Just a little pet peeve of mind I need to get off my chest for today.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Except some of the younger folks will text or email about family news, when i would prefer a personal call. My cousins emailed the death of their mother, (my aunt) in Scottsdale, I informed them when I go I hope my kids have decency of phone call.
I think CA would agree the death of a family member doesn't fit what he was referencing.

With my work, we take numerous requests for research and/or copies of documents. One particular person knows our e-mail address and knows our procedure of doing things, yet she insists on calling to verify if she can make the request and if she e-mailed to us if we'll get it or not.

For us, e-mail is much easier than talking to someone on the phone for a few reasons - we have their contact information and we don't have to worry about trying to decipher and write what they said.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I think CA would agree the death of a family member doesn't fit what he was referencing.

With my work, we take numerous requests for research and/or copies of documents. One particular person knows our e-mail address and knows our procedure of doing things, yet she insists on calling to verify if she can make the request and if she e-mailed to us if we'll get it or not.

For us, e-mail is much easier than talking to someone on the phone for a few reasons - we have their contact information and we don't have to worry about trying to decipher and write what they said.
I get the business use, and yes I appreciate it somewhat, however in our organization duplicates can be a problem, the corporals repeating what the majors have already communicated. But the younger bunch bring their business habits home with them a lot of the time is my point.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In spite of the continual media bombardment about texting and driving, while traveling this past weekend I had three drivers pass me on the interstate who were texting. My comment to my wife was "where in the hell are the state troopers when they are needed?" They need to spend more time chasing down texters rather than drivers going 80 when the speed limit is 70.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are some things that simply take too long to text and somethings that are just too short and concise for a phone call. I've found email is becoming an avenue of communication that many people don't use like they used too. Many of my friends do not even check their email anymore due to text messaging and the amount of SPAM that normally hits email accounts.
Few things are more irritating than to get something a person should have used a page to email and tried to compress with contractions into a two-sentence text. You end up calling or emailing and saying "What on earth were you trying to say, anyway?" Also, I can hammer out an email at five times the speed I can text it with only my thumbs...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
In spite of the continual media bombardment about texting and driving, while traveling this past weekend I had three drivers pass me on the interstate who were texting. My comment to my wife was "where in the hell are the state troopers when they are needed?" They need to spend more time chasing down texters rather than drivers going 80 when the speed limit is 70.
Alabama texting law difficult to enforce:

http://m.waaytv.com/appnews/police-...cle_a2a8a73c-dfba-11e4-a912-07c9d5ee3cf2.html

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
As averse as I am to more laws, I have no problem with laws requiring hands-free use of cell phones while driving. That essentially eliminates the texting loophole - if it's in your hand, you get a ticket.
A cell phone is only one source of distracted driving. I'm not terribly interested in making criminals out of people who haven't harmed others. If, however, cell phone usage is outlawed, all forms of distracted driving should be outlawed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As averse as I am to more laws, I have no problem with laws requiring hands-free use of cell phones while driving. That essentially eliminates the texting loophole - if it's in your hand, you get a ticket.
Unfortunately LEO are exempt of the law. I've seen numerous using their phones. Talked to a Montgomery cop about it, and he said they don't have to have hands free devices.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A cell phone is only one source of distracted driving. I'm not terribly interested in making criminals out of people who haven't harmed others. If, however, cell phone usage is outlawed, all forms of distracted driving should be outlawed.
they can have my nose when they pry it from my cold dead fingers

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Assuming equal or greater danger, I'm good with that.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Assuming equal or greater danger, I'm good with that.
For example, I had someone run into me because he had food in his car that spilled as he made a turn. He was distracted by the spill and rear-ended my vehicle. Pretty much having anything in your car, including passengers, is a source of distraction.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
On the subject of distracted driving....

......if cops would just keep a look out for crappy drivers - distracted ones included...no matter what the distraction....pull 'em over...administer appropriate justice......none of this would be as big an issue.

I had a cop tell me he can't pull over a driver unless he's going to issue a citation. I said.....well who is in charge of highway safety if you aren't?

Sheesh........:mad:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
So you'd make it illegal for me to drive down the road and making a YouTube video of me eating a really juicy burger with a thick shake? Just what gives you the right?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For my money, the most dangerous distracted driver of all is a parent, usually a mother, with a minivan full of rowdy kids. I don't remember where I read it at the time, but somewhere they did a study, relating the number of passengers in a car in urban environments and there was a direct correlation. The problem is that there's no way to draft a law with a constitutional definition of "distraction." The "step" driver's license like Alabama and some other states have is an excellent idea. (Although I hear it's not being enforced.) I read a brain experiment, and this was very recent, I believe reported in Scientific American, on adolescents. It turns out that they have excellent concentration - until they have an audience. Then, their concentration goes to hell in a handbasket...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
On the subject of distracted driving....

......if cops would just keep a look out for crappy drivers - distracted ones included...no matter what the distraction....pull 'em over...administer appropriate justice......none of this would be as big an issue.

I had a cop tell me he can't pull over a driver unless he's going to issue a citation. I said.....well who is in charge of highway safety if you aren't?

Sheesh........:mad:
You're asking for quiet a bit here.

For my money, the most dangerous distracted driver of all is a parent, usually a mother, with a minivan full of rowdy kids. I don't remember where I read it at the time, but somewhere they did a study, relating the number of passengers in a car in urban environments and there was a direct correlation. The problem is that there's no way to draft a law with a constitutional definition of "distraction." The "step" driver's license like Alabama and some other states have is an excellent idea. (Although I hear it's not being enforced.) I read a brain experiment, and this was very recent, I believe reported in Scientific American, on adolescents. It turns out that they have excellent concentration - until they have an audience. Then, their concentration goes to hell in a handbasket...
This.

Is the woman putting on makeup while driving to work distracted?

What about the guy trying to eat his breakfast or drink his coffee?

No way to define the word while making the law enforceable. Not enough LEOs around to give out citations for everything that could be defined as distracted driving.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You're asking for quiet a bit here.

This.

Is the woman putting on makeup while driving to work distracted?

What about the guy trying to eat his breakfast or drink his coffee?

No way to define the word while making the law enforceable. Not enough LEOs around to give out citations for everything that could be defined as distracted driving.
I know you've seen these interviews with troopers where they describe some of the conduct, like people reading the newspaper (back in the day) or working on a spreadsheet on a laptop. I've actually witnessed the paper thing...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I know you've seen these interviews with troopers where they describe some of the conduct, like people reading the newspaper (back in the day) or working on a spreadsheet on a laptop. I've actually witnessed the paper thing...
I've actually done the paper thing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.