SEC reallignment - Moving Season?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Couldn't one say something similar about Nebraska? That they were such a powerful program they didn't need help of any sort? Yet, we've seen their program get slowly starved off.

I truly believe the programs best able to weather any variety of circumstances are the ones that do not rely on other states. When it comes down to it, when things get a bit tough, a program can turn to in-state recruiting and their fans within the state. If they are a small state that produces a limited amount of recruits? Things can go bad very fast. Texas A&M is from, well Texas... so all they ever had to do was just tap into their own state, that seems easier to me than for instance if Alabama had to rely on Louisianan for success.
That's my line of thinking. Oklahoma isn't much different than Nebraska. Sure they can tap into Texas without bevo, but they will be playing a way harder schedule. Nebraska thought that their recruiting pipeline in Missouri would be enough to justify the move. Missouri is a better than average recruiting state as well. Being 5 or worst in a conference really makes those recruits think twice about joining your team

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That's my line of thinking. Oklahoma isn't much different than Nebraska. Sure they can tap into Texas without bevo, but they will be playing a way harder schedule. Nebraska thought that their recruiting pipeline in Missouri would be enough to justify the move. Missouri is a better than average recruiting state as well. Being 5 or worst in a conference really makes those recruits think twice about joining your team
Not just the toughness of the schedule, but the fact that you're not playing in the southwest anymore. You are playing at Minnesota, at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, etc. Yeah you get Nebraska back as a yearly rivalry game. You get to play Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State on a semi-regular basis. But not every year as they are in the other division. Unless you keep the Texas game, or some other game annually in the state, you'll rarely visit Texas anymore.

I think it's a change that brings a ton of assumptions and unknowns and I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk it if I were OU.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
Not just the toughness of the schedule, but the fact that you're not playing in the southwest anymore. You are playing at Minnesota, at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, etc. Yeah you get Nebraska back as a yearly rivalry game. You get to play Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State on a semi-regular basis. But not every year as they are in the other division. Unless you keep the Texas game, or some other game annually in the state, you'll rarely visit Texas anymore.

I think it's a change that brings a ton of assumptions and unknowns and I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk it if I were OU.
To be honest, I really do not know what OU President is thinking as far as where he wants OU to be if things do not work out in the BIG XII, which almost everyone thinks is doomed. With all his posturing, I would hope he has an "end game" to all of this. What that is exactly is unknown to me as I have tried every source I know of around Norman and come up empty handed. From a selfish point of view, I would hope that OU ends up in the SEC. I love the south, and as I near retirement, the thought of me traveling to away games in Tuscaloosa, Athens or Gainesville sure seems more attractive that trips to Lincoln, Iowa City, Bloomington or Columbus, especially in November. Spring sports in the B1G? Can't think of anything worse.

Roll Tide Roll.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
Even though it has not been addressed here, everyone on here does know that OU was invited along with A&M, that Mizzou only came in after OU declined? So all of the banter about population and TV sets did not overcome the OU football tradition. Today, I don't know what will happen but should know more this summer though. Will Texas, who's against expansion, and not on board with giving up the 15 Million a year ESPN given them for the LHN call OU's bluff, or does OU have a spot somewhere, which has given David Boren the bravado that he is showing? We will see.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Even though it has not been addressed here, everyone on here does know that OU was invited along with A&M, that Mizzou only came in after OU declined? So all of the banter about population and TV sets did not overcome the OU football tradition. Today, I don't know what will happen but should know more this summer though. Will Texas, who's against expansion, and not on board with giving up the 15 Million a year ESPN given them for the LHN call OU's bluff, or does OU have a spot somewhere, which has given David Boren the bravado that he is showing? We will see.
I think that was a massive mistake on OU's part (or did they decline partly because they had to take OK State with them?)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
First, I have to say this. The SEC really shouldn't go to a 9 game schedule until such a point in time that the SEC can insure the tougher schedule is not to their detriment. In other words until two SEC teams get into the playoff, or an SEC team with more losses than another major conference team gets in, just playing the toughest schedule now without making it tougher is more than enough. 9 conference games by all appearances would be to the detriment of the conference.

Having said that, swapping Missouri for Auburn makes the most sense. Auburn would get their panties all in a bunch though because Alabama makes them relevant. If they don't play Alabama every year what then? So basically I don't see things changing because Auburn needs Alabama and they know it.

The idea of moving Auburn AND Alabama though is really stupid. That doesn't balance things, it just makes things imbalanced on the other side. Not a lot of thought went into that idea.
Really??? Go over on AUFAMILY and read about that. Most of them **WANT** to be moved to the East and most of them didn't seem to care if they ever play Alabama again. AUDUB can verify that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Really??? Go over on AUFAMILY and read about that. Most of them **WANT** to be moved to the East and most of them didn't seem to care if they ever play Alabama again. AUDUB can verify that.
Alabama was forced into playing Auburn again, and I can assure you that it wasn't Alabama fans that forced that occurrence. Last time there was talk of cancelling the annual series, it came from Alabama from what I recall. Auburn might pretend it doesn't matter, but this is all you need to verify how they actually behave.

In 2013 Auburn beat Alabama and lost the title game. Which game did they talk about more? Did they talk about the lost chance to win a title or their victory over Alabama more? Which held the place of greater importance?

In 2014 Alabama beat Auburn and lost in the playoff game (not even the title game). Which game did Alabama fans talk about more? The loss to Ohio State or the victory over Auburn?

