Link: *** 2017 4* LB VanDarius Cowan Flips to Alabama from FSU ***

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Very immature move from VanDarius. Not knowing all the facts, it appears he put himself before the team and acted childishly. I hope he learns from it and grows from it. I certainly want him in this class since he is an elite player. Eyeshade - I think you are right that Coach is going to have a harsh learning experience conversation with him

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have no idea what the mitigating or aggravating circumstances are. But a star of this magnitude getting booted from his high school team is at the very best not a good look.

At worst, it's an indication of exceedingly bad decision-making and immaturity wholly inconsistent with success in The Process.

Probably best for both him and the Alabama team, I'm sure the leash just got shortened.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
My impression in reading the article is that his team with the loss is done for the season. If so, it makes it kind of easy for his coach to boot him from the team. Maybe both he and his coach acted immaturely.
this...the season is over. the coach did it to make himself look bold. i do not condone stupid, selfish penalties, but the coach sounds like he does not have a firm grip on things.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea why a coach would do something like this so publicly except to bring attention to himself or to try to destroy the reputation of the player. Cowan may have deserved this punishment based on things that we do not know, but to do so publicly after the season is effectively over, hurts everyone while helping no one.

Ask yourself - would you want your son playing for this guy? If Cowan was a really bad apple, he let him stay on the team in spite of that just to win games, only cutting him loose (using this lame excuse) when the season was over. If Cowan really wasn't a bad apple, what the heck just happened? You don't kick players off of a team for that. You discipline them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have no idea why a coach would do something like this so publicly except to bring attention to himself or to try to destroy the reputation of the player. Cowan may have deserved this punishment based on things that we do not know, but to do so publicly after the season is effectively over, hurts everyone while helping no one.

Ask yourself - would you want your son playing for this guy? If Cowan was a really bad apple, he let him stay on the team in spite of that just to win games, only cutting him loose (using this lame excuse) when the season was over. If Cowan really wasn't a bad apple, what the heck just happened? You don't kick players off of a team for that. You discipline them.
I feel the same way. He got 2 penalties and was eating on the sideline. That alone doesn't equate to being kicked off the team. Unless there's something else that happened that we don't know then it's a bad look for Cowan but a worse look for the coach..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I feel the same way. He got 2 penalties and was eating on the sideline. That alone doesn't equate to being kicked off the team. Unless there's something else that happened that we don't know then it's a bad look for Cowan but a worse look for the coach..
If my child were to display this sorta behavior the coach wouldn't be his main concern. I'm in the "Last Straw" corner here. Unacceptable behavior from a senior. You rally your team mates in this scenario if you're a leader. You don't disengage.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If my child were to display this sorta behavior the coach wouldn't be his main concern. I'm in the "Last Straw" corner here. Unacceptable behavior from a senior. You rally your team mates in this scenario if you're a leader. You don't disengage.
I agree discipline is warranted but kicking him off the team seems over the top. I said "seems" because we don't know what else may have happened in private. I will say that Cowan will need to have a serious attitude adjustment if he's going to be successful in Tuscaloosa..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The coach kicked him off the team when the season was over. This means he can't compete in the Army All-American game. If there's not more to this story, this coach should be ashamed.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
The Wellington game was televised locally and Cowan was seen on TV eating a hot dog while chatting with fans. This while the game was played. There must have been some embarrassment for the coach and school. Even so, dismissal from the team seems a bit much.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Am I missing something here?

The coach sat the kid in the second quarter of a tight game. The season was over because they lost that game.

I will reserve judgment until more information comes out, as I am sure Saban is doing...:cool2:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I agree discipline is warranted but kicking him off the team seems over the top. I said "seems" because we don't know what else may have happened in private. I will say that Cowan will need to have a serious attitude adjustment if he's going to be successful in Tuscaloosa..
The word "DIVA" comes to mind. Not implying he's a "Terrell Owen" type but some kids just don't handle the attention and notoriety as well as others. Hopefully he can learn from all this and move forward with a better attitude regardless of where he ends up.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Was Cowan in the wrong for what he did? Yes.

Did that make it right for the coach to blow it out of proportion by making things so public? No.

You handle things internally, and you move on. You don't try to hurt a kids future, which seems like the case, because you were frustrated with him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
Was Cowan in the wrong for what he did? Yes.

Did that make it right for the coach to blow it out of proportion by making things so public? No.

You handle things internally, and you move on. You don't try to hurt a kids future, which seems like the case, because you were frustrated with him.

Smoke=Fire.
Ok, this is from the guy who happily took Arky plus 9.5 last week. I'm betting he will not be part of the 2017 Bama class. The Process has no room for drama queens and prima donnas.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Smoke=Fire.
Ok, this is from the guy who happily took Arky plus 9.5 last week. I'm betting he will not be part of the 2017 Bama class. The Process has no room for drama queens and prima donnas.
You didn't follow Reuben Foster's recruiting closely did you?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Smoke=Fire.
You are wrong IMO. TI is reporting he had his official this past Saturday and he is solid to Bama. Making a judgment on a kid for one incident is a little premature. VanDarius has been our leading recruiter among players and came up with "Savages" phrase for this class. Most kids Bama recruit nowadays are prima donnas and they quickly get that stripped away the second they arrive on campus.

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
You didn't follow Reuben Foster's recruiting closely did you?

Actually, I did, Right along with Dee Liner's.
I do not recall ever having heard of an antic like this one.
And, while I hope I'm wrong, I've just got a bad feeling about this one...just like my good feeling about Hogs vs. Barn last week.
Just an opinion....

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
R-E-L-A-X. Mr. Cowan, Alabama, we, and the sky will be fine.

Actually, I did, Right along with Dee Liner's.
I do not recall ever having heard of an antic like this one.
And, while I hope I'm wrong, I've just got a bad feeling about this one...just like my good feeling about Hogs vs. Barn last week.
Just an opinion....

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Smoke=Fire.
I sure hope he is part of this class!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.