lot to be excited for.

Looking forward to base and soft ball seasons....and soccer too!

Plus gymnastics championships are this w/e, if I'm not mistaken.

Great season all things considered...welcome & thank you, Coach Avery Johnson.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Terrible!

Good season, really proud of coach, the players, and fans. Looking forward to next year and beyond. CAJ was up against alot and pretty much handled what was thrown at him. We should be in good shape moving forward. Roll Tide

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Worst game of the year, bar none - and 'Bama barred themselves from being competitive with all the team's shortcomings on vivid "display." Creighton until they went in the tank late was a Final Four-caliber team, but this wasn't a case of a Kentucky crushing on cruise control but a reality check of a team's own undoing. Upshot as I see it is if there are any off-season transfers "suggested" by Avery, the talent level will take them to Jeff State or Alverson Draughan College of Cosmetology. Better 'Bama basketball future dead ahead, but shooters needed.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Worst game of the year, bar none - and 'Bama barred themselves from being competitive with all the team's shortcomings on vivid "display." Creighton until they went in the tank late was a Final Four-caliber team, but this wasn't a case of a Kentucky crushing on cruise control but a reality check of a team's own undoing. Upshot as I see it is if there are any off-season transfers "suggested" by Avery, the talent level will take them to Jeff State or Alverson Draughan College of Cosmetology. Better 'Bama basketball future dead ahead, but shooters needed.
Some of the early games were probably worse, but it was a bad ending for sure. Let's not be overly dramatic in talking down the team and the talent. I am thankful for the progress this team made and the effort that they gave.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Glad the season is over. It was a much better season than I had anticipated. Season 2 for CAV will be much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This was a very flawed team from the start. There are some good "role" players but no inside presence except for a freshman still getting his feet wet. You can hide those flaws if you get just average play from the inside, but we almost never got average play from them. If there are some off season transfers we might actually be better. I won't speculate on who, but it is clear we need help at the forward and depth at center position.

We do get Nick King who I have been told is one of the best scorers on the team and AJ Jr who if nothing else give us depth at PG. I was impressed with Coleman down the stretch. He still will never be 6 foot, but he helps us get into our sets which we struggled with when Retin went into his late season swoon. We also have 2 pretty good players signed who are coming in, Armond Davis who will replace Edwards, and Braxton key who looks like a swing man. With Ingram back as well, we'll be much better at the PG and shooting guard positions. I am guessing we may sign a JUCO big as well depending on how we do with the kids we are recruiting. All in all, we'll be better all around next year with upgraded talent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm positive despite how this season ended. 18 wins was an overachievement. Retin Obasohan's development shows that CAJ can turn guards into stars within this system. We get a ton of guys back and while we lose the top scorer...we're effectively picking up 2 guys at that position with Ingram being out most of this year and AJ Jr being eligible. Front court will be deep but King or Hale need to establish themselves as scorers.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
To add a degree of insult to injury, Wagner (8) beat St. Bonaventure (1) - which, as I understand it, would have given us a home game in round 2.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Watched a tad of Creighton whip up on Wagner and now I see the final score wasn't even close, 87 - 54! They play BYU on the 22nd! Florida just beat OH St. and seems to be hanging NIT tough. Maybe it will turn out we got the worst draw playing Creighton!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.