Just a little pet peeve of mind I need to get off my chest for today.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A school group seeks sponsorships from a liquor store?
It's one of those where if little johnny reads "x" amount of books during the summer or some period of time you "sponsor" him for like $10/book or something like that. For the record he doesn't own a liquor store per se. It is a local convenient store that has wine, beer and sells liquor in a separate extension from the store.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The HS my oldest is in, has these coupon cards the football players are required to sell a certain amount of. If they do not sell the required amount, then they are required to do enough running so that they would rather be dead. Frankly, I live in a rural area. Not many kids going to go door to door. So church is a common place to sell, but many end up going to the same church so that doesn't exactly work.

I would like to add the way the schools punish the kids who don't do the fundraisers. I don't allow my kids to do the fundraisers because I don't want my family, friends or neighbors to feel obligated to overpay for stuff they don't want anyway when most of the money goes to the company. That's my reason, but there are many poor kids around here whose families cannot afford to participate. The schools then have days where they throw a party for all the kids who sold "enough" and give them prizes. That irritates me, but I understand. What really really ticks me off is that they punish the others by having them do extra work and take tests during this party. :mad::mad:

I check my kids out for this public shaming exercise, but I can't help the other poor kids. I see it as discrimination against the poor kids and it makes me mad. They have it hard enough as it is. :rant:

Thanks BB, I needed that :)

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Funny story regarding "the fundraiser". This happened many moons ago when I was a kid. Was sitting in the barber shop and someone came in hocking Krispy Kreme donuts. I think at that time, it was one of the few fundraisers you could actually pull off. Anyway, the barber pointed at a box of donuts on the top shelf behind him. They said 'Ok' and left. Once the door closed, he started laughing and told that he had been hit up so many times (he was on the main street through town) that he bought a box and never ate one of them. Now he just points at the box and they move on. He picked up the box and rattled it and it sounded like the donuts had petrified in it they were so hard.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
The HS my oldest is in, has these coupon cards the football players are required to sell a certain amount of. If they do not sell the required amount, then they are required to do enough running so that they would rather be dead. Frankly, I live in a rural area. Not many kids going to go door to door. So church is a common place to sell, but many end up going to the same church so that doesn't exactly work.
We have to sell those cards (diff area/sponsors) and if we don't sell the required allotment...we gotta buy them. I'll have 2 in the system next year, so that means 30 for us. People see me coming...they turn and RUN!

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Maybe it's me, but if the school/church/whatever can't afford an activity, perhaps they shouldn't have it.

I'll dig deeper. Quite a number of fiscal conservatives on this board complain ad nauseum about our government's penchant for looking for more revenue instead of cutting projects and living within its means. Is it any different for a school or church to spend beyond it's projected income? Begging may not be as coercive as raising taxes, but it is equally a sign of fiscal policy failure.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Maybe it's me, but if the school/church/whatever can't afford an activity, perhaps they shouldn't have it.

I'll dig deeper. Quite a number of fiscal conservatives on this board complain ad nauseum about our government's penchant for looking for more revenue instead of cutting projects and living within its means. Is it any different for a school or church to spend beyond it's projected income? Begging may not be as coercive as raising taxes, but it is equally a sign of fiscal policy failure.
There is also the concept of paying only for the services you consume. So, it's a credit to the programs that exist due to the efforts of their participants to provide necessary funding.

Regarding government programs and those that are typically on the conservative chopping block, I'm pretty sure most conservatives would be fans of such programs if they existed largely due to voluntary fundraising activities instead of taxation/confiscation.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
We disagree. Fair enough.
It really depends on what you mean by panhandling. Are any of the following considered panhandling:

Tide Pride?
Concessions at BDS?
Sale of spirit wear?

All three of these have their equivalents at local primary and secondary schools and are used to fund extracurricular activities.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
It really depends on what you mean by panhandling. Are any of the following considered panhandling:

Tide Pride?
Concessions at BDS?
Sale of spirit wear?

All three of these have their equivalents at local primary and secondary schools.
I knew I could count on you for an interesting debate.

Solicitation which relies entirely on social pressure (e.g. - Buy this pie for $30, mister (as you exit Wal-Mart), it's for the kids/church) can be differentiated from fundraising sales which are voluntary/low pressure (e.g. - concessions, car washes), especially if they offer a reasonable value. I find the former reprehensible. The latter I do not find objectionable.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I agree with your sentiment bamachile. Unfortunately fund raising and the need for additional money is an imperative here in the Madison County School System. Extra curricular activities are not fully funded by the school. When my son played sports in High School, the team was required to pay for the bus and the driver that carried them to the games. Meals at away games were not provided by the school but paid for by the booster club. Field maintenance -grass, seed fertilizer, striping paint etc was not furnished by the school. Team camps etc were paid for by the team not the school.

I suppose each parent could have paid an assessment to provide these funds but it doesn't hurt a player to work car washes, pancake breakfasts, etc to contribute toward their own activities.

In addition there were always some young people who wanted to play but whose family simply could not afford to pay. We were glad to help them out. Especially if they could run fast or dunk.:wink:

We tried to avoid direct sales if possible. A car wash at a busy Walmart might net $1000 one Saturday. Walmart usually matched part of that.

I know the down side of sales. In the rec league there might be 600 baseball players all trying to sell the same stuff to the same people.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I knew I could count on you for an interesting debate.

Solicitation which relies entirely on social pressure (e.g. - Buy this pie for $30, mister (as you exit Wal-Mart), it's for the kids/church) can be differentiated from fundraising sales which are voluntary/low pressure (e.g. - concessions, car washes), especially if they offer a reasonable value. I find the former reprehensible. The latter I do not find objectionable.
I agree. Personally, I don't like to sell stuff (door-to-door or other form of accosting people), and I personally don't like to be accosted at home or when I'm out and about. The main school organization that my family supports has some of this type of fundraising activity, but my family doesn't participate. However, I will note that a portion of these sales go into individual student accounts based on their individual sales (i.e. individual work effort) so an individual can earn money to defray trip costs. My family just chooses to fund such trips out of our own pocket instead of selling stuff to make the money. There is something admirable about those who work hard to fund their own extracurricular activities.

We have other activities like "organization night" at a local restaurant or other establishment for which a portion of the proceeds are given to the school organization. This type of activity is fine with me.

Also, we have representatives that solicit local businesses for donations. While I don't like asking people for money personally, I find this type of activity to be acceptable as well since many businesses already budget charitable donations and/or marketing dollars to support nonprofit community organizations. All one has to do is ask.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I forgot "sign sales" . Advertising signs paid for by businesses. In the gym. On the field. Big source of revenue.

1986 one large electrical supply house gave our soccer team $2000. Nice!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.