Just a little pet peeve of mind I need to get off my chest for today.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife's grandmother passed this week. It was an unexpected passing (massive heart attack) and caught everyone off guard. It has been a very hard week for the family. She was a very classy and cultured woman. Her and "Paw-Paw" traveled the world as part of the military (until he retired of course). She had a "thing" for elegance, style, class etc. Her house could have easily been apart of a southern living magazine. She was a very classy woman and this was known to everyone who knew her. She believed when you went to see someone you looked nice or in her words "presentable". She was from the old school. Hey, she was almost 90 years old. What did you expect? LOL!

Her funeral was nothing short of class. At her wishes the services were kept to family only and she had no obituary (by her wishes).

Here comes the pet peeve. EVERYONE who was apart of the family KNEW how she was regarding "being old school", dressing nice and putting your best foot forward when going places. Her services reflected her personality and everyone knew when they showed up to respect her and dress their best. Well, except for one of her nephews. He's about 55 years old and is one of these who goes out of his way to go against "the establishment". Social and cultural expectations for someone's funeral as "Maw-Maw's" is to dress your best because we all knew her. The day and event was about her, to honor her and her wishes. This nephew shows up to her services in attire that looked like he was running up to wal mart to pick up a bag of fertilizer to go back home and spread it. For the record. This guy isn't poor (he's very well off matter of fact), this wasn't a case of it's "all he had" or the "best he had". It was another case where he wasn't going to "conform" to any "rules" and wasn't going to be "told what to do". This day was about "Maw-Maw", not him. This was to honor her, she was supposed to be the center of attention on this day. No one said anything to him (because that's what he wanted. He loves confrontation) but there were some disgusted family members who sure did want to pull him aside and scold him. Just pure disrespect. I'm all for being your own person and stuff like that. But stuff like this just ticks me off. Show some dang respect for the dead, especially seeing who it was and knowing the type woman she was.

Okay. Off my soap box.

Happy Saturday!!!!
I hope everyone pointedly ignored him so he didn't get what he wanted...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
This doesn't happen as much as it used to thank The Lord. I've worked in offices where someone would leave a piece of paper not on my desk but, if I were out for a few minutes, ON MY CHAIR. One particular offender got very irritated when she came in my office and asked for the document. "I put it on your chair!" I stood up and to our surprise there it was all crumpled. That didn't happen again from that person.
That's funny. I finally got to the point I would take any paper left in my chair and trash it without looking at it.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Buzzard, sorry to hear about your grandmother-in-law. Sounds like she was a great lady.

Don't worry about this one jerk. There is always one in every crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
My pet peeve is obliviots.

They can most charitably be called inattentive. The alternative is stupidly selfish.

Examples are rampant:
-- The idiot who stops a shopping cart I the middle of the aisle in a grocery store, blocking traffic both ways. Then when gently reminded, acts like the reminder is the offender.

- The 100% moron who opens the car door into traffic to conduct several minutes worth of business that could easily be conducted by opening the car door on the curb side. Just today, I saw a woman holding a baby while exposing both of them to the traffic. She's either too stupid to have children, or angling for a civil judgment. Either way, she's an unfit parent.

NASCAR wannabes driving like they're the only ones in a parking deck. Cutting corners, accelerating into 3rd gear on the straightaways, and generally acting like they're the only ones in a stinkin' PARKING DECK. When confronted, they say, "Don't you tell ME how to drive!" Tell you what...you don't terrorize innocent pedestrians with your driving, I won't ask you for the time of day.

Pedestrians aren't without guilt...how about the obliviots walking down the middle of the parking deck lanes, talking on the cell, presentation gear in tow? Pull over to either side, and make your way to the elevator. Or.....

One of the most satisfying times of my life was when I encountered a young woman (not lady...more on that in a minute) walking for 20+ yards in the middle of the deck, set up just the way I described. I was immediately behind her, and cars were piling up behind me. I gave the most discreet toot of a horn I could muster. She whipped around and with a face screwed in contempt, gave me the middle finger salute.

A hour later, we met again. This time in a meeting where she was pitching her solution to our problem. After the pitch, I pulled her aside. "Remember the guy in the red car a little while ago?" She froze. "That was me." She didn't blush....she went white as snow. There is a just God.

