2017 Prospect: JUCO LB Gary Johnson Updates

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
JUCO LB Gary Johnson

Haven't heard anything re: this player since signing day. Did I miss something?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: ***JUCO LB Gary Johnson Commits To Bama***

BOL saying Johnson won't enroll in January. Apparently has some academic work to do in order to graduate in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

BOL saying Johnson won't enroll in January. Apparently has some academic work to do in order to graduate in the spring.

That really hurts a JUCO. You want/need them to play immediately,

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

AJC reports that Johnson chafing a bit because he has next to no contact with Pruitt. Given his academic situation, this one may be worth watching.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

I just don't see how these guys struggle so much to make minimum-threshold grades considering the watered down coursework and all the assistance available.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I won't say too much, but at this point I wouldn't feel too good about this one as of right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

We have a great LB class of HS kids and we may have more on the way. Wondering with the report Pruitt has not been in touch lately mean he does not have a spot (especially not being able to enroll early).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Does that really qualify as a decommit when he knows that he doesn't qualify?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Does that really qualify as a decommit when he knows that he doesn't qualify?
It means he "ain't coming anymore..." Call it what you want...that's the first time I have ever seen the SEC having stronger admission requirements.

As far as struggling to make the grade...some of us don't really know how academically challenged these young men can be. I have a son who was "learning disabled" and school was a massive challenge...he graduated, played a D-I level sport, and graduated from college -- but it was never routine or easy. He's doing great in business...but trust me...some brains are wired different from others. Doesn't mean they are dumb, but that they learn differently. All the best to this young man...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

It means he "ain't coming anymore..." Call it what you want...that's the first time I have ever seen the SEC having stronger admission requirements.

As far as struggling to make the grade...some of us don't really know how academically challenged these young men can be. I have a son who was "learning disabled" and school was a massive challenge...he graduated, played a D-I level sport, and graduated from college -- but it was never routine or easy. He's doing great in business...but trust me...some brains are wired different from others. Doesn't mean they are dumb, but that they learn differently. All the best to this young man...
Understand what you`re saying. Nevertheless, it`s always been a source of amusement to me that a kid can master the intricacies of a playbook the thickness of a small phone book but can`t make it through a freshman English course, for example. Maybe someone who knows more about education/learning can explain it to me. Not trying to be nasty at all, just have never grasped that whole thing.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Understand what you`re saying. Nevertheless, it`s always been a source of amusement to me that a kid can master the intricacies of a playbook the thickness of a small phone book but can`t make it through a freshman English course, for example. Maybe someone who knows more about education/learning can explain it to me. Not trying to be nasty at all, just have never grasped that whole thing.
I was in advanced freshman comp in the early 1970s in Morgan Hall with a bunch of future doctors and lawyers, and not a one of them could write a coherent sentence. Football is something players love and they can see an immediate value in doing it well. School, in many cases, is something they've never learned to do, either at home or in the classroom. Or, as in the case of Padre's son, their brains simply work in different ways. A friend of mine at UA who literally had troubling reading a book turned his life around when he walked into his first engineering class. Turns out he was a genius in the field.

In Mr. Johnson's case, it sounds like his scholarship was based on him graduating in time to be at spring practice. Since he won't be playing in the SEC, let's all wish him good luck.

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I can certainly understand why some people have learning difficulties. My son, with an IQ around 136, had an awful time with chemistry in HS. If it had not been for a dedicated chem teacher, he would not have been able to graduate as chem is a core class.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

..that's the first time I have ever seen the SEC having stronger admission requirements.
Mike Ford comes to mind, several will end up a USF or other schools in that conference because of lower admission requirements. It is a major reason those teams compete well on any given Saturday.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I really hate this because he's a really good LB. I hope he gets in a good school and I wish him the best.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

We can tell you've never been around anyone with learning disabilities and that's not your fault nor is it a mark against you. Kids pick up different things in different ways. It's like picking up math like it's nothing and getting nothing but 100's in class but you can't pass English. It's the same theory with kids that can learn a huge playbook but can't spell above a 3rd grade level. Some things just click and some things don't. It's why some people that were geniuses that killed themselves or drove themselves crazy, their brain only operated at one level and one level only and when they couldn't use it for inventing things, etc. they went absolutely crazy or hurt themselves. When you look at it everyone is about the same way, I'm sure you have something you know a lot about that your family could be considered "dumb" about.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gary committed to Texas today. Guess he got his academics in order. Or Herman is taking a chance he gets the necessary things completed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.