Alabama: Don't be shocked to see them win it all again.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I actually think I'm a fan of the change. When you get new players, you get hungry athletes who feel like they have something to prove. You get that desire to make the team your own. With returning starters it's easier to get complacency like 2010. Obviously the new guys can have growing pains but I think they bring a competitive edge as well.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
In some aspects it seems Alabama is actually still improving year to year.
Or "evolving".

Being able to consistently recruit such a broad range of talent at such a high level year after year after year and then develop that talent into multiple schemes on both sides of the ball is nothing short of amazing.

Will there ever be another Nick Saban?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Or "evolving".

Being able to consistently recruit such a broad range of talent at such a high level year after year after year and then develop that talent into multiple schemes on both sides of the ball is nothing short of amazing.

Will there ever be another Nick Saban?
"Will there ever be another Paul Bryant??" asked Alabama fans in 1983.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
"Will there ever be another Paul Bryant??" asked Alabama fans in 1983.
I figure there may well be another Coach of Coach Saban's caliber. Just hope we are smart enough, stubborn enough, and willing enough to do what's necessary to bring him to The Capstone.
I hope 25 years down the road someone remembers that great coaches don't come cheap.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
My biggest concern at the moment is USCw, I've heard it said that they have a 1st year QB that's not too shabby and I seem to remember CLK recruiting one before he left there that was highly rated but maybe I'm thinking about their RB.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I actually think I'm a fan of the change. When you get new players, you get hungry athletes who feel like they have something to prove. You get that desire to make the team your own. With returning starters it's easier to get complacency like 2010. Obviously the new guys can have growing pains but I think they bring a competitive edge as well.

Bama had but 10 returning starters in 2010. The SEC killed the 2010 team with the 6 byes. I'll take the 17 returning starters, as in 2011, every year.

Edit: IMO, the 2010 team was not complacent. It was a tired tired team. Played the entire final two months uphill on an uneven playing field. Michigan State learned what it was like to play that team with the same amount of rest, healing time and preparation time. How did that work out?

And Bama didn't do themselves a favor with the schedule either. Playing the extra road game at Duke the week prior to starting the murderous SEC schedule was a HUGE mistake. Caused the game AT SC to be the third road game in four weeks. How did that work out? Also caused the game AT LSU to be the fifth road game in eight weeks. How did that work out? As said before, a tired tired team.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Bama had but 10 returning starters in 2010. The SEC killed the 2010 team with the 6 byes. I'll take the 17 returning starters, as in 2011, every year.

Edit: IMO, the 2010 team was not complacent. It was a tired tired team. Played the entire final two months uphill on an uneven playing field. Michigan State learned what it was like to play that team with the same amount of rest, healing time and preparation time. How did that work out?

And Bama didn't do themselves a favor with the schedule either. Playing the extra road game at Duke the week prior to starting the murderous SEC schedule was a HUGE mistake. Caused the game AT SC to be the third road game in four weeks. How did that work out? Also caused the game AT LSU to be the fifth road game in eight weeks. How did that work out? As said before, a tired tired team.
That was Roy Kramer's present to us. That schedule was made ten years in advance and Roy knew he would be long gone before it hit us what he had done.

Kramer was a first class douche...:cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Call it what you will, but young players putting on that Crimson uniform and everyone telling them they''re on the best team in the land, with the best coach in the land, and are a cinch to win it all. Then bam...you have the makings for some players walking around with heads so big you could grow watermelons in them. They think all they have to do is to walk on the field for the win..
It's happened before, and it can very easily happen again. Let's not fill their heads with thoughts of glory. Not just yet..

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
That schedule didn't come close to the schedule that you faced last season.
2010 to me was as much about injuries as it was the schedule. Almost all of of our star players had injuries at some point in the year. Ingram, Julio, dareus, Upshaw, carpenter, vlachos, trent, barron, Hightower recovering, gmac against the barn. It was a tough year.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Seventeen (1998-2000. 2003-present) year MSU beat writer ranks MSU opponents in basketball and football during that time.

