Just a little pet peeve of mind I need to get off my chest for today.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Maybe it's me, but if the school/church/whatever can't afford an activity, perhaps they shouldn't have it.

I'll dig deeper. Quite a number of fiscal conservatives on this board complain ad nauseum about our government's penchant for looking for more revenue instead of cutting projects and living within its means. Is it any different for a school or church to spend beyond it's projected income? Begging may not be as coercive as raising taxes, but it is equally a sign of fiscal policy failure.
The reality is that schools systems (that's where I've worked and currently working in) are also in the positive perception game. If School A is able to send students to state/national competitions, or out of the country (like London's New Year's Day parade), then School B is immediately tagged with a reputation that they are not willing help their students the same way as School A. It may be unfair and untrue. Schools also make some hiring decisions based on if a teacher/coach can bring in the type of bigger exposure they're looking for.

I hate fundraising with a passion, and I do not hit my friends or family about it. I am looking to do the sponsorship route, and I personally will help out those businesses back since they're helping out my program. Chelsea HS has a way of thanking their school sponsors by telling everyone to go to those business to buy their products. That's another way to get the name out there.

I do understand what you're saying, and in theory, I agree. But the reality of how it's implemented and carried out requires a different solution.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The reality is that schools systems (that's where I've worked and currently working in) are also in the positive perception game. If School A is able to send students to state/national competitions, or out of the country (like London's New Year's Day parade), then School B is immediately tagged with a reputation that they are not willing help their students the same way as School A. It may be unfair and untrue. Schools also make some hiring decisions based on if a teacher/coach can bring in the type of bigger exposure they're looking for.

I hate fundraising with a passion, and I do not hit my friends or family about it. I am looking to do the sponsorship route, and I personally will help out those businesses back since they're helping out my program. Chelsea HS has a way of thanking their school sponsors by telling everyone to go to those business to buy their products. That's another way to get the name out there.

I do understand what you're saying, and in theory, I agree. But the reality of how it's implemented and carried out requires a different solution.
That's what our schools do. They'll partner with a restaurant and it be XYZ High School's project grad or something like that. If you go to that restaurant and say you are there for XYZ High School's Project Grad, they donate 10% of the sales that night.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
irrespective of
at the end of the day
put this one to bed
back of the envelope
I worked at a co. a few years ago that had a lot of corporate speak raining down on us from the hipsters upper Midwest educated MBA's in Minneapolis. A couple I recall fondly:

- "across the enterprise" My 60 something year old boss latched on to this one and repeated it ad infinitum every chance he got. Me and the rest of the good ol' North Carolina boys just laughed under our breath, smirked in meetings - stuff like that.

- "place that one in the parking lot." Another one that elicited laughter among us in a teleconference. A comment was made slightly off topic and the leader of the call said "we need to place that in the parking lot." Never heard that one before or since.

- "Best Practices." I actually hear this one a lot, and usually the companies that preach it the loudest are the ones that are most chaotic, disorganized and incompetent.

It is what it is. ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I worked at a co. a few years ago that had a lot of corporate speak raining down on us from the hipsters upper Midwest educated MBA's in Minneapolis. A couple I recall fondly:

- "across the enterprise" My 60 something year old boss latched on to this one and repeated it ad infinitum every chance he got. Me and the rest of the good ol' North Carolina boys just laughed under our breath, smirked in meetings - stuff like that.

- "place that one in the parking lot." Another one that elicited laughter among us in a teleconference. A comment was made slightly off topic and the leader of the call said "we need to place that in the parking lot." Never heard that one before or since.

- "Best Practices." I actually hear this one a lot, and usually the companies that preach it the loudest are the ones that are most chaotic, disorganized and incompetent.

It is what it is. ;)

did the good ol' north carolina boys laugh at you for using ad infinitum?

i have seen meeting "facilitators" use the parking lot thing before. they had a separate easel set up that they used for that purpose. it was pretty horrible

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

So who mans up and tells the school system no?

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
So who mans up and tells the school system no?
I'm not really sure. Ideally, since the school boards are elected, the people voting put those that want to see education thrive in their district but also will equip the administrators and teachers with everything. That would be my response at least.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'm not really sure. Ideally, since the school boards are elected, the people voting put those that want to see education thrive in their district but also will equip the administrators and teachers with everything. That would be my response at least.
Ideally, since the school boards are elected, the people voting put those that want to see education thrive in their district but also will equip the administrators and teachers with everything necessary, and require them to perform within those parameters
With a few subtle changes, your response and mine. We're not far off.

tidegrandpa

All-American

It is what it is. ;)
Amen.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Since we're on the corporate pet peeve side of things here's one of mine. The dude who is the poster child of "company man" who is ALWAYS "taking up" for the company no matter what they do. The guy who's sold his soul to the company and is sensitive to anything said that doesn't paint the company in the best of lights. Nothing wrong with being a "good employee" but you know "that guy" I'm talking about. LOL!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Since we're on the corporate pet peeve side of things here's one of mine. The dude who is the poster child of "company man" who is ALWAYS "taking up" for the company no matter what they do. The guy who's sold his soul to the company and is sensitive to anything said that doesn't paint the company in the best of lights. Nothing wrong with being a "good employee" but you know "that guy" I'm talking about. LOL!
Yeah...easy to spot....brown coloration of the nose.... ;)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

It is what it is. ;)
"Best practices" and "organic growth" are really irritating phrases. Not heard too much these days but one thrown a lot, "synergy".

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
All of the candidates have had to do it, but he seems to have made an art form. Problem is, it doesn't seem to bother any of his true believers... ;)
Editing my answer...

I know. He has a cult following.

But I would guess many of those support him because they are so disgusted with Washington. They are willing to overlook whatever negative qualities he has because even so....it's better than the alternative.

Sorry - should be in the Trump thread so I'll stop.....don't want to have to walk it back... :)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Editing my answer...

I know. He has a cult following.

But I would guess many of those support him because they are so disgusted with Washington. They are willing to overlook whatever negative qualities he has because even so....it's better than the alternative.

Sorry - should be in the Trump thread so I'll stop.....don't want to have to walk it back... :)
We've never been big on inhibiting "thread drift," so long as everyone is still interesting. I think that a lot of Trump's appeal is, as you say, "anything's better than the status quo." I'll agree that there are a lot of things wrong and which could be better. However, I've been dirt poor, so I know how it feels. I'm not rich, by any means, but I'm not dirt poor, and I'm old, so I know that things could be a lot worse. A Trump, blundering around like a bull in a china shop, really could make things worse - much, much worse. He's a gamble I'm not willing make, is what it comes down to...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
OK getting back to the pet peeves.......here's another......

People who leave voice mails and instead of going into "any" detail of the purpose of the call....they just say "call me".

1) I don't like phones in the first place. I actually prefer email and have actively integrated using email into my business plan, but of course there are occasions where I still get phone calls

2) I have intentionally left the voice mail settings where a caller is never shut off after "x" number of minutes....so they are free to leave as lengthy a message as necessary...yet there are those (alas my pet peeve) who don't...they just say "call me".

3) Then when I call them back....I get THEIR voice mail (thus begins phone tag).

Led Zeppelin said it best...."Communication Breakdown"....:rolleyes:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
This doesn't happen as much as it used to thank The Lord. I've worked in offices where someone would leave a piece of paper not on my desk but, if I were out for a few minutes, ON MY CHAIR. One particular offender got very irritated when she came in my office and asked for the document. "I put it on your chair!" I stood up and to our surprise there it was all crumpled. That didn't happen again from that person.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.