2016 Season QB Thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

The media doesn't have a clue... Going into 2015 does anyone remember who the "media" had tabbed to be a hiesman front runner at QB. Give ya a hint it was a QB with just as much game experience as Jake Coker heading into 2015. The media....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
When guys like Travis Reier makes comments that include "from the football complex" or "within the building the sense is...," I'm going to say he has a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

People who don't think Jalen Hurts is really in the competition must've missed all of the CFPCG prep, Spring camp, and A-Day coverage. Every thing about this guy since he arrived on campus and played scout team QB for Clemson prep has been about what a special talent he is.

We haven't had a QB quite like him in my lifetime. He has the arm that many of our best passers possessed but the athletic ability unlike any of our best dual-threat QBs (Watts, Sims, etc). The only thing holding him back at this juncture is between the ears. As good as Sims was for us as dual-threat option, he didn't have a natural passing ability...he got every last bit out of his arm and the offense was tuned to mostly avoid the things he struggled with executing. Hurts has the ability to become a QB like we faced in January against Clemson: equally able to sit in the pocket and tear you apart and just break your defense down with his speed. Not saying he's basically Watson today but all the tools are there for him to become just like him in the future.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015

When guys like Travis Reier makes comments that include "from the football complex" or "within the building the sense is...," I'm going to say he has a clue.

Good point! Let me amend my previous statement. Most all media members don't have a clue. I was referring, in my previous post, to the talking heads at ESPN. They had pumped up the QB at the Barn to be all world and a heisman front runner, Johnson I think is his name not sure. He had just as much if not less game experience as Coker heading into last season. After week 1 when the kid threw 3-4 ints all the talk went away. 😂😂😂

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't recall a year where the media has been as vocal about the newcomer, either.

The talk appears to be legitimate.
Well, this is the most talented bunch of QBs I ever recall Alabama having. It isn't often that the true freshman is getting serious attention from everyone (including the coach) and every potential QB is a 4 or 5 star.

I think some people are looking at it a bit backwards. I do believe Alabama can win with Bateman, I don't think he's unable to do the job. I've compared him to GMac, and all the guy did was win a championship and play in the NFL. Then we move on to Cornwell who physically is the prototypical NFL quarterback. Big guy, big arm, highly rated coming out of high school. Under ordinary circumstances those two alone would fuel enough speculation and interest. But... Barnett is the basically the biggest prospect at the position Alabama has had since Brodie Croyle. He can run, he can throw, the capabilities are all there.

Then... somehow, it is the true freshman who has turned the most heads and has the most people talking. Anyone who has followed the team for a while know that's a pretty big deal. Barnett, Cornwell, AJ, GMac, Phillip Sims, none of those guys looked like Hurts looks now as true freshmen. That doesn't mean Hurts is going to start, or play, or anything, but the hype is real. He looks fantastic considering he's a true freshman. Now, there's more to it than how he looks, there's a lot that he might not be ready for, but when the true freshman is the one that is catching people's eye, that means something. It's not just the fact that people like something new.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Can we wait until he actually plays in a game before we crown Hurts the next Joe Montana?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Well, this is the most talented bunch of QBs I ever recall Alabama having. It isn't often that the true freshman is getting serious attention from everyone (including the coach) and every potential QB is a 4 or 5 star.

I think some people are looking at it a bit backwards. I do believe Alabama can win with Bateman, I don't think he's unable to do the job. I've compared him to GMac, and all the guy did was win a championship and play in the NFL. Then we move on to Cornwell who physically is the prototypical NFL quarterback. Big guy, big arm, highly rated coming out of high school. Under ordinary circumstances those two alone would fuel enough speculation and interest. But... Barnett is the basically the biggest prospect at the position Alabama has had since Brodie Croyle. He can run, he can throw, the capabilities are all there.

Then... somehow, it is the true freshman who has turned the most heads and has the most people talking. Anyone who has followed the team for a while know that's a pretty big deal. Barnett, Cornwell, AJ, GMac, Phillip Sims, none of those guys looked like Hurts looks now as true freshmen. That doesn't mean Hurts is going to start, or play, or anything, but the hype is real. He looks fantastic considering he's a true freshman. Now, there's more to it than how he looks, there's a lot that he might not be ready for, but when the true freshman is the one that is catching people's eye, that means something. It's not just the fact that people like something new.
Exactly. You nailed it on the point.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

If I had to put money on it, I would not pick Hurts to be the starter this year. I do think he's going to get a shot and that will bode well for 1 or 2 years from now. The most apt comparison I can think of for his arrival is not even a quarterback. Back in 2008, everyone knew about Julio and Barron and BJ Scott...they were the stars of the class. Then the Summer comes and the freshmen arrive...and it is Mark Ingram that people connected to the program were surprised by how college-ready he looked. Everyone was happy that we went into Big Ten country and signed him but most people figured he'd be well behind Coffee, Grant, and Upchurch as a true Freshman. He ended up getting significant snaps in the opener and you could tell he was going to be star one day.

