For the economists on the board. (Ben Stein opinion on changing trade agreements)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I wasn't necessarily talking about exports, just domestic manufacturing in general. I think most would agree that clean water and air is a good thing but there is a cost involved in doing it. I simply said that if a manufacturer is avoiding those costs by manufacturing in China (which has filthy air and water), we should put a tariff on those goods to eliminate the incentive of manufacturing in China - level the playing field. Nothing "completely nonsensical" about that.
No one is saying to pollute the air and water. Don't know where you got that out of "reduce unnecessary government regulations and taxes". The tariff only makes it more expensive for us to buy the things we want to buy. You fundamentally misunderstand the problem if you ignore exports or think this is the only market that matters.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
No one is saying to pollute the air and water. Don't know where you got that out of "reduce unnecessary government regulations and taxes". The tariff only makes it more expensive for us to buy the things we want to buy. You fundamentally misunderstand the problem if you ignore exports or think this is the only market that matters.
I never used the term "unnecessary", that was yours. Yes it will make imports a little more expensive but it will eliminate that part of the incentive to ship jobs overseas. IMO, a small price to pay.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I never used the term "unnecessary", that was yours. Yes it will make imports a little more expensive but it will eliminate that part of the incentive to ship jobs overseas. IMO, a small price to pay.
That's why I put quotation marks around "unnecessary" - I was quoting my self. Your "solution" (you didn't say that word) will do more harm than good all round.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
We'll make Europeans pay more for the Asian goods they buy!

Seriously, how are we going to increase exports this way? It makes zero sense. Would it not make more sense to reduce unnecessary government regulations and taxes to make our manufactured goods cheaper to sell (and buy) - and therefore more competitive - anywhere in the world? Your plan only makes all of us here in the states pay more for the goods we buy because our representatives in Congress are idiots. It neither makes goods cheaper to buy here nor makes them cheaper to sell elsewhere. It is completely nonsensical.
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth but most of the cost difference between US made goods and foreign made goods is the cost of adherence to regulations. A lot of these regulations are brought about by politicians standing on the moral or scientific high ground. For example the moratorium on coal, if we must not use it and other countries can we are massaging our sensibilities but not helping the ecology. The atmosphere is still getting the carbon dioxide. If we want to truly control the use of coal we can't only put our manufacturers out of the coal business we must make it too expensive for other countries who wish to import here. If as a government we wink at buying things produced with coal from foreign countries we are still guilty of what we were when everyone was working.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
One thing not being addressed here is the cost of doing business with the overly corrupt union bosses.
I'll give you an example: I was working at an auto plant in Columbia, Mo, and we supplied a Ford plant with axles. At this Ford plant there were two operators at each station. Both operators getting paid $40 per hr. One operator operates the station the full time with the exception of a bathroom break or lunch break. Then the other operator took over for those few times in the day. Both making the same amount of money but clearly not doing the same amount of work.
Another example: The Uniroyal/Goodrich plant in Tuscaloosa,Al. I was working for a communications company there and we were contracted to do some work at the plant. One of those jobs was to install a camera in the supply room because the plant was losing either $75k a month or quarter (I forget which but it was one of the two and the ain't is accurate). While we were running the wires and mounting the camera one of the supply room guys asked what we were doing and when we told him he flat out told us that it wasn't going to fly and they were going to take it to the union because they didn't want to get fired for horse playing. The union forced the plant to cover the camera between 7-3. A month or so later the workers went on strike for more money.
There are a lot of reasons for manufacturing jobs leaving this country but greed and corruption would have to be two of the higher reasons on the list.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.