2016 Season QB Thread

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

Agree which is why I think Saban and Lane will have it narrowed to 2 getting primary snaps going into A-day. Wouldn't be surprised that those two play the first 3+ quarters at A-day.

Hurt's will RS and the odd man out of Bateman, Cornwell and Barnett will transfer.
I agree one of these three will leave either before fall camp or certainly before next spring.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I agree one of these three will leave either before fall camp or certainly before next spring.
That would be a terrible and is one reason I can guarantee that Alabama will continue to insure all three get reps throughout the spring. They only have four scholarship quarterbacks, they can't afford for it to be down to 2 and a true freshman, that's a recipe for disaster if you consider nothing other than depth.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

That would be a terrible and is one reason I can guarantee that Alabama will continue to insure all three get reps throughout the spring. They only have four scholarship quarterbacks, they can't afford for it to be down to 2 and a true freshman, that's a recipe for disaster if you consider nothing other than depth.
If Bateman wins the job, Cornwell would be the most likely to leave. In a way that would unclog the QB depth. He starts 2 years and then Hurts or Barnett for 2 or 3 in Hurts case.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I hope all our young guns stays at Bama no matter who wins the job, these QB's need to realize & as we've learned the hard way over the years at Bama, the back-up QB's are the most popular players on the team & are a play away from moving into the starting spot or up a spot on the depth chart..Coach Saban has his reasons for bringing in these talented QB's & playing the QB position is usually the longest wait to earn playing time(that's just understood) on any team you play on..

You take a big chance leaving the most dominant football program in college football, for a shot of PT at a lesser school(I can understand the temptation), but, more times than not these kids don't get anymore PT at those school than had they stayed at Bama & simply waited out their time to earn the starting QB spot at Bama..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If Bateman wins the job, Cornwell would be the most likely to leave. In a way that would unclog the QB depth. He starts 2 years and then Hurts or Barnett for 2 or 3 in Hurts case.
There's no QB depth to unclog. 4 scholarship quarterbacks is bare minimum.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I think Barnett is a smart person. I doubt he realistically thought he would be starting as a true freshman or redshirt freshman. There's a pretty clear path for him to be the starting QB his junior and senior years although I think he still has a chance to win the job this year or next year. If he transfers he's going to have to sit out a year so I don't see the transfer as being a quicker road to playing time. I think the more likely QB to transfer would be whoever loses out between Bateman and Barnett because their eligibility is ticking away. Both of those guys only have one more year left after this year. Barnett has 3 years left after this year. I think if Bateman or Cornwell were to transfer that Barnett would definitely stick around as he would be one play (injury) away from being the starter..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Majority of the conversation has been about which qbs will be transferring and I'm trying to see why are we discussing that so early when we have no idea where the guys are in their process? We just had our first scrimmage and we're already talking about this? I can see this discussion being valid late in the fall after everything is sorted out, but right now we're just grasping at nothing but air. I'm not trying to be funny or anything. I'm just wondering, and maybe someone can help me understand this.

Also, one thing we need to point out that I think only 1 quarterback has succeeded since they transferred out of the program... Phillip Ely.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Also, one thing we need to point out that I think only 1 quarterback has succeeded since they transferred out of the program... Phillip Ely.
True, good point, but I'd amend that statement to say "...so far" ​- I'll be curious to see how Del Rio does in Florida this year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

True, good point, but I'd amend that statement to say "...so far" ​- I'll be curious to see how Del Rio does in Florida this year.
It would be worth pointing out that is the second school he transferred to. He basically gained nothing at all by the first transfer, he had to sit anyway. So, either way it still looks like Ely was the only transfer from Alabama that made sense. Del Rio darn sure didn't do anything at his second stop and actually lost out on a chance to compete for the starting job last year.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

It would be worth pointing out that is the second school he transferred to. He basically gained nothing at all by the first transfer, he had to sit anyway. So, either way it still looks like Ely was the only transfer from Alabama that made sense. Del Rio darn sure didn't do anything at his second stop and actually lost out on a chance to compete for the starting job last year.
Certainly noted. I'm not confident in his ability to compete whatsoever - but Jim McElwain is a good coach and I'd imagine he can coax some performance out of him, if there is any at all. It certainly looks desperate at best and cowardly at worst to jump schools as many times as he has. Just looking to walk on and throw. But the original point is still valid, the current QB's on our roster should note that transferring has not panned out well for most of our guys. Del Rio was more of an asterisk.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Certainly noted. I'm not confident in his ability to compete whatsoever - but Jim McElwain is a good coach and I'd imagine he can coax some performance out of him, if there is any at all. It certainly looks desperate at best and cowardly at worst to jump schools as many times as he has. Just looking to walk on and throw. But the original point is still valid, the current QB's on our roster should note that transferring has not panned out well for most of our guys. Del Rio was more of an asterisk.
McElwain calls Florida quarterback play "just OK"
http://florida.247sports.com/Board/...lls-Florida-quarterback-play-just-OK-44631449

