Link: The "tiny house" movement. Anyone familiar with this?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My wife and I just upgraded to around 3500 sqft by buying and remodeling a house last year - up from about 1400 sqft in a downtown, loft apartment. We miss the location; it was really nice to just be able to walk downstairs and have our choice of restaurants, downtown activities, etc.

On the other hand, now that we have this much space we're trying to figure out how we didn't kill each other before. :biggrin2:

I can't imagine living in tiny spaces like that. I need a lot of elbow room, literally and figuratively. I'm not a giant but I'm certainly not a small man and while I'm not exactly svelte I'm not a bowling ball either. Clothing manufacturers seem to think so, though. I'm a hair under 6' but I have to get any dress shirt I wear tailored as I need a 19.5" neck, 36.5" arms, a 55" chest, and a 42" waist. I think I would last about three hours in one of those tiny homes before going into "Hulk" mode and literally busting my way out!

Oh, and a note on the remodeling thing...
The absolute best thing you can do for your marriage: a master bathroom with separate vanities!

I think the biggest market for these tiny homes are millennials and to some degree (as 92tide so eloquently put it) the hipster crowds. Granted, you have others who do but it seems the biggest consumers of these homes are millennials and hipsters. It is definitely not for everyone for sure.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think the biggest market for these tiny homes are millennials and to some degree (as 92tide so eloquently put it) the hipster crowds. Granted, you have others who do but it seems the biggest consumers of these homes are millennials and hipsters. It is definitely not for everyone for sure.
yep it is the hipsters that want these things. to me they are just a notch above dumpster and card board box. I will take my 900 square foot apartment

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
yep it is the hipsters that want these things. to me they are just a notch above dumpster and card board box. I will take my 900 square foot apartment
Not to completely derail this but I cannot fathom the energy it takes for someone to constantly have to make efforts to stay "different". My brother in law finally (at age 46) decided he'd had enough of the hipster persona. It just took too much time and energy to constantly be different. Lord forbid someone else on earth had a t shirt like his or had heard of a band he supposedly liked. The struggle must have been real.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I've been looking on and off for a year for some land or a house with land. I found some land I liked, but there were deed restrictions. I would have had to build a 2500 sq. house or larger with an attached garage just to build there. I said I don't think so. I don't want something that large since right now it's just me. I'm thinking 1500-1800 square feet will do, but I do want acreage. Easier said than done in the areas I'm looking at.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not to completely derail this but I cannot fathom the energy it takes for someone to constantly have to make efforts to stay "different". My brother in law finally (at age 46) decided he'd had enough of the hipster persona. It just took too much time and energy to constantly be different. Lord forbid someone else on earth had a t shirt like his or had heard of a band he supposedly liked. The struggle must have been real.
there is also the constant need to appear "authentic"

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
there is also the constant need to appear "authentic"
Yeah, I've heard that one before too. What does that actually mean? LOL!
maybe we should start a new thread on hipsters?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I've been looking on and off for a year for some land or a house with land. I found some land I liked, but there were deed restrictions. I would have had to build a 2500 sq. house or larger with an attached garage just to build there. I said I don't think so. I don't want something that large since right now it's just me. I'm thinking 1500-1800 square feet will do, but I do want acreage. Easier said than done in the areas I'm looking at.
do you need an architect because I know a guy

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
do you need an architect because I know a guy
Read the fine print Jessica. Used to be a lot of confusion about square footage. Under roof, under beam, heated area, living area etc. If the restriction just says 2500 ft2 then an 1800 foot house with a 500 foot garage and 200 foot screened in porch would do it. Does an association have to approve it?

Perhaps our resident architect can shed some light.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Reb, we must be twins separated at birth. I like to have my neighbors far enough away that I can't hear them. Yard work might become a problem as I get older than the 65 that I am. We'll see. Live in Mexicans?

If I wasn't married all I would need is a sleeping room, bathroom. fridge, microwave and HD TV. A tiny house set in the middle of 5 acres might do it.

I think tiny houses are perhaps a sign that housing is becoming less and less affordable.
Here's the way I look at it. I spent me entire adult life, and even a few teen years, providing for myself, then my wife and family. I was able to have an enjoyable career, build and then sell a profitable business.