Actions speak louder than idle boasts in this case.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Aside from "the kick" and possibly "315" what victory over Auburn ranks in our top 10 wins of all time? Then flip the question around to how many iron bowl wins ranks in their top 10 and you get "Punt Bama Punt", "the first time ever","kick 6", "the Cam Back", and "Bo over the Top". They live to play us, and we exist to win titles.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Aside from "the kick" and possibly "315" what victory over Auburn ranks in our top 10 wins of all time? Then flip the question around to how many iron bowl wins ranks in their top 10 and you get "Punt Bama Punt", "the first time ever","kick 6", "the Cam Back", and "Bo over the Top". They live to play us, and we exist to win titles.
The beatdown in T-Town I & II in '08 and '12. The shootout in '14 or The Drive in '09. I get your point though...

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
I think that was a massive mistake on OU's part (or did they decline partly because they had to take OK State with them?)
You bet it was a mistake, and I think OU now knows it. As for as osu, I don't know really how much that was just an excuse to tell Slive or Boren didn't feel up to the Legislative battles likely to ensue. A lack of recognizing what the conference was becoming with the loss of some really fine schools/programs is most disappointing.

So Boren wakes up one day to see the BIG XII for what it is, a diminished, crippled conference trying desperately to regain some of the prestige of the early 2000's when the BIG XII South was thought by many as the toughest division in college football. But I do think that Boren wants OU to stay, assuming that the four things that he set out are done. I just don't see all four things getting done. UT not giving up the LHN, and is there really two programs out there that would enhance the conference, or would adding them just enhance the two schools?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For example, games I would rank ahead of all Iron Bowl wins (in no particular order):

1993 Sugar Bowl win over Miami
2009 BCS Championship over Texas
2011 BCS Championship over LSU
2012 BCS Championship over Notre Dame
2015 CFP Championship over Clemson
1992 SEC Championship over Florida
1999 SEC Championship over Florida
2009 SEC Championship over Florida
2012 SEC Championship over Georgia
2005 win vs. Florida at Bryant-Denny
1979 Sugar Bowl victory vs. Penn State
1971 win in LA vs. USC
1965 Orange Bowl win vs. Nebraska
1962 Sugar Bowl win vs. Arkansas
1946 Rose Bowl win vs. USC
1935 Rose Bowl win vs. Stanford
1931 Rose Bowl win vs. Washington State
1926 Rose Bowl win vs. Washington
1922 win vs. Penn at historic Franklin Field

But I digress.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You bet it was a mistake, and I think OU now knows it. As for as osu, I don't know really how much that was just an excuse to tell Slive or Boren didn't feel up to the Legislative battles likely to ensue. A lack of recognizing what the conference was becoming with the loss of some really fine schools/programs is most disappointing.

So Boren wakes up one day to see the BIG XII for what it is, a diminished, crippled conference trying desperately to regain some of the prestige of the early 2000's when the BIG XII South was thought by many as the toughest division in college football. But I do think that Boren wants OU to stay, assuming that the four things that he set out are done. I just don't see all four things getting done. UT not giving up the LHN, and is there really two programs out there that would enhance the conference, or would adding them just enhance the two schools?
I think of all schools not currently in a Power 5 conference, only BYU adds value to the Big 12. No one else does. There are plenty of mid majors, if provided the prestige of being in a power conference, that might grow into value adding institutions. Cincinnati. UCF. Memphis. But none are guaranteed and all are gambles. It's going to come down to just what you said. Texas is going to call Boren's bluff. And at that point, we'll find out if OU has a path out of the conference or if this all was, indeed, just a bluff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The beatdown in T-Town I & II in '08 and '12. The shootout in '14 or The Drive in '09. I get your point though...
2012 UGA
1994 UGA
1979 PSU
2016 Clemson
1977 USC
1992 UF
1966 Tennessee
1966 Nebraska
1993 Miami

All of them probably rank than practically all iron bowl victories we have had other than "315" and "the kick"

From 1907 to 1948 auburn had the series lead during the hiatus of the game, but went into a dumpster fire while Alabama claimed numerous national titles. I can't think of one of the top 5 auburn greatest wins of all time that is not Alabama or UGA. So we really don't need it as bad as them.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The 2008 win over AU not only ended their 6 game streak but it was also Bama's first win against them in Tuscaloosa. That has to rank high up there. Brownie points for it being s shutout.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The 2008 win over AU not only ended their 6 game streak but it was also Bama's first win against them in Tuscaloosa. That has to rank high up there. Brownie points for it being s shutout.
It was big for us in a rivalry sense but like the 2002 Tennessee game it's just an end to a long frustration for a set period of time. But all time it won't be remembered like our national championships or most memorable games.

Fwiw it was probably my favorite because we put auburn on notice for what's to come.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
I think of all schools not currently in a Power 5 conference, only BYU adds value to the Big 12. No one else does. There are plenty of mid majors, if provided the prestige of being in a power conference, that might grow into value adding institutions. Cincinnati. UCF. Memphis. But none are guaranteed and all are gambles. It's going to come down to just what you said. Texas is going to call Boren's bluff. And at that point, we'll find out if OU has a path out of the conference or if this all was, indeed, just a bluff.
Yep, you are correct. As to BYU, with their no sports on Sunday dictum, and from what I hear, harder to get along with than the University of Texas, plus expanding the geographical girth of the conference from West Virginia to Utah, I don't know. Pickings are slim.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The beatdown in T-Town I & II in '08 and '12.
That was the game where people left in like the third quarter and the stadium was never even full right? To me that kind of summed the whole thing up. Everyone knew an Auburn beat down was coming, not everyone even bothered to show up for it if that tells you anything.

Mind you, I'm not saying that the series is absolutely meaningless. Of course it has meaning, it's a late season SEC game. I'm just saying it means a heck of a lot more for Auburn.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.