1. Alabama football 2010: Yeah, that’s right. MSU has played several national champions in both sports over the years, yet I went with the 2011 Capital One Bowl champions as the best football or basketball team I’ve ever seen play a Michigan State team. As Alabama fans will tell you, that team had tons of injuries. And it had inconsistency. And it had a ridiculous collapse in a loss to Cam Newton and Auburn. It also had Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Barrett Jones, D.J. Fluker, Marcell Dareus, Dont’a Hightower, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc., etc. A terrific college quarterback and leader (which seems to be Nick Saban’s ceiling at that position at Bama) in Greg McElroy. This team should have won it all going away. Keep in mind, that 2010 MSU team was legitimate. It won a share of the Big Ten, beat Wisconsin and Notre Dame, won big at Michigan, had pros on both sides of the ball. And was made to look like a Division III team by Alabama in a 49-7 humiliation. By midway through the third quarter, you just wondered how many more MSU guys were going to get knocked from the game.

2. Alabama football 2015: I would take the 2010 Alabama team over the defending national champs. Both healthy, neutral field (I mean, I suppose all the fans would be happy either way) and both playing their best football. Of course, the 2015 Alabama team won it all. And if you want to compare results, the 2015 Alabama team won 38-0 over a much better MSU team than the one the 2010 Alabama team destroyed. But again … for the 284th time … the Capital One Bowl was never competitive. This game was, for a full half. And then it got out of hand. And frankly, Jake Coker played above his level that night. So, apologies to the 2015 Alabama football team. You may be No. 1 in the nation right now, but you’re merely No. 2 on the list of opposing teams I’ve watched MSU play on this beat. Will you be OK?

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/.../hey-joe-top-10-best-msus-opponents/82260760/

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Seventeen (1998-2000. 2003-present) year MSU beat writer ranks MSU opponents in basketball and football during that time.

1. Alabama football 2010: Yeah, that’s right. MSU has played several national champions in both sports over the years, yet I went with the 2011 Capital One Bowl champions as the best football or basketball team I’ve ever seen play a Michigan State team. As Alabama fans will tell you, that team had tons of injuries. And it had inconsistency. And it had a ridiculous collapse in a loss to Cam Newton and Auburn. It also had Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Barrett Jones, D.J. Fluker, Marcell Dareus, Dont’a Hightower, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc., etc. A terrific college quarterback and leader (which seems to be Nick Saban’s ceiling at that position at Bama) in Greg McElroy. This team should have won it all going away. Keep in mind, that 2010 MSU team was legitimate. It won a share of the Big Ten, beat Wisconsin and Notre Dame, won big at Michigan, had pros on both sides of the ball. And was made to look like a Division III team by Alabama in a 49-7 humiliation. By midway through the third quarter, you just wondered how many more MSU guys were going to get knocked from the game.

2. Alabama football 2015: I would take the 2010 Alabama team over the defending national champs. Both healthy, neutral field (I mean, I suppose all the fans would be happy either way) and both playing their best football. Of course, the 2015 Alabama team won it all. And if you want to compare results, the 2015 Alabama team won 38-0 over a much better MSU team than the one the 2010 Alabama team destroyed. But again … for the 284th time … the Capital One Bowl was never competitive. This game was, for a full half. And then it got out of hand. And frankly, Jake Coker played above his level that night. So, apologies to the 2015 Alabama football team. You may be No. 1 in the nation right now, but you’re merely No. 2 on the list of opposing teams I’ve watched MSU play on this beat. Will you be OK?

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/.../hey-joe-top-10-best-msus-opponents/82260760/

I appreciate the props from a Michigan State guy.

Three things stick with me from that 2010 game:
- It was the first time all year that we were both healthy and not feeling entitled. I think we were angry at ourselves, and MSUn was just the poor schmucks that were standing across the LOS when we finally got our act together.

- I'm under no illusions that MSUn was fully into that game in the first place. They were in a three-way tie for the Big 10 championship. But due to some bizarre tie-breaker, got jobbed out of the Rose Bowl even though they had beaten the team that went. Like Alabama against Utah in the Sugar Bowl, MSUn just didn't care that much.

- MSUn was forced to punt on 4th and goal. I've been watching college football with at least some degree of awareness for about 45 years. I had never seen that before, haven't since, and don't expect to do so ever again.

To me, the win was kind of bittersweet. A great win over a good team. But also a confirmation of what could have been had we achieved our potential throughout the year.

Last edited:
I can't say they were tired. Did it hurt some? Yes, but that team should have gone unbeaten. It was kind of a disappointment that they didn't repeat. They had chances in all of the game. Should have beaten USCe in SC, don't know what happened against LSU and AU. That's just me. I think it was more of an internal problem and didn't know how to handle prosperity. They've learned a lot from that team though. Something I think was needed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.