Now that I'm retired, I'm able to enjoy the fruits of labor from all those years. I don't think I should have to live the rest of my life trying to live up to someone else's standards or by whatever fad comes along next.
No, I don't need fads in my life, especially when it comes to housing. Mine's paid for, and I have no need or desire to change that.
I'll live the rest of my days out here in the woods, on the lake, hunting, fishing and doing what, when, where and how I please.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Read the fine print Jessica. Used to be a lot of confusion about square footage. Under roof, under beam, heated area, living area etc. If the restriction just says 2500 ft2 then an 1800 foot house with a 500 foot garage and 200 foot screened in porch would do it. Does an association have to approve it?

It all depends on the developer. Before we lived in the house we are in now we lived in a gated neighborhood with all kinds of building restrictions. However, the developer would redefine (as he went along) or re-interpret said restrictions based on the person building. The good ole boy system in other words. There were homes in there for people he knew that were held to a lower standard than other homes who had already built. It was maddening. And the HOA was even worse. Until the development had enough homes built in it the developer owned the majority vote for years. I had all I could take. Stayed there seven years and got out. Now I live on a road with no gates, no HOA hoopla and the headaches that go along with them.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I was told my the realtor that it had to be heated space. The price per acre was crazy anyway so I decided to pass.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It all depends on the developer. Before we lived in the house we are in now we lived in a gated neighborhood with all kinds of building restrictions. However, the developer would redefine (as he went along) or re-interpret said restrictions based on the person building. The good ole boy system in other words. There were homes in there for people he knew that were held to a lower standard than other homes who had already built. It was maddening. And the HOA was even worse. Until the development had enough homes built in it the developer owned the majority vote for years. I had all I could take. Stayed there seven years and got out. Now I live on a road with no gates, no HOA hoopla and the headaches that go along with them.
i am so glad that i have never lived anywhere with a hoa. i have heard too many horror stories

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've heard some HOA horror stories but our HOA is awesome. Granted, it's a small community (only 32 houses) where everyone knows each other, so there isn't any of the anonymous complaint crap that happens at some. And somehow we've avoided having anyone living in the neighborhood that's wound tightly. We can pretty much do anything we want and never have to worry about a neighbor parking a car on blocks next door, painting their shutter hot pink, etc.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I've heard some HOA horror stories but our HOA is awesome. Granted, it's a small community (only 32 houses) where everyone knows each other, so there isn't any of the anonymous complaint crap that happens at some. And somehow we've avoided having anyone living in the neighborhood that's wound tightly. We can pretty much do anything we want and never have to worry about a neighbor parking a car on blocks next door, painting their shutter hot pink, etc.
It's kind of that way for us too We have 125 houses in our development and not many issues. Our neighborhood is transitioning from older retired couples to younger families. Some of the older folks still in charge of the HOA are busy bodies without a lot to do but canvas the neighborhood looking for silly violations like my neighbor who was driving a company owned car with a corporate logo on the door. They made him remove the logo. :rolleyes:

The lady who we bought our house from was nice, I thought. We have a HOA Facebook page and after we bought her house, she was on there making comments about how glad she was to be away from "people driving around in golf carts spying on all the residents."

That misfire caused the HOA Facebook page to become private and she was dismissed. We heard from the neighbors that she allowed her college age son to have a couple of keggers in the front yard and that didn't go over very well. :biggrin2:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i am so glad that i have never lived anywhere with a hoa. i have heard too many horror stories
My first house had an HOA and a Shared mile long street that was owned by the neighborhood that no one but us and another 2-3 families were willing to start a rainy day fund for, we bailed 12 years ago. Friends who still live there are now trying to figure out how to assess everyone in the neighborhood to pay the huge cost to redo a mile of asphalt

The house we are in now had no HOA when we bought and it was one of the reasons we bought it. A few years back some neighbors tried to create one based on the old one that had expired. They shopped lawyers until they found one willing to take their money got 55% or so of the 'hood to agree and tried to implement, myself and a few others fought back and spent a decent amount of $$$ fighting against them and in the end the judge told them exactly what I told them when I looked into it when proposed "you can form whatever association you want but it has to be voluntary, you can't make anyone join". When it was all said and done the two main idiots who fought for the HOA moved into neighborhoods with them (another thing I told them to do early) and are still considered hero's for trying by the idiots who remained. As you can guess I am not very popular among my neighbors :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Exclusive and judgmental I see. Don't want to live around the common folks huh? We'll change that come November.

Best Wishes,

Bernie Sanders

:wink:

LOL!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.