2016 Season QB Thread

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

It's going to be Bateman out of the gates, put your next paycheck on it. Youngsters still making too many mistakes to hand them the keys just yet.

careeves

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 19, 2007
Huntsville

It's going to be Bateman out of the gates, put your next paycheck on it. Youngsters still making too many mistakes to hand them the keys just yet.
I highly disagree with your assessment. Bateman has a limited skill setup and is not a threat downfield. Barnett and Hurt are both Kiffen recruits, and Kiffen has been waiting to have his quarterback in his system. Bateman will be 3rd string, count on it!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Did y'all see where Kirk Herbstreet is predicting Blake Barnett?
I don't know if Herbstreit has made any trips to the athletic facilities this Summer. Guys like him and others from ESPN usually get a bit better access than the beat reporters. He may have some insider* information that inform his opinion but I'm always standoffish when national guys make predictions on our QB position.

* Insofar as maybe having seen some of the QBs in practice and maybe reading the tea leaves in one-on-ones he's had with the staff.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

SIAP. i'm starting to think this may happen.

Hurts carries the day.
Me too, I just watched a little periscope that Aaron Suttles did and he was talking about the team and scrimmage, raving Hurts. I'm in

Worth watching if you can, I saw it as he posted on Twitter. But I'm not sure how to link it

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The biggest issue with Hurts is it is hard to tell how much his inexperience would hurt him in a real game. The other is he's spent a lot of time facing Alabama's second and third string defenses, so for instance at A-Day he looked better than he might otherwise.

Having said that, to reiterate the hype is based on ability, not just people being driven into a frenzy. At this point when Cornwell was a true freshman, people knew he was out of the hunt. At this point last year people realized Barnett was out of the hunt. Hurts? I had to change my tune on him after A-Day. I went from no way he starts, to yeah it is a possibility.

It still feels like a long shot, but I read that Bateman had two interceptions. The main thing Bateman has going for him should be his ability to avoid mistakes, if he has any issues doing that, then it really opens the door for Hurts (and Barnett).

I just find this scenario utterly fascinating. In the past, a lot of my comments about QBs ended up just being in defense of one of them, be it JPW, Blake Sims, or Coker. This time though, it's kind of like you have a GMac (experienced with limited talent), Phillip Sims (huge upside, not yet fully manifested), and then? Then you have this, Nick Saban hasn't really had it before, true freshman dual threat phenom which very will could be the next game changing QB in college football (but of course could turn out to be a bust). USC had a few years where they managed to stack talent at the position (5 star QB as back-up punter, back-up QB drafted in NFL and eventually starts, not to mention a stream of Heisman winners/candidates), but this is really the first time I can recall Nick Saban having this kind of talent stacked at the position. It's a good thing...

Edit: I would also add this, there's no question that Bateman/Barnett/Hurts are the best running group of QBs that the team has had. I know Blake Sims was a good runner, but overall this Alabama defense will probably be the best adjusted to deal with running quarterbacks.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think you hit at my core feeling: the A-Day game made me at least concede that Hurts could legitimately compete and the news around the facilities during the Summer and now in camp is that he's parlayed a good Spring into a great Summer and Fall.

So yeah, it is a possibility. I think the fact he's a coach's son helps him a ton. He's picking up the offense quicker than the staff could've expected and put in a ton of work. Saban was a coach's son who played QB for his father's team in high school. So I wouldn't underestimate that Saban sees some similarities between Hurts and himself. At least in mental makeup.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The biggest issue with Hurts is it is hard to tell how much his inexperience would hurt him in a real game. The other is he's spent a lot of time facing Alabama's second and third string defenses, so for instance at A-Day he looked better than he might otherwise.

Having said that, to reiterate the hype is based on ability, not just people being driven into a frenzy. At this point when Cornwell was a true freshman, people knew he was out of the hunt. At this point last year people realized Barnett was out of the hunt. Hurts? I had to change my tune on him after A-Day. I went from no way he starts, to yeah it is a possibility.

It still feels like a long shot, but I read that Bateman had two interceptions. The main thing Bateman has going for him should be his ability to avoid mistakes, if he has any issues doing that, then it really opens the door for Hurts (and Barnett).

I just find this scenario utterly fascinating. In the past, a lot of my comments about QBs ended up just being in defense of one of them, be it JPW, Blake Sims, or Coker. This time though, it's kind of like you have a GMac (experienced with limited talent), Phillip Sims (huge upside, not yet fully manifested), and then? Then you have this, Nick Saban hasn't really had it before, true freshman dual threat phenom which very will could be the next game changing QB in college football (but of course could turn out to be a bust). USC had a few years where they managed to stack talent at the position (5 star QB as back-up punter, back-up QB drafted in NFL and eventually starts, not to mention a stream of Heisman winners/candidates), but this is really the first time I can recall Nick Saban having this kind of talent stacked at the position. It's a good thing...

Edit: I would also add this, there's no question that Bateman/Barnett/Hurts are the best running group of QBs that the team has had. I know Blake Sims was a good runner, but overall this Alabama defense will probably be the best adjusted to deal with running quarterbacks.
While Hurts didn't go against the first team on A-Day, he's gone against them this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

And I think the touch rules are a bit more friendly to the QBs seeing how he made a long TD run

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL

And I think the touch rules are a bit more friendly to the QBs seeing how he made a long TD run
Actually the opposite is true, they are not allowed to break tackles as the first touch and they are down.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Get'em some parachute pants and we'll call it a nickname

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.