Cancel Spring Game: the new fad

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They have 15 practices. I assume A-Day is counted as one practice. So, Rich Rod is telling us that 14 practices is not enough, he needs that 15th practice?:conf2::eek:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They have 15 practices. I assume A-Day is counted as one practice. So, Rich Rod is telling us that 14 practices is not enough, he needs that 15th practice?:conf2::eek:
Yep - it counts as a practice, as do the other scrimmages. I read that he eliminated all spring scrimmages in lieu of additional practice (schools have as many as 3 scrimmages in the spring). I am not sure if this "fan day" counted as a practice or not.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
LOL

Maybe the kid was trying not to hurt him, but that would be embarrassing.
It's a no-win situation for the player. He just kinda stands there and lets the guy push him around a little bit, trying not to hurt him, or get hurt, and this is what we have.

If he pancakes the guy, all but the true football fans (and we are outnumbered, especially the PAC 12) think it "he should've taken it easy on the guy, it was just for fun."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's a no-win situation for the player. He just kinda stands there and lets the guy push him around a little bit, trying not to hurt him, or get hurt, and this is what we have.

If he pancakes the guy, all but the true football fans (and we are outnumbered, especially the PAC 12) think it "he should've taken it easy on the guy, it was just for fun."
Or worse, the guy gets hurt and the school gets sued.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
TUCSON, Ariz. - By and large, college football coaches hate spring games.

"You start thinking about it, and if you can get 40 or 50,000 in attendance then maybe it’s worthwhile in recruiting, maybe," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said.

The hardcore fan wants to believe an exhibition scrimmage six months before the season affects crucial position battles or accurately previews a new offensive or defensive system.

"Whatever you’re teaching scheme-wise, you’ve got six or seven months before players use it," Rodriguez said. "The 20, 30 spring games I’ve ever been a part of, all you do is worry about getting your starters hurt and not showing anything new to your future opponents.

"So hey, I can solve that problem. Let’s not have one."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/3/17/11256100/rich-rodriguez-arizona-football-spring

I just don't buy into the Spring game is a big waste of time. Maybe those coaches are not coaching the Spring game correctly. Rich Rod said scheme-wise you are not going to use it for six months. Why even practice then, you are not going play for six months and players get hurt during practice, you know.
He's right. IF ... you rely on scheme and your star player(s) not getting hurt and not on the *men* you train ...

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I agree that the spring game is not the best use of our team's time. Think about this - the NCAA limits how many days and how many hours that coaches get to spend working with the players to help them get better, and to put in good plays. The spring game is a very vanilla performance, due to not wanting to show the general public what you've been working on behind closed doors. I'd much rather our team get another quality practice in private, working on things that we don't need to see. Just my 2 cents, and they're a selfish 2 cents because i want Alabama to be as great as they can be. Something that doesn't get helped by having a vanilla public scrimmage. The only thing i will say that could be helped by a spring game, is to see how young players perform in front of a big crowd. Other than that, I don't see the point.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
So far we have focused on the negatives of Spring games. Is there any positives? I seem to remember a player or two having their "breakout" game in A-Day.
Mark Ingram, I believe, broke out in A day as a freshman. That continued into the season in 08.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I had no idea that was a fan bull rushing that guy. That just looks like a bad idea on all parts involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of y'all need to realize college football is viewed differently in other states. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if A-Day was cancelled, but it isn't 'for' me in that sense, either - it would freak a lot of our people out.

I pay no attention to it whatsoever. I don't even watch it on ESPN.

But again that's me and others view it differently. If a coach views it that way as RRod does, they probably ought to do away with it. I mean, it's not like Arizona is going to be celebrating any national championships any time soon.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some of y'all need to realize college football is viewed differently in other states. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if A-Day was cancelled, but it isn't 'for' me in that sense, either - it would freak a lot of our people out.

I pay no attention to it whatsoever. I don't even watch it on ESPN.

But again that's me and others view it differently. If a coach views it that way as RRod does, they probably ought to do away with it. I mean, it's not like Arizona is going to be celebrating any national championships any time soon.

I have never been to an Alabama spring game, but the one at OSU is not so much a game as an event for the fans. The event is far more popular than the game itself. I love the event, but the game puts me to sleep if I watch on TV.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have never been to an Alabama spring game, but the one at OSU is not so much a game as an event for the fans. The event is far more popular than the game itself. I love the event, but the game puts me to sleep if I watch on TV.
I'm sure it's that way in T-Town, too - which is why I'm not calling for its removal.

But saying this applies to other schools as is the implication here is failure to consider the different emphases is my only point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.