How stinkin' hard is it to:
-- Be aware of your surroundings, and
-- Act like you're not the only person on the face of the earth

I feel so much better now. Thank you.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sorry for your loss and that of your families, Buzz...you served your wife's grandmother well with your generous words and I'm sure she knew how well she was regarded. That nephew......like Crimson1967 said...there's one in every crowd.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
How about when a sock or tank top gets stuck in the dryer (in a crevice) and your entire load is finished...everything is fluffy and smells good and then there's this wet mashed up wad of clothing left behind. :mad:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
everything about grocery stores annoys me.
1.slow people, seriously I get road rage going down aisles
2. people who leave shopping carts just anywhere.
3. extremely chatty people, I just want to get my stuff and get out.
4. the self checkout. I have a job and it is not bagging groceries.
5. Publix and their donations.
6. people who drive down the wrong way in the parking lot.

Grocery stores might be worse than the DMV.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

I can add two more that bug me.......

When your cashier carries on a conversation with the bag person....and you are left standing there as if you are invisible.

The simpletons who are too lazy to return their empty cart to the cart corral.....and instead push it up into the landscaping or leave it where cars are supposed to park.

:rolleyes:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I can add two more that bug me.......

When your cashier carries on a conversation with the bag person....and you are left standing there as if you are invisible.

The simpletons who are too lazy to return their empty cart to the cart corral.....and instead push it up into the landscaping or leave it where cars are supposed to park.

:rolleyes:
number 2 on my list and you first one happened to me today.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I noticed it happens at Publix ALL THE TIME.

I try to shop at Winn Dixie or the Dollar General Market as much as possible rather than Publix......just for that reason.
I shop at a farmer's market for meats and veggies. Those guys don't talk at all. I think maybe because they don't speak English very well. I have to go to Publix or Kroger for milk and bread and snack foods for lunch.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
My pet peeve is obliviots.

They can most charitably be called inattentive. The alternative is stupidly selfish.

Examples are rampant:
-- The idiot who stops a shopping cart I the middle of the aisle in a grocery store, blocking traffic both ways. Then when gently reminded, acts like the reminder is the offender.

- The 100% moron who opens the car door into traffic to conduct several minutes worth of business that could easily be conducted by opening the car door on the curb side. Just today, I saw a woman holding a baby while exposing both of them to the traffic. She's either too stupid to have children, or angling for a civil judgment. Either way, she's an unfit parent.

NASCAR wannabes driving like they're the only ones in a parking deck. Cutting corners, accelerating into 3rd gear on the straightaways, and generally acting like they're the only ones in a stinkin' PARKING DECK. When confronted, they say, "Don't you tell ME how to drive!" Tell you what...you don't terrorize innocent pedestrians with your driving, I won't ask you for the time of day.

Pedestrians aren't without guilt...how about the obliviots walking down the middle of the parking deck lanes, talking on the cell, presentation gear in tow? Pull over to either side, and make your way to the elevator. Or.....

One of the most satisfying times of my life was when I encountered a young woman (not lady...more on that in a minute) walking for 20+ yards in the middle of the deck, set up just the way I described. I was immediately behind her, and cars were piling up behind me. I gave the most discreet toot of a horn I could muster. She whipped around and with a face screwed in contempt, gave me the middle finger salute.

A hour later, we met again. This time in a meeting where she was pitching her solution to our problem. After the pitch, I pulled her aside. "Remember the guy in the red car a little while ago?" She froze. "That was me." She didn't blush....she went white as snow. There is a just God.

How stinkin' hard is it to:
-- Be aware of your surroundings, and
-- Act like you're not the only person on the face of the earth

I feel so much better now. Thank you.
Obliviots. :wink: Thank you for that one. May it dwell in the lexicon until no longer needed. Tomorrow would be too late. :biggrin2:

Boldfaced: Like the way you phrased this. Thinking you are not the only person on the face of the earth is irrelevant. In the name of all that might be holy, though, at least ACT like it.

Kudos to you, sir.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I love that word: obliviots.

I'll add pedestrians walking across the road/parking lot leisurely, without a care in the world while I wait (im)patiently for them to cross. At least act like your speeding up and being considerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

and the scary part is, based on where you live, you are shopping at the better grocery stores in the atlanta area.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

I actually like the self checkout line. There's less chance for you to be over-charged, or charged for stuff you didn't buy.

I was begrudgingly in a Wal-Mart not long ago and was beside a woman in the self check-out. She was yapping on her cell phone and scanning maybe one out of three items from her order. I looked at the Wal-Mart attendant who wasn't even paying attention. I thought "should I say something?" And my alter ego said "No. Just get your crap and get the hell out of this place."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.