Link: The Expected Roller Coaster of CAJ's First Year Comes to an End

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm encouraged by what I saw - for the most part. The offense looked much better than what we got with Grant and even Gottfried near the end. I anticipated we'd be dead last in the SEC given the absolute lack of inside scoring, AND then we lose our PG. It wasn't perfect, but there were significant stretches where Bama basketball was fun to watch - how long has it been since we could say that ?

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
As far as free throws go - I'm of the opinion that we've been abysmal at free throws for a while. CAG didn't do a good job with fundamentals in this area. On top of that, and in no way is any offense to any of the players on this team, he either didn't recruit good talent or didn't do a really good job of developing it during his tenure at BAMA (more likely a combination of the two). In my mind, CAJ did one heck of a job this season and got more out of this team than anyone would have honestly thought he could have. He is doing some really good recruiting and I really think he's going to get our program back to being consistently competitive. You watch him on the bench and he's always coaching and not just standing there like a statue. Judging by this past season I think we're at least in much better hands than we were before.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
It was a fun year. I went to more basketball games this year than I have in any year since college, which for me was many moons ago. Since I live 4.5 hours from Tuscaloosa, I had to have an excitement for what is happening now and will be happening in future for me to do that.

Was it disappointing to run out of gas in late February/early March? Sure, but it was sure nice to be able to be disappointed.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
this isn't what we thought would happen.... this year's version was no better than the last. i like Avery but we stunk down the stretch
I'm not sure what on earth people were expecting then. 18 wins and a NIT bid, did people really expect 20 and the NCAA tournament with that talent and a first year coach? If so they were delusional to have those expectations. Heck, Nick Saban won 7 games his first season at Alabama, and even though that was Nick Saban and Alabama football, people still took it in stride. I would expect similarly guarded expectations given the lack of overall talent Alabama's basketball team had last year.

The fact is everything that went on could be explained logically. Alabama did better than expected for two stretches in the season, both of which ended due to something that changed. The first instance, Alabama lost a key player for the year. In the second, teams managed to adjust to what Alabama is doing. The amazing part isn't that Alabama has some rough stretches, the amazing part is that Alabama managed to do some things they haven't been able to do in a very long time.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Saw somebody else tweet that Alabama ended up facing three teams that made the sweet 16 - Notre Dame, Oregon and aTm. Alabama went 2-1 vs those 3 teams and played a very competitive game vs Oregon..

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Couldn't have been a more opportune season for Avery to get his kicks wet as a college coach. The SEC was borderline horrendous (SOS to Tranghese was justified) and the post-season has pretty well documented that fact. I'm thinking next year will prove Avery's learning curve to have been a slam dunk parabola...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In Mike Shula's last season, we went 6-7, losing the bowl game to Oklahoma State with an interim HC (Joe Kines).

In Nick Saban's first season, we went an almost identical 7-6, with the main difference being a win in the same bowl game against Colorado.

I'm just sayin...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.