Most Americans want to learn how to help those injured in disasters

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Interesting.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...se-injured-in-disasters/ar-BBrpg6C?li=BBnbfcL

My personal thought on this is, I think this is one of those last vestiges of American pride and self-sufficiency. It's dying out in the sense that so many people think the government should do this or that. However, in disasters, we seem to put differences aside whether they be political, socio-economic, racial, religious or even sports (Thanks again Auburn fans for coming to T-town after the tornado!).

Its one of those qualities that has made America great. (no Trumpism intended)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Interesting.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...se-injured-in-disasters/ar-BBrpg6C?li=BBnbfcL

My personal thought on this is, I think this is one of those last vestiges of American pride and self-sufficiency. It's dying out in the sense that so many people think the government should do this or that. However, in disasters, we seem to put differences aside whether they be political, socio-economic, racial, religious or even sports (Thanks again Auburn fans for coming to T-town after the tornado!).

Its one of those qualities that has made America great. (no Trumpism intended)
I hope it's not generational. Some would for sure, be content to video the event rather than try to help.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think one reason fewer people seem to know is obvious: used to everyone (men anyway) was subject to the military draft and you learned the basics in boot camp of how to do first aid (stop bleeding, control airway, tourniquet only if necessary). When you have only 7% of the nation having served in that capacity plus a few EMTs and medical folks.....

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think one reason fewer people seem to know is obvious: used to everyone (men anyway) was subject to the military draft and you learned the basics in boot camp of how to do first aid (stop bleeding, control airway, tourniquet only if necessary). When you have only 7% of the nation having served in that capacity plus a few EMTs and medical folks.....
When I worked at Shell, I was at a manufacturing facility and it was mandatory that we take first aid courses, fire fighting courses, etc. Your life and your co-workers lives may very well depend on your abilities. So, I've got that going for me. (to quote Bill Murray - Caddyshack)

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I learned CPR and first aid in Boy Scouts (mid '80s). School never brought any of that up. Public schools here are a joke. (They did spend a lot of time on HIV/AIDS and various STD's. That was early '90s.)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I learned CPR and first aid in Boy Scouts (mid '80s). School never brought any of that up. Public schools here are a joke. (They did spend a lot of time on HIV/AIDS and various STD's. That was early '90s.)
I learned it high school as well, and then repeated it several times at Shell. I need to take it again. I saw our fire department is offering a course in a couple of weeks. If I'm not umping that weekend, I may try and take it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.