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

[Barnett] looked no worse (or better) than any of the qb's at the scrimmage today...
The statement above is empirically false, unless everyone who has reported on the first scrimmage is either a poor assessor of QB skill, or a liar, or complicit in a strategy of pre-season deception not seen in Tuscaloosa since 1971...

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The statement above is empirically false, unless everyone who has reported on the first scrimmage is either a poor assessor of QB skill, or a liar, or complicit in a strategy of pre-season deception not seen in Tuscaloosa since 1971...
Like I said earlier, the QBs are playing with a deck stacked against them at this juncture of the off-season. They're inexperienced but they're playing with a short-handed OL against a deep DL. Look at 2015, 3 QBs in 15 games had what you could consider a good to great game against our defense. Those 3 QBs were 1-2. Kelly really hit 1 fluke play and 1 truly illegal RPO play for nearly half his yards. Prescott accumulated a lot of yards but had too many 3rd and 4th down drive stops. Watson scorched us with the kind of efficiency we haven't seen since Cam Newton or Tim Tebow.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

We've just had 3 QB starters who had 1 thing in common -- they were all 5th year seniors. CNS values decision making and avoidance of mistakes more than anything else. If I were a betting person, I am betting on Cooper Bateman -- and maybe David Cornwell. Bateman especially ought to be the most comfortable running the offense.

Thanks for all the updates...being a Bama fan never gets boring!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

We've just had 3 QB starters who had 1 thing in common -- they were all 5th year seniors. CNS values decision making and avoidance of mistakes more than anything else. If I were a betting person, I am betting on Cooper Bateman -- and maybe David Cornwell. Bateman especially ought to be the most comfortable running the offense.

Thanks for all the updates...being a Bama fan never gets boring!
Excellent post and you are correct in what CNS demands.

On quibble is that Barnett "knows" this theory just as much as Bateman, the veteran, and Corwell, who's one year ahead of Barnett, but "knowing" (in theory) and doing take time to develop in live reps.

Bateman and Cornwell should have that advantage as of now. When the theory becomes practice for Barnett and he learns to eat a few or throw a few out of bounds, that's when he'll make his move up the depth chart (assuming we believe he is equally or more talented than the competition in front of him).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

There is a trend with the QB position battles under Saban: the eventual starter has always been the most experienced or oldest guy at the position.

2009 - Greg McElroy (RS Jr) over Star Jackson (RS Fr)

2011 - AJ McCarron (RS So) over Philip Sims (RS Fr)

2014 - Blake Sims (RS Sr) over Jacob Coker (GT 'Junior')

2015 - Jacob Coker (GT 'Senior') over Cooper Bateman (RS Sophomore)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

There is a trend with the QB position battles under Saban: the eventual starter has always been the most experienced or oldest guy at the position.

2009 - Greg McElroy (RS Jr) over Star Jackson (RS Fr)

2011 - AJ McCarron (RS So) over Philip Sims (RS Fr)

2014 - Blake Sims (RS Sr) over Jacob Coker (GT 'Junior')

2015 - Jacob Coker (GT 'Senior') over Cooper Bateman (RS Sophomore)
Can't argue with those facts. However, at some point the roster will dictate a change with a younger, more talented, and mature underclassman. Question that remains to be answered (probably in the fall) is could this be the year? We'll see.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

I believe Phillip Sims is on the Seahawks roster?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Can't argue with those facts. However, at some point the roster will dictate a change with a younger, more talented, and mature underclassman. Question that remains to be answered (probably in the fall) is could this be the year? We'll see.
Agree - and also with both Jackson and P Sims - after those guys left it was obvious why they didn't get the job since they were busts.

That gets us to Blake and Jake, where Jake just didn't figure out the system quickly enough to be viable. Coker/Bateman was probably the closest thing to being mostly on seniority...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.