The Boss cancels a North Carolina Show

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Good on ya Bruce.

http://6abc.com/entertainment/bruce...cert-due-to-religious-objections-law/1282914/

As you, my fans, know I'm scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the "bathroom" law. HB2 - known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act - dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it's an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress. Right now, there are many groups, businesses, and individuals in North Carolina working to oppose and overcome these negative developments. Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th. Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry - which is happening as I write - is one of them. It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's Sunday April 10th show is canceled. Tickets will be refunded at point of purchase.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Never liked Springsteen because of things like "Born in the USA". But I'm divided on the North Carolina issue. But I wish Springsteen would go to Vietnam or Russia for a year before complaining about how bad we are. Atleast CCR actually had a point with their criticism of how the class structure was different in Vietnam and not calling basically calling all Working class Americans warmongers. I have no respect for Bruce, so to heck with him.
Again I'm divided on the bathroom thing, because I've seen stuff on both sides that I can agree with.

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Springsteen sucks. His absence from the Carolinas will not be missed. More than likely he's cancelling the show due to lack of ticket sales.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So Bruce thinks doing a show in a state that just passed a discriminatory law somehow constitutes endorsement of the law......and he doesn't see the irony of that? I mean, business after business doing this.......doesn't see the irony?

"We're not going to Mississippi or North Carolina because they passed these new laws."

When do you think the last time ANY of the states banning business travel to those states ever set foot in Mississippi? Try pretty much never - I'll bet most of their state house reps couldn't find Mississippi on a map. NC is different with the growth in Charlotte over the last forty years but really.

How many of these same businesses are insisting their gas stations NOT import oil from Islamic nations who, you know, actually still KILL gay people?

Look - 99.9% of this law is stupid, vague, and going to be overturned anyway (although again in the irony department, it's amusing to watch the same people who used the words 'marriage equality' to sell what was REALLY 'gay marriage' now complain that 'religious freedom' is something else, namely, 'discrimination').

Incidentally, just last night a gay friend of mine for going on thirty years posted a meme about how ridiculous it is for Christian bakers to somehow think baking a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding means you're endorsing it, finishing with the line that gun manufacturers are NOT to blame for someone killing someone else.

And yet he's a Democrat.

Dem bill would let shooting victims sue gun makers, dealers

But I'm all for the free market. Bruce probably ought to consider the simple notion that just because people listen to your pathetic music doesn't mean they agree with your politics or even care about this in the larger sense. But entertainers are not ones to let opportunities for phony umbrage pass by without actually showing.....phony umbrage.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So people scheduled to work the concert lose money even if they strongly oppose the bill. He is probably still on the hook for renting the arena so the government doesn't lose anything.

Will the ticket refunds include fees to ticketmaster?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
People supporting a person's right to deny service to someone condemning a person for denying service to someone.

Interesting.
Who's condemning Bruce for not doing the show? I think most are just not Bruce fans because of what he has done in the past and his music just generally sucks to most. I could care less if he skips NC, MS, or Antarctica for that matter. I just don't like his music.

With that said... If he really believes that protesting against NC and MS then good for him. I'm not judging him using his human right to form an opinion. I'm judging him based on his music.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
But I wish Springsteen would go to Vietnam or Russia for a year before complaining about how bad we are.
In general, I don't really consider the "at least we're not as socially backwards as Russia or ISIS" arguments to be very compelling.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Southern States stand up against liberal demands. Liberals boycott and stay away from Southern States. Looks like a win-win to me. Perhaps the start of a whole new progressive movement.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Ironically, due to the long lines for the ladies' room by comparison, the men's room becomes a compelling alternative for anyone who has had enough to drink.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In general, I don't really consider the "at least we're not as socially backwards as Russia or ISIS" arguments to be very compelling.
Then go become a Russian citizen and see which lifestyle is better, and how much social equality. Heritage finds us as the 11th most free country in the world with a 74.4% rating and finds Russia at 153 with a whopping score of 50.6. Putin is for all intent and purposes an autocrat disguising his government as a republic. I don't know many who would trade their US citizenship to be Russians.
http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking
Corruption is pervasive. Small elites control the bulk of the nation’s assets, and state institutions have been corroded. The main purpose of frequent anti-corruption campaigns is to ensure elite loyalty and hamper political opponents. The rule of law is not maintained uniformly across the country, and the judiciary is vulnerable to political pressure and inconsistent in applying the law. Protection of private property rights is weak.
I wasn't talking about Springsteen standing up for LGBTs, frankly I find no fault in it if that is his real opinion. My biggest issue is that Springsteen has went around taking everyone's real gripes and complaints about the actual issues, and has profited off of them. It just comes off as "Dude, where were you when the issue was really tense?". Take CCR for example. Fogerty actually brought up a valid point during the actual time of the draft about how nationalistic media was ignoring the fact that all the rich kids and politicians kids weren't the ones getting drafted and going to war. They were not attacking the US populace as a whole and labeling them warmongers, they were attacking the rich and the people in politics. Then take Bruce's "Born in the USA", He almost steps into saying it is a burden and a darn shame of being born in this land of war mongers and veteran haters, but he doesn't mention once in that song about how some of the Vets being treated by the anti war protesters. And its amazing that Eddie vedder has the guts to release a anti war protest song about Desert Storm, Panama, and Somalia in 1992 while "The Boss" takes 12 years to post his.

My point is that Bruce Springsteen comes off as more of a wannabe activist that uses people's real issues to profit and make himself relevant. He just comes off as phony. Because where was he when the AIDS crisis, or how about the DADT repeal. It just seems good ole Bruce seems to jump on an issue when it is popular and profitable. In other words I find Bruce "a summer time soldier and sunshine patriot."

Now I cant see into Bruce's true heart or mind, so there is no way in truly knowing. Its like me believing Jane Fonda is truly sorry about her stunt in Vietnam. I hope they are really behind what they have recently said, but trusting that they aren't using it as another PR stunt is kinda hard for me. JIMO

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Bruce's "Glory Days" are about over so I suspect any publicity is good publicity.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Never been a fan of Bruce, or Stevie, though I did love him on the Soprano's

but I can't dislike what they are doing. Very well put

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.