Just a little pet peeve of mind I need to get off my chest for today.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Since Tidefans is our "safe space" I can drop this little irritant right here and move on about my day.

It irritates me to no end how people (especially parents with kids who do fundraisers) approach local businesses and want them to "donate" money, product, time and/or service to help their fundraiser yet when it comes to supporting the local business they don't. :mad2:

Okay, I feel better.

Carry on.

:biggrin2:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
LOL, I don't know how many times we have been asked to donate to a cause, and then asked to donate our services (or do them at a much reduced rate) as well. Kind of a thing now.

It seems everyone wants to everyone else to help them do their thing. A trip to a grocery store usually involves at least three donation requests.

I've tried to develop a kind way to say no. It usually involves the fact that what I feel I can afford to do philanthropically is going to other causes. Every once in a while I feel motivated to do something, but I try to make that where it doesn't cause multiple other requests (usually unsuccessfully). Responding to a "Well you did it for them!" can get very uncomfortable.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I would like to add the way the schools punish the kids who don't do the fundraisers. I don't allow my kids to do the fundraisers because I don't want my family, friends or neighbors to feel obligated to overpay for stuff they don't want anyway when most of the money goes to the company. That's my reason, but there are many poor kids around here whose families cannot afford to participate. The schools then have days where they throw a party for all the kids who sold "enough" and give them prizes. That irritates me, but I understand. What really really ticks me off is that they punish the others by having them do extra work and take tests during this party. :mad::mad:

I check my kids out for this public shaming exercise, but I can't help the other poor kids. I see it as discrimination against the poor kids and it makes me mad. They have it hard enough as it is. :rant:

Thanks BB, I needed that :)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Once someone was selling some crap as a fundraiser for a school trip. I asked how much profit they made for each item sold and gave them that amount rather than pay for something I did not want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
BB, if your story ends with "we just prefer KC Masterpiece" I'll drive down there right now and bring a baseball bat with me...

:biggrin:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I hearby nominate this thread going forward as the "Official Pet Peeve Thread"....I think it would be very popular. I know I could post on it at LEAST once a day!

As far as those fundraiser things.....I did plenty when I was younger. Now, I help support a group who rescues ACD's in the Carolinas and occasionally 'Special Needs' organizations for kids. That's enough.

I do agree with you, Buzz....very hypocritical!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Since Tidefans is our "safe space" I can drop this little irritant right here and move on about my day.

It irritates me to no end how people (especially parents with kids who do fundraisers) approach local businesses and want them to "donate" money, product, time and/or service to help their fundraiser yet when it comes to supporting the local business they don't. :mad2:

Okay, I feel better.

Carry on.

But, it's for the children.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Okay, I feel better.

Carry on.

Buzz, I can relate and could tell you some whoppers about this. Since I am not sure of my audience I will pass, but understand how you feel.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Okay, I feel better.

Carry on.

Worst yet are relatives kids who do it to you, particularly grown kids, who are "going on a mission," or something similar...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Okay, I feel better.

Carry on.

Hey, can I send a link to my kids High School gofundme page? ;)

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I remember when I was a kid and those fundraiser things came around. I never participated, but I don't remember any sort of punishment. Is that new or was I just not paying attention?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm raising money for a mission trip to Thailand, the Philippines and Colombia. I'm going to spread the gospel according to DBF. ;)

Please contribute. I'll be spending about a month in each country. Your help is greatly appreciated. Please give to the DBF Missions Work based in the Grand Caymans.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
The funny thing is, when my kids were growing up PARENTS paid their way. I still have a senior in high school and I still fund all of his activities personally. I think that is how it should work. He plays high school soccer and they ask parents to contribute to meals when they travel. I declined and slide him a twenty and tell him to buy his own.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I am a teacher, and due to a lack of funding in my school system, fundraising and class fees is what I have to do to help my students. I teach at a technical education school, and a part of my curriculum is tied into the national organization that holds state and national competitions. The money they charge per student for entries, hotels, competitions is a scam to me, but since my curriculum is tied into it, we have to do it. I personally loathe fundraising for the very reasons y'all have brought up. So, I've tried to come up with different things that people would at least be willing to pay for. I will be looking for sponsorships for next year to help with the fundraising.

Personally, I think the issue lies at the central offices of the school systems. They always seem to be getting bigger, and money doesn't seem to be trickling down as much to the teachers and their programs. That's just my opinion, I have no facts/examples to back it up.

ADDENDUM - what do I spend my classes' fundraising and class fees on? National organization membership, certification tests, supplies so students can practice their skills in the classroom, office supplies, new textbooks or computer programs for curriculum, and a little left over for rewards for my higher performing students. If I won the lottery, I'd just use that money to fund my program and stop fundraising altogether. For my mobile robotics competition, we were required to buy the entire competition kit, which included all required parts for the robot, all programming and code software, and license fees to use the software. The total amount was more than $1,500 that thankfully, my central office covered and didn't come out of my program budget. That's just one example of the kind of money I have to spend to fulfill my requirements as a teacher.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
BB, if your story ends with "we just prefer KC Masterpiece" I'll drive down there right now and bring a baseball bat with me...

:biggrin:
Not this time CA but that has happened. LOL! And yes if I would have had a baseball bat I would be behind bars. One of my good local business owner friends called me today fuming about this. He has busted his butt to open up his own business (took him seven years of blood sweat and tears) and he has given and given to the locals in this community. Donations to kids fundraisers, sponsorships for schools and all the other stuff. He said he had a few of his neighbors come in with their kids to his store and want him to "sponsor" them in some school event. He said yet they NEVER step one foot in his store to buy their wine and spirits. They go to the big chain places to buy. He said it burns him up and I agree. I've had things very similar happen to me and it does make you mad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.