National Championships in the last quarter century

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
To be clear, that OSU team did nothing to gain a competitive advantage on the field. Jim Tressel was an idiot who should have just let his players take their lumps for selling their gold pants. It would have meant a few games missed for each, but we would have lost nothing else. Tressel's lies in his weak attempt at a cover-up is what led to the suspensions and his removal from our program.

In other words, the championship won was as legit as any other won during the BCS era.
Does the name Maurice Clarett ring a bell?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You realize that he was kicked off of the team and out of the University, right? :conf2:
You realize that was AFTER OSU had already won the national championship in which Clarett scored the winning TD. The guy received preferential treatment from his professors in order to keep him eligible because he never attended class. It's a fairly well documented case. But hey, what reason do we have to question the honesty and morals of one Jim Tressel :conf2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You realize that was AFTER OSU had already won the national championship in which Clarett scored the winning TD. The guy received preferential treatment from his professors in order to keep him eligible because he never attended class. It's a fairly well documented case. But hey, what reason do we have to question the honesty and morals of one Jim Tressel :conf2:
This was processed by the NCAA and the NCAA decided not to take action. He was kicked out of school the next year. That was the NCAA's call during an era when the NCAA was not afraid to hammer schools, so I tend to believe that he was fine. You can believe whatever you wish.

But I agree that Tressel was garbage.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think you're referring to most of the coaches on the list who only have 1 NC. Several of those coaches - Mack Brown, Gene Chizik, Jimbo Fisher - won a NC solely based on having a transcendent talent at the QB position in Vince Young, Cam Newton and Jameis Winston. Larry Coker inherited one of the most talented rosters of all time. Jim Tressel was cheating. Bob Stoops won his (IIRC) in his 2nd year with someone the previous coach's players. Yea, so about half of that list is just a flash in the pan. Some truly all time greats though with Saban, Meyer, Osborne, Bowden, Stallings, Spurrier etc..
I love Stallings but I would not call him an all time great or group him with those other coaches.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I love Stallings but I would not call him an all time great or group him with those other coaches.
I think Stallings was an absolutely brilliant defensive coach. Couple that with one of the classiest gentlemen ever and he makes my personal list of all time greats.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think Stallings was an absolutely brilliant defensive coach. Couple that with one of the classiest gentlemen ever and he makes my personal list of all time greats.
Coach Stallings came at a time that we needed an Alpha Male and a smash mouthed football coach, and he took us to the promised land. I do not like when he is marginalized because of what has been done later. It may be my age, but that 1992 championship sent me in to hysterics for at least a year. A thing of beauty. Coach Stallings came here when we needed and delivered. Always talked out program up when others were putting it down. "Too demanding" whimps!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What's even better, in life he's a great person. I've talked to him a few times at various events and he's just a normal person who happened to reach the pinnacle at Bama.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I think you're referring to most of the coaches on the list who only have 1 NC. Several of those coaches - Mack Brown, Gene Chizik, Jimbo Fisher - won a NC solely based on having a transcendent talent at the QB position in Vince Young, Cam Newton and Jameis Winston. Larry Coker inherited one of the most talented rosters of all time. Jim Tressel was cheating. Bob Stoops won his (IIRC) in his 2nd year with someone the previous coach's players. Yea, so about half of that list is just a flash in the pan. Some truly all time greats though with Saban, Meyer, Osborne, Bowden, Stallings, Spurrier etc..
Bobby Bowden 2 - The game had passed him by...but he was no doubt pressured into retirement.
Gene Stallings 1 - It is well known that he was forced into retirement.
Don James 1 - Resigned after his program was hit with sanctions for improper benefits.
Lloyd Carr 1 - Forced to retire.
Phil Fulmer 1 - Forced to retire.
Larry Coker 1 - Fired.
Jim Tressel 1 - Resigned after the improper benefits fiasco everyone knows about.
Mack Brown 1 - Forced to retire.
Gene Chizik 1 - Fired.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Bobby Bowden 2 - The game had passed him by...but he was no doubt pressured into retirement.
Gene Stallings 1 - It is well known that he was forced into retirement.
Don James 1 - Resigned after his program was hit with sanctions for improper benefits.
Lloyd Carr 1 - Forced to retire.
Phil Fulmer 1 - Forced to retire.
Larry Coker 1 - Fired.
Jim Tressel 1 - Resigned after the improper benefits fiasco everyone knows about.
Mack Brown 1 - Forced to retire.
Gene Chizik 1 - Fired.
Nick Saban - forcing everyone else to retire.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.