2016 Season QB Thread

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

They'll probably work Hurts in here and there to start the season.

But don't be surprised to see him start against USC, and if he were to stumble significantly early, then more seniority would step in.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN

Yeah I have to agree with a lot of folks on here. Seems people who see the QBs play are all saying Hurts is the best QB on the field. This is interesting for sure to see if a freshman dual threat phenom can actually break through and win over the coaches and the team.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

I'm really excited about the possibility of Hurts being our QB. You can tell he has it...I don't see how you keep him off the field. I think his extra mobility will give teams fits. The fact that he has the arm to go with it is really special. I see Hurts becoming a Deshaun Watson type quarterback (a very special player). As everyone knows he will make mistakes but I believe he can and will overcome it. Priority one is take care of the ball...then everything else will work itself out.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

That would be great if Hurts did start this year. It would be nice to have a three year starter at QB.

But that Hawaiian QB recruit is incredibly talented , too......maybe even ahead of Hurts at this point in his career. Tua might even beat out Hurts next year, who knows for sure.
Great problem to have, either way.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I'm firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp; but if the rumblings are true about his talent, he can take care of the ball, and he wins over those he needs to then Roll Tide!

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

I'm really excited about the possibility of Hurts being our QB. You can tell he has it...I don't see how you keep him off the field. I think his extra mobility will give teams fits. The fact that he has the arm to go with it is really special. I see Hurts becoming a Deshaun Watson type quarterback (a very special player). As everyone knows he will make mistakes but I believe he can and will overcome it. Priority one is take care of the ball...then everything else will work itself out.
Even Deshaun Watson had a few very bad throws, but his talent overshadowed it. That could be the case with Hurts. Notice what Saban said what he learned from the scrimmage. He said something to the effect that he wanted to see some things under game conditions at the QB position, and he did. Multiple reports that Hurts was the best QB, stood out for sure. Hmmmmmm

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I think if the staff thinks they can beat USC with Bateman's skill set, they likely go with him. But, the young guys are intriguing.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I think if the staff thinks they can beat USC with Bateman's skill set, they likely go with him. But, the young guys are intriguing.
Experience counts for a lot, but it has to carry over to the field. Based on the limited number of reports out of camp so far, it seem Cooper is struggling with his throws.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Well we have something to talk about for the next couple of weeks. :) What we all want is for the QB who can do the best job to be selected. We will find out soon. I wonder if it could be we play both of them, like running the Wildcat, or something like Urban did at Florida when he would put Tebow in down close to the goal line?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

It's obvious that we are transitioning the QB position to one with more athleticism and less game manager type skill set. Bateman would have been the transition QB but his lack of arm talent (if you believe the reports) with the receivers we have may mean its time to make the switch now and roll the dice a little. Barnett, Hurts, and hopefully Tua will have us stacked for the foreseeable future.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

Based on nothing more than speculation my guess is we see a game much like Wiscy with Bateman going first followed by Barnett. My guess is BB wins the job and starts after that - with Bateman listed as the official 2 - but Hurts the real 2 were BB to go down.

Probably missed by a mile - but as long as we are WAG'ing I figured I would get in on the fun [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

I keep hearing Hurts is the early leader. I still think it is truly up for grabs but I think it will be one of the young guns BB or JH. I love that CNS really does give all the guys a shot regardless of age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

Winston Churchill said, of the admiral of England's Grand Fleet in World War 1, that he was the only man on either side who could lose the war in an afternoon.

This is a very concise description of why Saban likes experience, consistency in performance, and lack of mental errors in his QB. This football team is very like that Grand Fleet - the biggest, fastest, most powerful, the most determined and experienced. But you can still lose, be defeated in detail, with too many mistakes by the admiral.

Quarterbacks on other teams need to win. The Alabama QB is surrounded by the Grand Fleet. Winning is a team effort and the QB must not lose.

Bateman is going to be the starting QB, unless he keeps throwing interceptions in practice.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL

USC is going to be in a real pickle if Hurts is the starter. I doubt they will be preparing for him on game week and we all know Saban will not name a starter. We are going to hear the same stuff until someone trots onto the field in a few weeks.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

USC is going to be in a real pickle if Hurts is the starter. I doubt they will be preparing for him on game week and we all know Saban will not name a starter. We are going to hear the same stuff until someone trots onto the field in a few weeks.
I agree and disagree.

Obviously there is a tactical advantage in not allowing your opponent to know who to prepare for in the 1st game of the season. HOWEVER, there is no collegiate tape on Barnett or Hurts outside of A-Day and Bateman's is very limited. So I don't know how much advantage is to be gained - not to mention with all the new personnel on the offensive side it's likely that Kiffin has yet again drawn up offensive wrinkles that USC will not have prepared for (and vice-versa), though many here have correctly reduced the core of his offensive strategy into a few key elements.

However, it may simply just be best to keep it under wraps until the day arrives. The team may know who gets the nod, and it may not create a huge advantage but psychologically it allows Alabama to hold the chips in a way.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Boys, I don't think anybody has a clue this year. I've THOUGHT it would eventually end up being Barnett with Bateman getting a look too, but now with Hurts being a possibility it's all just a big guess.

I know everybody can guess, but I'm ammused at those who speak/write as if they know what is going to happen.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

As for comparisons, Hurts looks to be wired up like B. Sims, IMO. Both athletic, good arms, good legs. Tua V., if we can keep him, looks like a continuation in that direction for future qb profile. Very impressed with what Tua looks to bring to the table. Much like Hurts/Sims, only left-handed. Check out some of his highlights if you haven't already. Plenty out there.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I've honestly been thinking that the season would start with Bateman and Barnett playing the first couple of games to see who was the best option in a Live Game. Then barring disaster Hurts would be able to be redshirted.

But....if you go by what people are saying they have claimed to see in practice and scrimmages my mind is changing. Bateman is struggling to make the throws and actually has had the most turnovers while Barnett has calmed down a bit and playing smarter and Hurts is sizzling.

If I had to guess now....the season starts with Barnett and Hurts playing in the first two games to see who is the best option in a Live Game. Then if for some reason they both fail say due to making one bad decision after another including horrible turnovers we turn to Bateman as a last resort.

It's starting to look like we start 1 freshman....backed up by another. A bit unnerving with 2 new RB starters and about 3 new OL starters.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.