Troubling: How The U.S. Made Dropping Radioactive Bombs Routine

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Was just making the comment that it might not have been intentional, but I'd call it a key ingredient.
Ah, semantics. I would never consider a byproduct a "key" ingredient. On the contrary, it's a greatly undesirable one. People don't realize it, but other sources of dioxin include paper and pulp mills, municipal incinerators, cement kilns that burn chemical waste, and the manufacturing of some chlorinated pesticides. It's totally unintentional. I can't consider something which is not necessary to create something but which is an unavoidable byproduct as "key." (It has been eliminated from many processes, which would, I suppose, means no longer "key.") Sorry. Agree to disagree on this one...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
More on burn pits.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-...burn-pits-the-new-agent-orange_b_9322334.html

Prominent examples are pollution from the plutonium at Hanford used for the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, dioxin in the herbicides used in Vietnam, and polluted drinking water in Guam.

The Department of Veterans Affairs web site continues to state: “At this time, research does not show evidence of long-term health problems from exposure to burn pits.” Rather than develop a stronger information system, Congress dropped burn-pit research from its list of Department of Defense peer-reviewed medical programs for 2016. It will now be much harder to get evidence of the harmful effects. Veterans seeking disability for any service-related medical problems need to go through a lengthy process and their claims are handled “on an individual basis.” A backlog of several hundred thousand VA claims is not uncommon. Some ask: is this the new Agent Orange?
Of the hundreds of bases where there were burn pits, I spent a year at one of the 5 worst, several months at another bad one, and have had autoimmune problems ever since. Even though I was perfectly healthy before deployment and developed symptoms within weeks of arriving in theater each deployment, the autoimmune disease for which I was eventually medically retired for was deemed not related to military service. Because that box wasn't checked, I lose a couple hundred k assuming I live 20 more years. Cheaper to cover up than admit fault.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ah, semantics. I would never consider a byproduct a "key" ingredient. On the contrary, it's a greatly undesirable one. People don't realize it, but other sources of dioxin include paper and pulp mills, municipal incinerators, cement kilns that burn chemical waste, and the manufacturing of some chlorinated pesticides. It's totally unintentional. I can't consider something which is not necessary to create something but which is an unavoidable byproduct as "key." (It has been eliminated from many processes, which would, I suppose, means no longer "key.") Sorry. Agree to disagree on this one...
Fair enough. I was just saying I don't disagree with the author's use of it. No biggie either way, it truly is semantics in this case.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Fair enough. I was just saying I don't disagree with the author's use of it. No biggie either way, it truly is semantics in this case.
It's safe to assume that the ones suffering the effects of it couldn't care less how we define it. As I wrote earlier, they've managed to eliminate it entirely from many processes and some where it couldn't be eliminated (Agent Orange PCBs) have themselves been eliminated. However, I believe that as long as the process of chlorination is taking place, there will trace amounts of it....

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Saddam repeatedly violated the terms of the cease-fire agreement. Renewed hostilities were warranted based on that alone. The prospect of WMDs was the sugar to help the medicine go down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.