Cancel Spring Game: the new fad

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
TUCSON, Ariz. - By and large, college football coaches hate spring games.

"You start thinking about it, and if you can get 40 or 50,000 in attendance then maybe it’s worthwhile in recruiting, maybe," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said.

The hardcore fan wants to believe an exhibition scrimmage six months before the season affects crucial position battles or accurately previews a new offensive or defensive system.

"Whatever you’re teaching scheme-wise, you’ve got six or seven months before players use it," Rodriguez said. "The 20, 30 spring games I’ve ever been a part of, all you do is worry about getting your starters hurt and not showing anything new to your future opponents.

"So hey, I can solve that problem. Let’s not have one."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/3/17/11256100/rich-rodriguez-arizona-football-spring

I just don't buy into the Spring game is a big waste of time. Maybe those coaches are not coaching the Spring game correctly. Rich Rod said scheme-wise you are not going to use it for six months. Why even practice then, you are not going play for six months and players get hurt during practice, you know.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe he just wants to spend more time with Rita.:biggrin:
That's funny! :) You know it just occurred to me that if you run a HUNH then you really don't need much practice anyway since you have no plan other than to catch the other team off guard. I guess it does make sense for Rich Rod and probably the Baylors of this world.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reading the story, it looks like they turned a "meh" spring game into an awesome fan event. I wouldn't want Alabama or OSU to do it, but the fans really seemed to react in a positive way.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Last night, I talked to a buddy that lives there, and is a 'Zona grad.

He didn't sound real happy, about anything going on out there. Of course, a lot of that may be due to their horrible flame-out, in the Big Dance. (That reminds me...............need to annoy some BayLOL folks that I know......................)

Man, did we ever dodge a bullet. Thanks, Rita!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I thought it was fun and seemed like a good idea but there were very few people in the stands there.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't think Coach Saban would EVER give up an opportunity for an on-the-field practice, which includes the A-Day scrimmage. But then again, we do obtain those large numbers in the stadium. So I guess it's different.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
He's not considering the butts in the seats... at home. If Arizona were worth a crap and could get their spring game on ESPN to millions of viewers... he'd realize the positive impact it could have.

Then again, until he does something successful in his coaching career let's just add him to the list of idiots to ignore.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's Arizona and nobody out there cares about football enough to show up. It may be a fad but only because the ones doing it don't have enough interest in it to do it.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Reading the story, it looks like they turned a "meh" spring game into an awesome fan event. I wouldn't want Alabama or OSU to do it, but the fans really seemed to react in a positive way.
So long as 'Bama's got NCs to celebrate within 10-12 weeks of them, keep the turnstiles spinning and the headcount climbing.

But if you're All-bran, you might want to go with the modern rendition of how Notre Dame (and Ga. Tech and others) used to do it, Varsity vs. Alums - only now it would two-handed touch. Their defense is so attuned to touch only already you know the varsity would give a very good depiction for coaches' film...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Ok, be honest... How many of you guys wouldn't pay good money to have that find of fan experience on the field with Bama players???

That's what I thought.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that I want Coach Saban to eschew the A-Day game in favor of an event like that. However, I also don't think that an event like that - in and of itself - would be a bad thing for any team, including Alabama. I just wouldn't want to have to sacrifice a practice for it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The media always lives for the day. I don't think spring training with power schools will ever be in jeapordy. It is a long off season and plays a significant, strategic role with relations with fan base. When I read these articles, I think of the SEC.....and no, there is no good reason to not have a spring game, in Bama's case, brings all members of the "process" together......including recruits.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
A-Day at Bryant-Denny is a spectacle. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No, it is not a game day experience but never-the-less a spectacle. I could be wrong, but I thought most teams play a lot of new guys so they can get a look at them in a game atmosphere. They year we went we saw five QB's and seven or eight running backs. Beside that, beanie wieners vs. steak is on the line, :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.