2016 Season QB Thread

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

My heart says Barnett starts, but my head is telling me it'll be Bateman.

I think Bateman starts against USC and it'll go from there. If Bateman looks good in the first half, then we probably have our man. But if Bateman really stinks the joint up or something, I think we'll see Barnett start in the second half and probably in week 2 as well.

I'll say this much. If Barnett is giving that chance, he better damn sure run with it. Because its time.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I think Bateman starts against USC and it'll go from there. If Bateman looks good in the first half, then we probably have our man. But if Bateman really stinks the joint up or something, I think we'll see Barnett start in the second half and probably in week 2 as well.

I'll say this much. If Barnett is giving that chance, he better damn sure run with it. Because its time.
I agree. Lane had a lot of success spreading the field with 40+ yard mismatches. And I know that Lane adapts, but does Bateman have the arm to hit Ridely at the 10 from our own 45? We sure had a lot of success from that. With the quality of our receivers coupled with possible lack of depth at RB, I am sure the ability of the QGB to spread the field will play a role in the starter. We are loaded at WR.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

This is roughly how I see it going too unless Barnett wins the job outright this month and starts from the get go. Either way I think we start the season with Bateman and Barnett being 1-2 in some order and both getting a shot at playing time to see who is the best choice during a real game.

I will say though IF we drop 1-2 games early solely because of them both costing us with bad play I can see us burning the redshirt on Hurts. The only guy that I think has virtually no shot is Cornwell. He is waaaaaaaay too inconsistent. Every now and then he will make a throw that the other 3 probably couldn't make.....but most of the time he is far off the mark. I mean missing a WR badly like Pennington use to do.

I know everyone is in love with Hurts right now but I'd prefer we redshirt him if possible. He made some bad throws in the A-Day game too and one that was a terrible decision into traffic that just had a lucky bounce that turned into a big gain. It could have easily been a pick 6. You can see he has the largest upside outside of Barnett but I just can't see him starting right away. Only if Bateman and Barnett both flame out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm super pumped to learn the Barnett has put on meaningful weight. It can only help his confidence in the plan the coaches have for him and to know he's more prepared for SEC linemen/linebackers.

If he's smart he knows this is probably his time to take the reins of the Bama offense. If he doesn't the talent behind him will be more inspired than ever next spring/fall.

I really just hope he separates himself in the camp and removes any doubt.

Of course, until he/someone else does it in a game the verdict in still out..and that's why they all have a chance at this juncture.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Blake Barnett is a redshirt freshman, and has taken zero snaps in live action. I just don't believe 2016 is make-or-break for him.

He should play when he's our best chance to win a championship. If that's this year, I'll be surprised, but that's happened before. If not, it's nowhere near to being a statement on his potential. It's saying that he needs more time to get to that spot.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Blake Barnett is a redshirt freshman, and has taken zero snaps in live action. I just don't believe 2016 is make-or-break for him.

He should play when he's our best chance to win a championship. If that's this year, I'll be surprised, but that's happened before. If not, it's nowhere near to being a statement on his potential. It's saying that he needs more time to get to that spot.
Nope, not make or break, but this will probably be his easiest path to the starting position that he'll see based on the talent lining up behind him with Hurts, Tag, and M. Jones ready to pounce.

And FWIW, he's almost exactly where Sims and Coker where in terms of game experience...but just a little younger, but reportedly even more talented.

All said, it goes without saying the coaches will make the best call based on what they see both on the field and in the locker room.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I think a lot of people forget how young Barnett is. He's only been here a year and a half, and he has four years of eligibility left. If Bateman wins out, BB can still compete for the job as a RS junior.

I do think this fall is a good opportunity for him though. He's probably the best pure passer of the bunch. Just has to cut down on those turnovers.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Alabama's first practice is later today. Hopefully we get some nuggets about how the QBs look.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I listened to Saban's PC, and the way he worded his answers about the QBs didn't sound too good for DC. Obviously, there's nothing you can do about injuries and he's got plenty of time, but I think this puts him even further behind the eight ball.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

I listened to Saban's PC, and the way he worded his answers about the QBs didn't sound too good for DC. Obviously, there's nothing you can do about injuries and he's got plenty of time, but I think this puts him even further behind the eight ball.
That's the way I interpreted his comments also. Couple that with Jalen Hurts being a true freshman and it's most likely down to Bateman vs Barnett..

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

That's the way I interpreted his comments also. Couple that with Jalen Hurts being a true freshman and it's most likely down to Bateman vs Barnett..
Nothing has really changed with the recent news. Cornwell wasn't going to really be in the running anyway. He's the most inconsistent of the 4.

Hurts will either be redshirted or have a special package role off the bench like Tebow behind Leak for UF in '06. It was always going to be between Batemen and Barnett and will probably carry into the first few games like last year between Coker and Batemen or even 2011 between AJ and Phillip Simms.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I was thinking that before the recent updates and thus far nothing has dispelled that. Cornwell, ever since the last summer break, just hasn't been on track at all. Hurts, he's got a heck of a uphill battle to start as a true freshman (and it's hard to justify burning his redshirt as a backup).

But! These are 4 really talented kids, and I still feel like this is as deep a group of guys as I've witnessed at Alabama. Hurts would have to do something exceptional, and Cornwell would really have to take a big step forward, but stranger things have happened. Bateman seemed out of it at this point last year, Blake Sims was the #2 at this point in his senior year, it will be interesting to watch and see who steps up.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hurts is a special guy. But as for starting as a true freshman, I won't believe it until I see it but I also wouldn't be floored if it happens.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I just posted this in the practice thread but it belongs here really I guess:

Man I just don't know how I feel about this. Hurts is an exciting player to be sure but the prospect of him potentially being the starter is scary. He's just a True FR and WILL make mistakes. I still think Barnett has the goods and could start for 3 years for us with Hurts having packages for his talents off the bench.

Redshirt him and he would still have 2 years to start after Barnett. If Hurts starts now he will be the only QB on scholarship come spring besides the new signees because everyone else will bolt. This is a dicey situation from a depth chart perspective. Nothing against Hurts.....if he really is the best I will cheer him on mistakes and all but it will have major roster repercussions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I just posted this in the practice thread but it belongs here really I guess:

Man I just don't know how I feel about this. Hurts is an exciting player to be sure but the prospect of him potentially being the starter is scary. He's just a True FR and WILL make mistakes. I still think Barnett has the goods and could start for 3 years for us with Hurts having packages for his talents off the bench.

Redshirt him and he would still have 2 years to start after Barnett. If Hurts starts now he will be the only QB on scholarship come spring besides the new signees because everyone else will bolt. This is a dicey situation from a depth chart perspective. Nothing against Hurts.....if he really is the best I will cheer him on mistakes and all but it will have major roster repercussions.
I've considered the same situation but have come to the simple conclusion Saban and Kiffin aren't going to base their decision on transfers and recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.