JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Spring Football: QB battle may follow familiar path
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 2nd, 2016 10:10 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 2, 2016 With Alabama’s first spring scrimmage in the books, the best way to evaluate the quarterback battle at this point is that everything old is new again. When Alabama said its goodbyes to Jake Coker following its win over Clemson in the National Championship Game in January, the […]

Read More Here

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wouldn't be shocked at all if Bateman or Cornwell wins the job, but it's a long way away and as you say, it will be settled in fall camp, not spring.

It is very encouraging to hear about the speed of the defense. As much as we improved on that front last year, we still had room to improve.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There was another thread recently concerning our QBs, too lazy to search. I recall some discussion about Bateman or Cornwell transferring if one of them were the "odd man out" after spring practice. This assumed Barnett and one of those two would move into fall camp as the two main QBs. Based on what has been written about the two spring scrimmages so far is that both Cornwell and Bateman appear to ahead of Barnett. Is Barnett the "odd man out" and does he transfer?

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA
This time last year all the talk was Alec Morris. He has the most time in the system, was the most steady and was liked by by the team.

​How many snaps did Alec get in the fall. I lost a lot with Bateman in loss to Ole Miss. He had the chance to run and did not. Coker took the job.

Maybe he learned from his mistakes...Maybe. He is the best holder for our kicker who by the way missed a bunch of attempts in scrimmage two.
Cornwell was the talk as well last year. He had the same ending as Morris. Maybe he learned. He does have the look and size.

Then Barnett. To read the internet he is the chosen one by Kiffin. But he has been atrocious so far in scrimmage. Hurts has a better package but
we all know Saban likes experience over youth.

Here is hoping either Bateman or Cornwell learned from their mistakes and can lead the team. My ultimate hope is Saban learned from his past
only using one QB and allows two maybe three to see the field when the game is on the line so next year we are not having this conversation.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There was another thread recently concerning our QBs, too lazy to search. I recall some discussion about Bateman or Cornwell transferring if one of them were the "odd man out" after spring practice. This assumed Barnett and one of those two would move into fall camp as the two main QBs. Based on what has been written about the two spring scrimmages so far is that both Cornwell and Bateman appear to ahead of Barnett. Is Barnett the "odd man out" and does he transfer?
Why would Barnett transfer when he still has 4 years of eligibility left? Bateman or Cornwell might, whichever doesn't win the job, because their eligibility is running out. Plus, if Barnett transfers somewhere he has to sit out a year. Transferring isn't a faster road for Barnett to get playing time..

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
This time last year all the talk was Alec Morris. He has the most time in the system, was the most steady and was liked by by the team.

​How many snaps did Alec get in the fall. I lost a lotwith Bateman in loss to Ole Miss. He had the chance to run and did not. Coker took the job.

Maybe he learned from his mistakes...Maybe. He is the best holder for our kicker who by the way missed a bunch of attempts in scrimmage two.
Cornwell was the talk as well last year. He had the same ending as Morris. Maybe he learned. He does have the look and size.

Then Barnett. To read the internet he is the chosen one by Kiffin. But he has been atrocious so far in scrimmage. Hurts has a better package but
we all know Saban likes experience over youth.

Here is hoping either Bateman or Cornwell learned from their mistakes and can lead the team. My ultimate hope is Saban learned from his past
only using one QB and allows two maybe three to see the field when the game is on the line so next year we are not having this conversation.

WHAAAT? You want someone who is admittedly not your best option at QB on the field with the game on the line???

Besides.... Saban has had really good success with first year starters. McElroy, McCarron, and Coker all won championships in their first year and Sims took us to the Playoffs.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Why would Barnett transfer when he still has 4 years of eligibility left? Bateman or Cornwell might, whichever doesn't win the job, because their eligibility is running out. Plus, if Barnett transfers somewhere he has to sit out a year. Transferring isn't a faster road for Barnett to get playing time..
I did not say he would transfer. IF Bateman wins the job this year and starts next year too then Barnett is down to two years and would be down to only one if Cornwell wins the job after Bateman graduates. I realize all of of this is just speculation, it depends on Barnett's mindset and obviously his willingness to wait.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I did not say he would transfer. IF Bateman wins the job this year and starts next year too then Barnett is down to two years and would be down to only one if Cornwell wins the job after Bateman graduates. I realize all of of this is just speculation, it depends on Barnett's mindset and obviously his willingness to wait.
If Barnett can't beat out Cornwell then he probably should transfer. As long as he can beat out Cornwell you would think Barnett would start his junior and senior years. Of course, that's not taking into account the unknown of how Jalen Hurts will develop. Like you said, just all speculation at this point. My only point was that if Barnett can beat out Cornwell then he isn't really saving a lot of time by transferring..

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't think he does. I talked to him 2 weeks ago, and he really seemed to understand he still had work to do, and was taking the long view.
Good deal. It seems what some of us think is the way we think the player feels or is going to do. Thank goodness all of our 4* and 5* players do not transfer after they do not get on the field in their first 2 or 3 years they are on campus. We could not field a team if they did. Most of our guys understand when they come to Bama they have to wait their turn before they get to play unless they are incredibly mature. All of them are talented.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
We really need a QB to take control of the position. All the pieces are in place to have an outstanding offense.

There. Straight to the point.:)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think he does. I talked to him 2 weeks ago, and he really seemed to understand he still had work to do, and was taking the long view.
That's cool. Now remind him of CNS's motto that it's ok for drives to end with a kick and when he starts protecting the ball he may zoom up the depth chart.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Sometimes you have to make mistakes in order to learn. What better place than, and why else have, spring practice. I do not know, or care, who wins the job. It has been my observation that Coach more often than not starts the guy that is the best leader. However, I will say this - it doesn't bother me that Barnett hasn't been flawless in spring drills to this point. At least he has the courage to attempt to make plays instead of worrying about being perfect. As previously stated, it is highly doubtful anyone wins the job in spring, more likely not until nearer the end of fall camp - that is the time to be playing your best ball. If Blake gets a better grip on his strengths/weaknesses during spring and is playing the best of the QBs in fall I have no doubt Saban would start him. Of course that can be said for all our quarterbacks. In the meantime, it is interesting to read all the speculation.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not having a proven, returning QB gives everyone pause for concern (including me), but it has been proven that CNS knows what he is doing. This should give us all a great sense of relief, but it is fun to discuss.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.