2016 Season QB Thread

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

Watching Saban's presser after the scrimmage sounds like the QB reps are too spread out and may see them narrow down to 2 or 3 getting the majority before the next scrimmage. Based on his calling out Cornwell for doing good things and reports Bateman looked good, may be a Cornwell-Bateman battle. Nick sounded as if Barnett still has a way to go. Not a knock on Blake at all. I think between the 3 we will have a QB we can win with in the fall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Nick sounded as if Barnett still has a way to go.
That's very easy to believe. I think we all know he has the highest ceiling, but he's very inexperienced. I think it is a matter of when not if in terms of things coming together for him, but it's not a given they come together this year. I mean there have been times that both Bateman and Cornwell were written off and before this is all said and done I expect all the QBs to have their off days.

Having said that, it's just hard for me to imagine Jalen Hurts being considered as a serious candidate for the job. I really expect to see him settle into the redshirt role and then they can narrow things down from there.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

That's very easy to believe. I think we all know he has the highest ceiling, but he's very inexperienced. I think it is a matter of when not if in terms of things coming together for him, but it's not a given they come together this year. I mean there have been times that both Bateman and Cornwell were written off and before this is all said and done I expect all the QBs to have their off days.

Having said that, it's just hard for me to imagine Jalen Hurts being considered as a serious candidate for the job. I really expect to see him settle into the redshirt role and then they can narrow things down from there.
Hard to imagine for anybody. He won't play this year. Regarding Barnett, he still has a lot of progressing and mostly maturity to get through. He still may be a factory but his body is still growing and his mental aspect as well.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Watching Saban's presser after the scrimmage sounds like the QB reps are too spread out and may see them narrow down to 2 or 3 getting the majority before the next scrimmage. Based on his calling out Cornwell for doing good things and reports Bateman looked good, may be a Cornwell-Bateman battle. Nick sounded as if Barnett still has a way to go. Not a knock on Blake at all. I think between the 3 we will have a QB we can win with in the fall.
I think spreading the snaps around in the Fall 2015 was a contributing factor in the QB position taking until mid-season to come together.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Another thing to add on the qbs....we don't know what type of throws they were asked to throw.

For instance, if BB threw the INTs on screens or slants that's one thing but if they came on some deep seam routes or deep outs it's a little different.

AND, our DBs can make a lot of qbs look silly too.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think Coach will use the next scrimmage to determine who can handle the snaps at QB. My gut feeling is that It'll probably be narrow down to Cornwell and Bateman... Barnett will have another opportunity in the fall.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Barnett struck me as a guy who would stick it out so long as Kiffin was around. I feel like that is the biggest threat with Barnett and transferring.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

If Barnett doesn't win the job he will most likely transfer within a year. Sucks.
If you're right, a scholarship is most likely opening up. Odds of him winning the job this year aren't much better than my own.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If Barnett doesn't win the job he will most likely transfer within a year. Sucks.
Why would he transfer? Did he think he would start as a freshman? Bateman or Cornwell plays for the next 2 years and then Barnett takes over as a RS Junior with 2 years to play. Transferring wouldn't put him in a starting role any faster - unless it was to DII and I don't think he would do that..

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

The problem is that he won't be losing the job to a senior. If he doesn't start this year he'll probably have to wait 2 more years.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Barnett struck me as a guy who would stick it out so long as Kiffin was around. I feel like that is the biggest threat with Barnett and transferring.
Tend to agree. But I'd say if he can't grasp the O and/or his mechanics don't improve he might consider it after next spring. Not this year though.

Still think Cornwell is best fit. But I dang sure ain't gonna make ANY prediction after my record the last couple years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If you're right, a scholarship is most likely opening up. Odds of him winning the job this year aren't much better than my own.
Pretty drastic there. Way too early to tell about any of them. And he does have a slight advantage over you since he's actually on the team. :wink:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think spreading the snaps around in the Fall 2015 was a contributing factor in the QB position taking until mid-season to come together.
The thing is it's settled way down since the peak in 2014.

I mean at one time there was what Cornwell, Morris, McLeod, Coker, Sims, and Bateman right? Then that narrowed down to Cornwell, Morris, Coker, Bateman, and Barnett last season. Now, it's Cornwell, Bateman, Barnett, and Hurts (in terms of scholarship QBs). I'd say it's as a fairly reasonable and manageable number but clearly you can't evenly split things up among four guys all the way into fall. I think they made a good effort to give everyone a shot thus far though.

I think Coach will use the next scrimmage to determine who can handle the snaps at QB. My gut feeling is that It'll probably be narrow down to Cornwell and Bateman... Barnett will have another opportunity in the fall.
I get what you're saying but I think there needs to be emphasis on that last part. I don't think that anyone can read too much into the spring, there won't be a starting QB coming out of the spring, period. I also doubt they seriously eliminate anyone short of Jalen (I believe Saban has redshirted every QB he's had).

It's funny to see people already writing off Barnett and it reminds me of how this went the past couple of years. Sims was declared by some people to be utterly incapable of handling the job (and did struggle mightily a couple of times), and interestingly enough some people felt Cornwell was the guy coming out of last spring. There's just no way that things are going to be decided anytime soon. This didn't happen last year, or the year before, heck it didn't even happen the year AJ won the starting job. I'm going to at least wait until A-Day before I draw any meaningful conclusion about who I think can and can't do the job and even then the situation is still fluid.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I want to make few points:

-The Qbs race was highly inconsistent for the most part. All of those guys should perform little better this time, and expect them to have good and bad moments this year.

-Don't be shocked to see coaches making few adjustments from last year.. where there wasn't enough reps going around.. I think they kinda want to see who can emerge little early and have advantage going into fall camp.

-Let's remember that Who performed well in spring, didn't always do well in fall camp.. (Cornwell and Barnett)

- I really expect Barnett to make a strong push in the fall for a starting job, or at least get the #2 spot.
- It's way too early to say Bateman has the advantage. Shoot, I wouldn't be shocked to see Barnett and Cornwell getting most reps to see how they do... Coach saw enough of Cornwell and Bateman and wanna see closer look at others...

-

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

he looked no worse (or better) than any of the qb's at the scrimmage today. he has a shot to play this year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

From what I can gather, the QBs were getting harassed more than the defensive stats given to the media may indicate. With CamRob out and a few new guys on the OL, it is going to be tough on the QBs this spring.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

There is always a chance that one of the QBs decides to transfer at some point. But our coaches have an advantage. They can point to Sims and Coker and say "Look at the success these guys had by waiting their turn." The success rate for those who transferred has been mixed at best. We have incredibly talented players at every position that are playing 2nd or 3rd string, so the QBs need to realize they are no different.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

From what I can gather, the QBs were getting harassed more than the defensive stats given to the media may indicate. With CamRob out and a few new guys on the OL, it is going to be tough on the QBs this spring.
This is important to know. There are INTs and really bad INTs and why an INT happened is important to know. Sometimes it's not all on the qb.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Agree which is why I think Saban and Lane will have it narrowed to 2 getting primary snaps going into A-day. Wouldn't be surprised that those two play the first 3+ quarters at A-day.

Hurt's will RS and the odd man out of Bateman, Cornwell and Barnett will transfer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.