Justin Coleman Tweets He's Transferring

The Playmaker

2nd Team
Jan 9, 2011
T-town
Sucks because actually having depth was one of the reasons we faded down the stretch. He's a 3pt sniper with some handles that comes off the bench on a good team but this year he tried to force too much. I think maybe the parting of ways was due to him and Avery not agreeing on his role going forward.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I don't get it.

I mean, I can tell you what happened, but I still don't get it.

When Coleman got hot, he was our second best player after Obasohan. I really feel like he should be a big part of the team going forward.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
We will find out lots about our head basketball coach this off season. I'm choosing to believe that he has players "lined up" for those roster spots.

Hoping to hear of transfers or signees for 2016 that can [a] shoot, handle the ball, and play defense from a guard spot and score and rebound from the frontcourt sooner than later.

Thank yous to Coleman and Kessens for their contributions.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I hope Coleman leaving doesn't have anything to do with CAJ's son being eligible next year considering they both play the same position. That's a good way to lose the team. I'm not saying that's what happened at all - I just hope that wasn't the reason..

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
After having watched Coleman for some time now, I'm still of the opinion that he doesn't have the body size or shooting acumen to be consistently successful in the SEC. He is a streaky shooter that is more often cold than hot. For those reasons, I'm not too surprised to learn of his transfer. I hope he finds a spot that suits him well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hope Coleman leaving doesn't have anything to do with CAJ's son being eligible next year considering they both play the same position. That's a good way to lose the team. I'm not saying that's what happened at all - I just hope that wasn't the reason..
He wouldn't have played as much as he did this season had Dazon not gotten injured. Same situation with AJ playing next season and Armond Davis coming in from JUCO.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
The part I don't understand (and this goes with any school) is why they transfer. Most of them (at least 95%) do not have a real shot at the NBA. They can go to school get a good education for free and try and play in Europe if they want to continue playing. I guess they just have too many friends in their ear telling them they have a shot and need to go somewhere else.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The part I don't understand (and this goes with any school) is why they transfer. Most of them (at least 95%) do not have a real shot at the NBA. They can go to school get a good education for free and try and play in Europe if they want to continue playing. I guess they just have too many friends in their ear telling them they have a shot and need to go somewhere else.
Man, not many get an opportunity to play in the game. I don't blame Coleman for transferring. he's a starter potential somewhere. It's not about having many friends in ear... I would've done the same thing if I found out that there's going to be plenty of player ahead of me who may be lot better than I am... so I would transfer. Anyone can get education anywhere.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I felt like we'd have one or two transfers so this was not unexpected. I was a little surprised by Coleman, but makes sense. Ingram will be back as will AJ jr. so playing time would have been limited. He probably would not have played as much this year without Ingram getting injured.

I also suspect that we need the room for new guys. Coach Johnson is reshaping his squad to fit more with his system.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
These other guys playing in our guard rotation better not disappoint, because I know what kind of player Coleman is. He more than handled himself this year. So if we lack production from our guards next year, you'll know where to point the finger.

On a side note to this, here's another reason this bothers me. Coleman is an in-state kid, and you don't want to alienate your in state guys. Alabama doesn't produce enough talent to completely fill a team, but the state has produced lots of good players.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
These other guys playing in our guard rotation better now disappoint, because I know what kind of player Coleman is. He more than handled himself this year. So if we lack production from our guards next year, you'll know where to point the finger.

On a side note to this, here's another reason this bothers me. Coleman is an in-state kid, and you don't want to alienate your in state guys. Alabama doesn't produce enough talent to completely fill a team, but the state has produced lots of good players.

Completely agree. You can't tell me there wouldn't be a role for Coleman on the team this year. If nothing else he can provide a spark off the bench. I thought as the season wore on he got better and better at penetrating and getting to the basket. With Retin graduating and Coleman transferring we are basically starting over at the guard position next year. Ingram played some so hopefully he keeps on developing. I think CAJ may have put a little pressure on himself with this situation because, as you say, if we lack production from the guards next year it's going to look bad on CAJ. Especially if one of the guards is CAJ's son..

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Completely agree. You can't tell me there wouldn't be a role for Coleman on the team this year. If nothing else he can provide a spark off the bench. I thought as the season wore on he got better and better at penetrating and getting to the basket. With Retin graduating and Coleman transferring we are basically starting over at the guard position next year. Ingram played some so hopefully he keeps on developing. I think CAJ may have put a little pressure on himself with this situation because, as you say, if we lack production from the guards next year it's going to look bad on CAJ. Especially if one of the guards is CAJ's son..
Coleman struck me as electrifying because of his limitations - the "coming in on a wing and a prayer" point guard. Undersized, underrated and often undergunned - but not lacking an iota of tenacity and verve. Yes, he would've been a good situational player to have handy, but over the long haul the physicality thing, shortcomings if you will, would've been his undoing at 'Bama. Thinking he got an unexpected taste of stardom and penetrating success, and figured, pragmatically, that a Coleman @ Coleman replication probably wasn't in the cards under Avery.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Avery Johnson asked Coleman to look elsewhere... This is more on Coleman than the coach...
Kids want to play and there would not be enough playing time to spread around the guards. That and the fact is he simply can't get a shot off inside so defenders knew when he penetrated the lane, it likely wasn't to shoot. He would be a better fit at a mid major or Samford where he'd be a mismatch athletically.

I always thought Kessens would be the most likely to leave or transfer so this one didn't surprise me in the least. He gave us minutes, but for the most part that was all.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
WOW! I expected Kessons, in fact i just knew there would be no way he would be back. But Coleman is a surprise, wow! This is exactly what Saban did after his first year too!!! Hoping he has a plan in place. this isnt the kind of stuff Id like him to be learning on the job!

I didnt think of AJJr. Figuring yall raise a good point there.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Perhaps, just perhaps, this kid expected to start.

Kids want to play and there would not be enough playing time to spread around the guards. That and the fact is he simply can't get a shot off inside so defenders knew when he penetrated the lane, it likely wasn't to shoot. He would be a better fit at a mid major or Samford where he'd be a mismatch athletically.

I always thought Kessens would be the most likely to leave or transfer so this one didn't surprise me in the least. He gave us minutes, but for the most part that was all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.