Interesting breakdown of OJ Howard's first TD in the CFPCG

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The difference I see in a busted coverage vs. a "we got you on that one" kind of play is this:

busted coverage is when someone plays man instead of zone (or vice versa). It's when the DB guesses inside and breaks that way when the receiver runs a simple out pattern. It's when two DBs both go to the underneath receiver and neither covers the one over the top (but still a two-on-two situation). It's when a fairly straightforward play goes big because of one defensive player's mistake.

The "we got you" play (which I believe the OJ Howard TD play in question was) is when the offense schemes a play specifically to put pressure on a particular player, kind of predicting what that player *might* do, baits him into doing what the offense *wants* him to do, and then exploits his decision to the offense's advantage.

From the defense's standpoint I suppose this is still technically a bust, but the reason behind the bust is different. It's not accidental. It's intentionally schemed by the offense to create the bust.

That's the difference. I think Bama knew when they came to the LOS that they had just what they wanted. Coker had to set up the alignment correctly and read one guy. The play was either going to be a nice gain or a likely TD... and their one key on defense took the bait and Bama took advantage.
I agree - plays like this demonstrate why it is so important that players know their job on every play, and trust their teammates to do their jobs. There is only additional pressure on that player if he is also expected to help in run support. With 2 receivers on his side of the field and the safety all the way on the other side of the field, he is not expected to help with run support. He has one job. If you know your job and trust your teammates, you can't be "schemed" into this kind of mistake. As Saban has said countless times, "Do YOUR job!".

But this is where Alabama's superiority in talent becomes a problem. Henry busting that long TD early in the game caused the Clemson defenders to focus on him - even defenders who were supposed to be focused elsewhere. The play action is a waste unless the defense fears your running game. Henry helped your offense on every play - even when he didn't get the ball. Clemson's defense was well designed, and they had a lot of very talented players on that side of the ball. But Alabama put too much pressure on them, and they became undisciplined. They started "cheating" to help one another out. Kiffin noticed this and took advantage.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
....... Henry busting that long TD early in the game caused the Clemson defenders to focus on him - even defenders who were supposed to be focused elsewhere. The play action is a waste unless the defense fears your running game. Henry helped your offense on every play - even when he didn't get the ball. Clemson's defense was well designed, and they had a lot of very talented players on that side of the ball. But Alabama put too much pressure on them, and they became undisciplined. They started "cheating" to help one another out. Kiffin noticed this and took advantage.
A great point about loosening up a defense. I will be sitting with a group watching the game, and they are screaming because we are passing the ball sometimes after having a few good runs. I try to explain about keeping the defense honest and to just wait, and that 6 yard run will turn into a 60. You are exactly right that Henry's presence was key to that play. Due to losing a recruiting class of RB's other than Henry, and some injuries, there was no other healthy running back that gained the attention of a defense like Henry. We have had two of near talent the past several years. We are fortunate that Henry was so durable or I doubt we would have won the NC this year after losing Tenpenney, Kamara and Jones. We had a gap and injuries. If we had had Freshman Harris in the backfied? The Pony probably would not have bitten, or at least not as busted. Not on him, he's a true freshman vs Henry. And a healthy Bo was unknown, so same lack of effect of presence.

tidegrandpa

All-American
A great point about loosening up a defense. I will be sitting with a group watching the game, and they are screaming because we are passing the ball sometimes after having a few good runs. I try to explain about keeping the defense honest and to just wait, and that 6 yard run will turn into a 60. You are exactly right that Henry's presence was key to that play. Due to losing a recruiting class of RB's other than Henry, and some injuries, there was no other healthy running back that gained the attention of a defense like Henry. We have had two of near talent the past several years. We are fortunate that Henry was so durable or I doubt we would have won the NC this year after losing Tenpenney, Kamara and Jones. We had a gap and injuries. If we had had Freshman Harris in the backfied? The Pony probably would not have bitten, or at least not as busted. Not on him, he's a true freshman vs Henry. And a healthy Bo was unknown, so same lack of effect of presence.
Can't watch Bama game with others. Had a big company get together the night of NC game in big hotel meeting room in Greenville, SC. We were there all week. They had booze, snacks and 4-5 big screens on walls. I shook hands with the folks, went up to my room and ordered room service. These fans that second guess what we do if we don't score on every drive I just can't listen to while trying to watch a game. And no need in trying to explain strategy. They ain't listening.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can't watch Bama game with others. Had a big company get together the night of NC game in big hotel meeting room in Greenville, SC. We were there all week. They had booze, snacks and 4-5 big screens on walls. I shook hands with the folks, went up to my room and ordered room service. These fans that second guess what we do if we don't score on every drive I just can't listen to while trying to watch a game. And no need in trying to explain strategy. They ain't listening.
Off topic, but Greenville, SC is an absolutely beautiful city.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I agree - plays like this demonstrate why it is so important that players know their job on every play, and trust their teammates to do their jobs. There is only additional pressure on that player if he is also expected to help in run support. With 2 receivers on his side of the field and the safety all the way on the other side of the field, he is not expected to help with run support. He has one job. If you know your job and trust your teammates, you can't be "schemed" into this kind of mistake. As Saban has said countless times, "Do YOUR job!".

But this is where Alabama's superiority in talent becomes a problem. Henry busting that long TD early in the game caused the Clemson defenders to focus on him - even defenders who were supposed to be focused elsewhere. The play action is a waste unless the defense fears your running game. Henry helped your offense on every play - even when he didn't get the ball. Clemson's defense was well designed, and they had a lot of very talented players on that side of the ball. But Alabama put too much pressure on them, and they became undisciplined. They started "cheating" to help one another out. Kiffin noticed this and took advantage.
but that's where it gets interesting; was that deep S supposed to be all the way over to that side like he was, or was he supposed to be more toward the middle of the field and Kiffen had just picked up on it. If the latter, the the pony S didn't "miss". It also could have been cover three for all we know where each CB is supposed to drop to deep thirds so it was really his miss in that he read WR screen when OJ ducked at him like he was blocking.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
but that's where it gets interesting; was that deep S supposed to be all the way over to that side like he was, or was he supposed to be more toward the middle of the field and Kiffen had just picked up on it. If the latter, the the pony S didn't "miss". It also could have been cover three for all we know where each CB is supposed to drop to deep thirds so it was really his miss in that he read WR screen when OJ ducked at him like he was blocking.
I agree - we don't know what we don't know.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True, and as B1G pointed out, he'd had #2 run by him once. That will make one a bit gun shy...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.