Hurts was a tad bit higher rated out of high school than Mark Ingram but I think there was been a similar level of unexpected buzz. The big difference is that he got here in January and people got their first glimpse in the Spring game. Another difference is that while tailback is a rotational position, ideally QB is not. That is why I think his stardom is a few years down the row.

The common thread: we may not all be coaches here, but it doesn't take a Nick Saban to know star talent when you see it in action on the field.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If I had to put money on it, I would not pick Hurts to be the starter this year. I do think he's going to get a shot and that will bode well for 1 or 2 years from now. The most apt comparison I can think of for his arrival is not even a quarterback. Back in 2008, everyone knew about Julio and Barron and BJ Scott...they were the stars of the class. Then the Summer comes and the freshmen arrive...and it is Mark Ingram that people connected to the program were surprised by how college-ready he looked. Everyone was happy that we went into Big Ten country and signed him but most people figured he'd be well behind Coffee, Grant, and Upchurch as a true Freshman. He ended up getting significant snaps in the opener and you could tell he was going to be star one day.

Hurts was a tad bit higher rated out of high school than Mark Ingram but I think there was been a similar level of unexpected buzz. The big difference is that he got here in January and people got their first glimpse in the Spring game. Another difference is that while tailback is a rotational position, ideally QB is not. That is why I think his stardom is a few years down the row.

The common thread: we may not all be coaches here, but it doesn't take a Nick Saban to know star talent when you see it in action on the field.
I get what you're trying to say, but the Running back and Quarterback situation are two different situation....

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

In 1964 Alabama had on campus Joe Namath, Steve Sloan, and Ken Stabler. Pretty talented group. If these guys turn out that good I'll be happy.

Last edited:

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

I am almost certain that it will be Bateman or Barnett starting the first game of the year. And I am so certain, I'll bet anyone even odds on a Dreamland dinner for the winner.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If I had to put money on it, I would not pick Hurts to be the starter this year.
I made a pretty bold prediction prior to A-Day in which I basically said there's no way Hurts is the starter. I think if he was the starter, there's a risk of Cornwell and Barnett departing, there's also a ton of risk with playing a true freshman. But... after watching him at A-Day and hearing what people are saying about him (including Saban), it is clear that he's still in the running at this point. In fact I'd go one step further and say if he wasn't a true freshman, I'd darn near put money on his getting some meaningful playing time. His speed and elusiveness is notable (the guy has been a leading rusher at multiple scrimmages), but he's also a 6'2 power lifter. If nothing else I could easily imagine him being used like Tebow was as a true freshman, in rushing/short yardage type situations.

In 1964 Alabama had on campus Joe Namath, Steve Sloan, and Ken Stable. Pretty talented group. If these guys turn out that good I'll be happy.
I wasn't around back then, heh but I defer to that group. Having said that, Alabama had a long stretch of lack of top NFL talent at the position (after a string of Super Bowl winning QBs). They seem to be getting back to accumulating talent at the position again and that's a great thing.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I know CLK isn't going to be around forever but I would love to see a QB play in his 2nd or 3rd year of being coached by him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I am almost certain that it will be Bateman or Barnett starting the first game of the year. And I am so certain, I'll bet anyone even odds on a Dreamland dinner for the winner.
That is a good and safe bet IMO.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

I thought Hurts played exceptionally well during this year's A Day. That said...

I look back at the 2015 Elite 11 competition where he wasn't ranked in the top 5 by any of the analysts. BB won it the year before. I think Tua will likely win it this year. So, Hurts is possibly sandwiched by two Elite 11 winners. I am not casting dispersions on his talent, because it is obviously there. What I do think is that the Elite 11 deal is an accuracy showcase. I will be very interested to see how it all shakes out if Tua can win this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I thought Hurts played exceptionally well during this year's A Day. That said...

I look back at the 2015 Elite 11 competition where he wasn't ranked in the top 5 by any of the analysts. BB won it the year before. I think Tua will likely win it this year. So, Hurts is possibly sandwiched by two Elite 11 winners. I am not casting dispersions on his talent, because it is obviously there. What I do think is that the Elite 11 deal is an accuracy showcase. I will be very interested to see how it all shakes out if Tua can win this year.
Tua did win it.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Tua did win it.
Oh. I thought it was that he won the Oakland open and the Elite 11 had not taken place yet. So... I'm behind. I would be a little more self-congratulatory on such a great prediction if I made it before the finals!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

Is to safe to say there won't be any possible QB transfers until the spring? Anyone know the deadline for players to transfer before the fall? Seems like it would be soon with fall camp starting next week..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Is to safe to say there won't be any possible QB transfers until the spring? Anyone know the deadline for players to transfer before the fall? Seems like it would be soon with fall camp starting next week..
Would be pretty shocked if any of the QBs transferred now. Even if a guy isn't really in contention, Saban and Kiffin are going to tell him he is just for depth purposes during the season.

Something people should remember when discussing Hurts and/or Barnett. Lane can work with them during the summer now. Coaches have up to 8 hours a week with players; two of those can be actually on the field.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

True, elite 11 is an accuracy showdown. There isn't as much on reading a defense and making sure you're only making positive plays etc that Saban will put a high focus on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.