Alabama LB Signee Mack Wilson to Have Shoulder Surgery on Torn Labrum

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mack tweeted it last night. Apparently, he tore his labrum in the tenth grade but didn't realize it.

Link

One of Alabama's three five-star football signees of its No. 1-ranked recruiting class will undergo surgery next week.

In-state outside linebacker Lyndell Wilson found out he will have to undergo shoulder surgery next week to repair a torn labrum after a meeting with Alabama team doctor Lyle Cain, he shared Wednesday night via Twitter.

Wilson told BamaOnLine Wednesday night that his shoulder seemed like just a nagging injury and he "didn't know it was so serious." Dr. Cain told the Montgomery native the setback should only sideline him for the next 3-4 months.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hate to hear this...

Esp given that shoulders can take such a long time to heal...

Prayers going up for the young man's speedy n full recovery...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Glad he found out now. Obviously would have been even better to have known in 10th grade or 11th grade or 12 grade but at least it's not right before the start of fall practices in his sophomore year. Sounds like he should be good by this fall and it was unlikely that he'd see a lot of playing time anyways. Still, has to suck to feel like you are starting this big adventure and before you can even get to trade licks with your new in-team competition you have to be sidelined.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Ouch! I hate that for him and us...thought he might start day 1. The good news though is he is in GREAT hands!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Hate to hear this...

Esp given that shoulders can take such a long time to heal...

Prayers going up for the young man's speedy n full recovery...
I believe I saw typical healing time is 8-12 weeks so not too bad as long as everything goes as planned.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Glad he found out now. Obviously would have been even better to have known in 10th grade or 11th grade or 12 grade ...
He's should be in the 12th grade for a couple months unless he graduated early. [Article says he's been watching Bama practice. So either he's on spring break or graduated early.] He should be OK or nearly so by camp.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
From 10th grade to college nobody knew he had a labrum tear.

Sad
i didn't know where it even was before reading this, but a quick google shows that its pretty herd to diagnose and sometimes its not a 100 percent diagnosis until they go in with the scope

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
i didn't know where it even was before reading this, but a quick google shows that its pretty herd to diagnose and sometimes its not a 100 percent diagnosis until they go in with the scope
Yep, the shoulder has many structures and lots of stuff going on in there. My right one snaps, crackles, and pops due to tens of thousands of BP pitches. But I'm not a five star athlete.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
From 10th grade to college nobody knew he had a labrum tear.

Sad
I had one for a long time and thru 2 deployments of heavy lifting, wearing gear in combat situations and I didn't know anything but my shoulder ached. Of course it got worse I'm sure as once it was diagnosed for surgery I had severe tears in my SLAP and rotator cuff. He's young and has good surgeons, so he should recover ok. It's early but I expect that Mack will redshirt.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.