Link: The Expected Roller Coaster of CAJ's First Year Comes to an End

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Entering this season, I did not expect much. There were too many questions.

Can Avery Johnson work in college?

How will Alabama replace Levi Randolph?

Is there any depth?

Is there any real talent?

Many saw this season as the prime example of a transition year. The season was projected by some to be a "roller coaster" because the team would have its ups and downs.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
^^^
Okay . . can't really disagree with the observation about W-L results.

When Ingram went down, it became too easy to cheat to RO for defenses. He simply had to do too much of the scoring. Lack of outside scoring is a bad combination with a largely punchless frontcourt.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Cant wait to see Ingram running Point next year. What's that transfers name that sat out this year? Besides AJ Jr

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
^^^
Okay . . can't really disagree with the observation about W-L results.

When Ingram went down, it became too easy to cheat to RO for defenses. He simply had to do too much of the scoring. Lack of outside scoring is a bad combination with a largely punchless frontcourt.
This. Teams began to figure out that all you have to do is make RO the priority and it effectively shut down the offense. Once we get in some more young guns, I believe you will see more of what we saw in the middle of the season with the win streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
This jumped out:

With all of the bad listed above, somehow Avery Johnson was able to coach the team to the most wins over a ranked opponent in one season in the last 16 years. Mark Gottfried beat three ranked opponents in 2002, 2003, and 2006, but he never beat four.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
this isn't what we thought would happen.... this year's version was no better than the last. i like Avery but we stunk down the stretch
Only three stats (blocks, double digit scorers, and wins over ranked opponents) from this year were better than Grant's worse year 2014. Yet this team won 14% more of its games (13 wins compared to 18 this year).

As Dayhiker said, Grant would have done much less with this team.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
this isn't what we thought would happen.... this year's version was no better than the last. i like Avery but we stunk down the stretch
I can't disagree that this isn't what we thought would happen. But I agree with your premise for the opposite reasons. We definitely faded down the stretch, and it was painful because we were doing so well. However, if you had said before the season that we'd finish with 18 wins and make it to the NIT, I would have said something along the lines of "I WISH!!!"

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'll very much agree this season was definitely the expected roller coaster. But I'll take this ride with a lot more confidence into next season as opposed to the cars being stuck in a valley on the tracks without momentum and/or motivation like it was with Grant.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I am going to chalk this season up as a success under a 1st year collegiate coach without a whole lot of talent.

I do wonder about the team's chemistry coming down the stretch. CAJ told us all they had a fight this past Monday at practice and he liked it but it makes me think there may have been a cancer or two and when it started going bad it really came out. Anyway, this is pure speculation and a thought that just came to mind as to why we played poorly our last 8 games and got blown out our last 2 games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I am going to chalk this season up as a success under a 1st year collegiate coach without a whole lot of talent.

I do wonder about the team's chemistry coming down the stretch. CAJ told us all they had a fight this past Monday at practice and he liked it but it makes me think there may have been a cancer or two and when it started going bad it really came out. Anyway, this is pure speculation and a thought that just came to mind as to why we played poorly our last 8 games and got blown out our last 2 games.
Losing is no fun. Team really didn't play well the last month of the season. Practice isn't fun, anyway, so it happens.

Team over-acheived in playing some good teams tough. Team under-acheived against some teams they could have beat and during the last month of the season.

Next year will be better, but it'll take a few recruiting cycles and some better shooters and some nasty bigs to get this team to the next level.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Anyone who thinks this team didn't overachieve needs to go back to the football board. Yes we played poorly down the stretch, and yes the free throws were abysmal, but we also won a bunch of close games we'd have lost if Grant were still coaching this team. How many times at the end of close games did we not even manage to get a shot off? I am not sure we get to double digit wins if Grant is still here.

The fact is Coach Johnson is still learning the college game and what he can and can't ask of college kids. He will improve as will the team. I suspect his practices were a little too hard during the year and that was reflected in tired legs which caused the poor free throw shooting. Once he gets a full roster of his players, we'll be competing at the highest possible level.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Anyone who thinks this team didn't overachieve needs to go back to the football board. Yes we played poorly down the stretch, and yes the free throws were abysmal, but we also won a bunch of close games we'd have lost if Grant were still coaching this team. How many times at the end of close games did we not even manage to get a shot off? I am not sure we get to double digit wins if Grant is still here.

The fact is Coach Johnson is still learning the college game and what he can and can't ask of college kids. He will improve as will the team. I suspect his practices were a little too hard during the year and that was reflected in tired legs which caused the poor free throw shooting. Once he gets a full roster of his players, we'll be competing at the highest possible level.
I imagine CAJ will analyze that and he'll probably decide in some ways he can be "harder" with the collge kids and in some ways he'll probably decide to be "easier" on some other things.

I think he'll "improve" as much or more than the team in year two.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Talking to my brother yesterday I realized the last month of the season was pretty much what many expected in October when discussing the season. Beating Wichita, ND, and Clemson as well as going on the five game winning streak gave so many fans the impression the team was better and forget what we expected the season to be. In reality, this team played above its head in those games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.