Interesting breakdown of OJ Howard's first TD in the CFPCG

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Click Here

Good stuff. Clemson did takeaway Ridley that night but they got themselves into dicy situations on the backend if any of our other receivers stepped up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love seeing these breakdowns that show the coaches playing the long game - using a few plays all season long knowing they will set up new plays later.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
His breakdown of the onside kick was good as well.

The championship game really showcased how important planning, coaching, and execution are in the sport. Because of videos like this, we can all get a glimpse into the world football coaches live in. It's a shame CLK has had to plan for and coach so many QBs over the past two seasons. Look at our last two starting QBs (Sims and Coker) and how they evolved over the season, allowing the coaches to take more chances and put more decisions in the QB's hands. Having a mature QB allows you to plan, coach, and execute plays like this one to Howard. We fans grumble all the time about plays that just don't make sense and seem like "throw away" plays. In fact, a lot of these kinds of plays are there more to read defenses and learn tendencies in order to exploit them later on. It's the human aspect of the game that makes it enjoyable on an entirely different level.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What I don't understand is their hotshot corner's continuing insistence that he could have prevented the two TDs. I don't even think he would have been in either play...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This points out the importance of running certain plays early in the game which will show defensive tendencies that may or may not be different from the opponents past games. We complain about some of the early play calling when the plays aren't successful; they often lead to good things later in the game with good coaches.

Also, it shows that Coker had to be paying attention and make the correct adjustments. Good for him.

Not just Ridley but Henry also played a big role in drawing attention from defenders to make these types of plays successful.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What I don't understand is their hotshot corner's continuing insistence that he could have prevented the two TDs. I don't even think he would have been in either play...
Kyle said Alexander when referencing the CB on the field, but he was already out of the game at that point. More likely than not, he would have been the CB covering Calvin. He reportedly ran between a 4.41 and 4.48 at Clemson's pro day, so he possibly runs down OJ on the play. But it's highly unlikely...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He reportedly ran between a 4.41 and 4.48 at Clemson's pro day, so he possibly runs down OJ on the play. But it's highly unlikely...
No way - he would have bit on the quick pass, too. By the time the CB reacted, OJ was already 14 yards downfield at the Clemson 35...

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This points out the importance of running certain plays early in the game which will show defensive tendencies that may or may not be different from the opponents past games. We complain about some of the early play calling when the plays aren't successful; they often lead to good things later in the game with good coaches.

Also, it shows that Coker had to be paying attention and make the correct adjustments. Good for him.

Not just Ridley but Henry also played a big role in drawing attention from defenders to make these types of plays successful.
I noticed that as well. Henry does an outstanding job of selling the fake run to force the linebackers to commit forward, without that crucial aspect it probably doesn't work. Great execution by everyone involved.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, we kicked off, recovered, and then the ref pointed the "first down" motion the way we were kicking from. Maybe they were showing a reverse angle. Or maybe I am losing my mind.
Just watched the replay. The official was facing the Clemson sideline when he made the call and pointed the direction Alabama was heading. ESPN's camera angle on kickoffs were bad all game.

No way - he would have bit on the quick pass, too. By the time the CB reacted, OJ was already 14 yards downfield at the Clemson 35...
Like I said, highly unlikely.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He would've been smarter than any defender on the field if he would've sniffed out fake screen and go in that spot. That alignment with the receivers - very wide but tight combination - has been a common look to set up screen opportunities within Bama's offense. Everything about the initial action of the play indicated quick screen.

The biggest issue by any Clemson player was their nickel safety really slowly grasping the play action read. He was the key to the play. The fact the outside corner bit on the now screen is understandable but the safety took himself out of the play with a slow read of the play fake. Does Alexander fix that? Nope.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It was a very good play call but also a bust by Clemson. The nickel safety first two steps, regardless of if he is supposed to help in run support, should not be forward, especially when he doesn't have any help over the top. The only deep safety was lined up on the opposite side of the field to keep Ridley in check. Like I said, good play call and design but that nickel corner should have never taken a step forward. Glad he did though :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
After the game the Bama detractors (mostly LSU fans in my area) kept saying "If it weren't for those busted coverages on defense..." etc. I told them they weren't "busted coverages" but rather our offensive staff manipulating and scheming Clemson into what they wanted. This breakdown proves I was right. No way a team the quality of Clemson has that many "busted coverages" in one game. Not this type of game anyway. Happens once, I would say yeah, happens twice I could possibly still say yeah, but three times? Naw, that ain't busted coverages hoss. That's getting out coached. Roll Tide

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I suppose this highlights why most teams script 20 or so plays...

1. To take advantage of mismatches
2. To see what the defense does on a certain look to come back later with a twist on that play (like the video beautifully described).

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I've never understood those morons using "Broken Coverages" as an excuse for losing the game. Uh, Yah - broken coverages resulted in touchdowns. That means that your players were less disciplined than or players and we won. That's football. It's not like a freak tipped pass bounced off a helmet. It's not even like a kick-six. It's like saying..."Well if your running back hadn't plowed through 3 LBS, 2 CB's and a safety we might have won. That means your team was worse than our team. They couldn't even pay attention to see a 6-6ft 242lbs guy dashing across the field. You deserved to lose if those are your excuses.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There are broken coverages then there are "broken coverages."

Sometimes a player busts on his technique or key and it is aberration. It happens, it sucks especially if you know that was a one-off bust. But that's football.

Sometimes - as with both OJ Howard TDs - it is due to a bad formation+call decision by the staff which put their defenders in a no win scenario. In this video, you see that Clemson effectively had 3 v. 2 to the offensive left side (to bottle up Ridley) but had 2 v. 3 (Stewart, Howard, Henry in the backfield) to the offensive right side. The run fake ate up one guy, the screen fake ate up the other guy...wide open TD. Clemson was trying to have their cake and eat it too with that call. They wanted to take away the pass and the run assuming that amounted to Ridley & Henry, didn't expect the typically "blocking" receiver to be a factor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.