B1G now accepting media rights bids

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Big Ten’s current media rights contract is with ESPN, while the contract for the Big Ten Football Championship Game is under a separate contract with FOX Sports. FOX also has a 51 percent ownership stake in the Big Ten Network (the Big Ten owns the remaining 49 percent). As noted by Awful Announcing, it should probably be expected ESPN and FOX will split the media rights for Big Ten football games, with FOX possibly prepared to cut a bigger cut of the distribution to provide more live content for FOX Sports 1.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/21/big-ten-now-accepting-media-rights-offers/

I was surprised to see FOX owns 51% of the B1G Network. I assumed ESPN controlled everything. Competition is a good thing. I hope to see more balance between CBSSN, FOX1, NBCSN and ESPN. Fox has a contract to show some Big 12 and Pac 12 games and maybe they will get more.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Big Ten has tired to keep themselves more diversified rather than jumping almost entirely with ESPN. Honestly I think it is a smart move. The SEC's dependence on ESPN/Disney is a bit of a risk.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I will not watch Fox Sports. I will not watch ESPN unless it is an SEC game with Todd Blackledge and Mike Patrick. I will watch other SEC games with other announcers and my friend the Mute button. What little I have seen on Fox Sports has been pitiful.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Probably not the best time to be soliciting bids for media rights. ESPN, FOX Sports, etc are all facing major issues with declining subscribers. It'll be interesting to see how the numbers stack up compared to the media rights deals of the other major conferences..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Probably not the best time to be soliciting bids for media rights. ESPN, FOX Sports, etc are all facing major issues with declining subscribers. It'll be interesting to see how the numbers stack up compared to the media rights deals of the other major conferences..
Yeah. We don't get the Big Ten network, and I rarely watch any football on Fox Sports, so if they go away from ESPN I won't see the Big Ten at all anymore. I'd really miss that.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It will be interesting to see how the bidding process goes. With the recent dips in attendance and play-off viewership, coupled with ESPN losing subscribers and needing to cut costs, there might not be the huge dollars available for the conferences this go around.

If you add in some of the other issues in football today (amateurism, concussions, litigation, etc), it will be interesting to see how these media companies approach the negotiations. I wonder if there will companies will be less willing to enter into deals that can be described as "landmark", similar to the one ESPN signed with the B1G previously.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
This will eventually trickle down to athletic departments and, because salaries will never be lowered, cause a rise in student athletic subsidies.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I guess I am not a College Football Prima Donna. I watch Fox, NBC, ABC, ESPN(s). I don't care who is calling the game. I used to watch the B1G network when I had Direct TV. All TV is good since I am old enough to remember ONE game each Saturday with the occasional double-header. The worst TV football is better than the "game of the week" on radio.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I will not watch Fox Sports. I will not watch ESPN unless it is an SEC game with Todd Blackledge and Mike Patrick. I will watch other SEC games with other announcers and my friend the Mute button. What little I have seen on Fox Sports has been pitiful.
With FOX paying Nascar a few billion dollars and now Nascar is looking like Pastcar I wonder if FOX is going to really pay big bucks for football. In hindsight look at all the Bowl games that ESPN has created, programming on tv is so bad people prefer to watch Eastern Idaho vs Southern Alaska play in the Bham Bowl instead of Honey Boo Boo or whatever mindless drivel they put on tv these days. I was happy when I could get channel 31 in Huntsville at 11 pm on Saturday nite to see the science fiction movie of the week with Adrienne Barbeau. We only had 4 channels back in the day.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
With FOX paying Nascar a few billion dollars and now Nascar is looking like Pastcar I wonder if FOX is going to really pay big bucks for football. In hindsight look at all the Bowl games that ESPN has created, programming on tv is so bad people prefer to watch Eastern Idaho vs Southern Alaska play in the Bham Bowl instead of Honey Boo Boo or whatever mindless drivel they put on tv these days. I was happy when I could get channel 31 in Huntsville at 11 pm on Saturday nite to see the science fiction movie of the week with Adrienne Barbeau. We only had 4 channels back in the day.
You make an extremely good argument, yowsa.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I remember when channel 54 launched as an Independent. It was snowy but I went and bought a booster for the antenna. Wow. Now we could watch re-runs and movies all day instead of the network stuff. It was awesome to have four cannels and one a movie/rerun. 54 became our favorite.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really hope Fox Sports never have anything to do with the SEC or SECTV. I do not like their on air personalities at all. Brando, Clay Travis, Joel Klatt all are anti Bama and don't try to hide it very good.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I really hope Fox Sports never have anything to do with the SEC or SECTV. I do not like their on air personalities at all. Brando, Clay Travis, Joel Klatt all are anti Bama and don't try to hide it very good.
I imagine if they had an SEC contract they would be told to hide it, or go look for work elsewhere.

One thing I have noticed trolling is that the Big 12 hates Fox. The Pac 12 hates Fox. The SEC hates CBS. Everyone hates NBC and ABC/ESPN. Fox has the worse picture, CBS has the worse announcers, etc., etc. No one safe. :)

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I guess I am not a College Football Prima Donna. I watch Fox, NBC, ABC, ESPN(s). I don't care who is calling the game. I used to watch the B1G network when I had Direct TV. All TV is good since I am old enough to remember ONE game each Saturday with the occasional double-header. The worst TV football is better than the "game of the week" on radio.
Yeah, I'm not a tv snob at all, I just don't get the channels. Plus, even if I did I'm going to prefer the SEC games over the rest so I'd still miss most Big Ten games. There's only a few announcers I just flat out hate to listen to. Most of the rest have positives and negatives, and a few are exceptional all the time such as Nessler and Blackledge.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Yeah. We don't get the Big Ten network, and I rarely watch any football on Fox Sports, so if they go away from ESPN I won't see the Big Ten at all anymore. I'd really miss that.
Have to agree. Fox's sport coverage is abysmal. I just hope ESPN get the rights to cover the European Champions League Cup and the UEFA Cup games in the future. Fox announcers are generally ill informed and appear to know little about Association Football aka soccer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.