Blog: Latest Bama News 3/28/2016 Thru 3/31/2016

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Georgia politicians think restricting access to public records will help UGA football. That's stupid. - SBNation.com-rbr
"It's a similar subject that, from what I understand, came to light through Kirby Smart at UGA. It had to do with football teams or athletic departments that are recruiting people in state of Georgia. They had a (shorter) window where the documents were not yet public, but other states had 90 days." "It just allows us to play on the same field as Alabama and everybody else," said the bill's co-sponsor, state senator Earl Ehrahrt, per the Telegraph. Schools in Alabama do not have a legal requirement to respond in a specific time period, which is atypical, and theFlorida Gators are exempt from most records requests due to running their athletics via a non-profit corporation.
rbr opKirby Smart, in essence, is leaning on GA legislators to make a FOIA request response (not the actual production) sunset at 90 days rather than 3. The reason? State travel is subject to FOIA production, and Smart thinks that competitors will be able to horn in on possible recruits the Dawgs have identified early. This is, of course, nonsense. In 2016, there are pretty much no unknown recruits. There are only undervalued recruits that everyone knows about after either a stellar camp, a beat report, or grapevine indications of other visits. There simply aren't blue chip surprises when that talent is identified by the time these kids hit puberty (and are often offered just as quickly.) Just a cheap political ploy to get some Dawg votes by Ehrahrt. ARP ARP ARP

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Joe Montana could have used one of these...rbr
How a smartphone app and $15 piece of cardboard are taking on football concussions - SBNation.com-rbr
The user does not have much control of the simulation -- he can look around and press a button to catch the ball, but no matter what he's going to get hit. The most important choice comes after the rep when he must tell his coach whether he can keep practicing. If he decides to stay on the field, he is subjected to more hits, potentially worsening the severity of the concussion. The app was consciously designed so that, at a certain point, the user can be so concussed he can no longer discern the prompts on the screen -- essentially, the user is no longer physically able to decide what is best for his own health. The scenario is a warning of what can happen when an athlete tries to fight through symptoms.
rbr opThis is a great idea to help augment trainers and docs' concussion protocols. I particularly like how they used NCAA athletes to help develop it, including Arizona's Scooby Wright. The sport has to be more proactive, in any event. Concussion lawsuits and the growing body of CTE research will do more to kill football than any legal, regulatory or financial burden ever could.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Ole Miss' Hugh Freeze compares NCAA investigation to 'four-year colonoscopy'-rbr
On whispers: "Have I been insulted? Absolutely. Many times. I handle it a lot better now. … The perception out there and the narrative of all this pay-for-play that is, in my opinion, very inaccurate."
rbr opPay for play isn't an opinion, Hugh. You either did it or you did it and haven't been hammered yet. If you think the investigation is a colonoscopy, wait until you find out what the actual sanctions feel like.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.