Poll: Which win of the last two trips to Athens was the better?

Which victory in Athens was the best

• 2008 Blackout

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • 2015 Washout

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Pulling up Clay Travis's 'eulogy' for the dynasty got me thinking about the irony of winning in Athens. Many cite that we really began our run in 2008, many outsiders prophesied that the end would be in Athens after the Ole Miss loss, and now they say that it endured in 2015. Beating Georgia ranks next to beating Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Florida. And beating them there is just so sweet. But which of the two most recent wins there ranks higher?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Which win of the last two trips to Athens was the best?

I'd be hard pressed to say which was better. 2008 announced our return to prominence; 2015 announced our our intention to remain; each with unexpected authority and contrary to expert opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Re: Which win of the last two trips to Athens was the best?

2008. The return of ALABAMA football, when we KNEW we were Alabama again.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga

I'd be hard pressed to say which was better. 2008 announced our return to prominence; 2015 announced our our intention to remain; each with unexpected authority and contrary to expert opinion.

This is a great statement!!!
That said, I voted 2008. I used my bosses season tickets to go, and before the game I heard so much trash talk. I remember Julio having a great game!!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I agree. The Clemson win in 2008 was huge but they were faltering in the following weeks...we didn't really know if we were back insofar as competing in the SEC. That first half performance let everyone know that the Bama they beat up on for most of the decade was dead and a football machine had replaced it.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I still enjoy them both. The significance of each game comes from differing perspectives but both are equally important for the statements they made. 2008 I watched on tv and enjoyed the stunned/disbelieving faces of the UGA fans. 2015 I went to and watching practically the entire dawg nation empty out at halftime was special as well. Even the constant downpour couldn't spoil the revelry.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Maybe it's because I attended, but last year vs uga. Here's my thoughts...

1. Emergence of the freshmen. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ridley, etc. I felt like this was the first game where the world got its first real taste of the new kids on the block.

2. The defense found its identity; ....ed off. They were incredible that game and it was IMO one of their top performances of the season.

3. Unlike the 2008 game, Georgia never came back. The foot never came off the pedal.

4. This was the first game that we were an underdog in since.....?

5. To quote coach, "We were done, dead. Six feet under." according to the papers, pundits, and "experts." I've never seen so many look so stupid after a game. It was embarrassing quite frankly.

All these things make the 2015 my favorite game.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Maybe it's because I attended, but last year vs uga. Here's my thoughts...

1. Emergence of the freshmen. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ridley, etc. I felt like this was the first game where the world got its first real taste of the new kids on the block.

2. The defense found its identity; ....ed off. They were incredible that game and it was IMO one of their top performances of the season.

3. Unlike the 2008 game, Georgia never came back. The foot never came off the pedal.

4. This was the first game that we were an underdog in since.....?

5. To quote coach, "We were done, dead. Six feet under." according to the papers, pundits, and "experts." I've never seen so many look so stupid after a game. It was embarrassing quite frankly.

All these things make the 2015 my favorite game.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I tend to agree with this. Especially with #3. We never gave them one bit of life in the game.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
They were both pretty sweet. 08 was more emotional. The Blackout surprised the National media because of all the skill talent at UGA at the time (Stafford, Moreno, and Green). Georgia had a bunch of O-line injuries and I remember thinking the week of the 08 game that we were better on both lines of scrimmage, but I didn't see 31-skunk at halftime coming. I'm 35, and 08 was the first moment, besides maybe '93 or '94, that I can remember thinking "Alabama is probably the best team in college football" during the regular season.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I chose 2015, but it was really tough for reasons already mentioned. The tipping point for me was the fact that the team showed emphatically that they were not going to lay down after the Ole Miss loss. They really put it together at this game and it showed the rest of the year.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
I think `08 was better because it signaled that we might, indeed, finally be back after that lean decade between Coaches Stallings and Saban.

However, `15 is a personal favorite because I live in Athens now. The amount of trash talk I got leading up to the game, followed by the deafening silence about all things football since still warms my heart.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I vote for the blackout. The UGA fans actually expected to win that one; by 2015 they were "cautiously optimistic". 2008 crushed the confidence of their fanbase, and they've never really recovered.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I voted for 2015 because of the media favoring Georgia (the stats said otherwise so I expected us to win) and they fired their coach. But I could have voted for 2008 just as easily.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.