2016 Season QB Thread

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: 2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

Just to throw another monkey wrench in here...

Saban apparently looks for 2 big intangibles from the QBs beyond the playbook and playing minimal mistake ball: 1) Someone who is going to own the position and 2) Someone the team gets behind.

What I'm reading then is that one of these things has not occurred yet.

Just my two cents.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
I don't think either has yet happened.

Also, logically, the first follows the second. As in, it's pretty hard to own the position if the team isn't behind you. Really, Saban is saying that the followers select the leader.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Re: 2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

I don't care what they say to the press I don't think it's possible to prepare three quarterbacks to play a game so at some point this week one of the three is going to be on the scout team at least to start the season.

As much as I detest game managers I think it's an almost certainty that Saban will go with the maturity that Bateman brings to the position. They will create a game plan of short controlled passes and lots of handoffs, for diversity they will have a few QB designed runs. Then tell the defense they have to go win the game.

The following week we will likely see the other guy and how that goes will have a lot to do with where it goes from here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't care what they say to the press I don't think it's possible to prepare three quarterbacks to play a game so at some point this week one of the three is going to be on the scout team at least to start the season.

As much as I detest game managers I think it's an almost certainty that Saban will go with the maturity that Bateman brings to the position. They will create a game plan of short controlled passes and lots of handoffs, for diversity they will have a few QB designed runs. Then tell the defense they have to go win the game.

The following week we will likely see the other guy and how that goes will have a lot to do with where it goes from here.
That's David Cornwell's job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Sounds Sabanish, but this same line of reasoning just gets repeated over and over BUT in what way is Bateman more mature other than "age?"

He ran a few series against OM that was a miserable failure and had a few series in mop up duty after he lost the job.

CNS has already debunked the theory that "age" really matters in his last presser. If we are listening, he's paving the way for one of the freshmen to be our qb this year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

That is what many of us think...Saban says everything for a reason. I think there are some layers within that comment but the clear one was w/r/t the QB position.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

Here is a little diddy I found - according to this Vince Sutton made is starting debut as a true freshman against Vandy in 1984. Homecoming if I recall - I was sitting in the North end zone & was about as mad as I have ever been leaving a Bama game after the loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

One could extrapolate from all the keen conjecturing herein that if 'Bama opened in the wildcat against SC, with Hurts and Bateman behind center, Saban would indeed be starting a true freshman at one of the quarterback positions...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I stand corrected. I do remember Sutton was one of those can't miss recruits. Shula was just a better field general and that won out in the end. But getting back to Hurts. If Walter Lewis were dead I'd accuse him of being his reincarnated self, and not just because he's also of color, he carries himself on the field like Lewis did. He sits in the pocket relaxed like a retired bird watcher sipping a mint julep. then when things break down he just glides out of there like he's on roller blades. People run after him but never close the gap.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I realize the graph isn't updated (AJ's record), but McElroy lost 4 games as a starter? We only lost 3 games in 2010 and went undefeated in 2009.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I realize the graph isn't updated (AJ's record), but McElroy lost 4 games as a starter? We only lost 3 games in 2010 and went undefeated in 2009.
Better yet, he didn't start 28 games (14-0 in 2009 and 10-3 in 2010).

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

I don't have any inside info or anything like that but when I saw Hurts during A Day he seemed a more decisive qb than any of the rest and certainly looks more gifted athletically. I don't know who is going to start but if it were my decision (strictly based on my limited knowledge of the candidates involved ) I would go with Hurts. Granted, most tf don't fare well in this spot but in my opinion, JH is not your average tf. My thinking on this is if you know they're all gonna "mess up" then put the one in there with the greatest ability to overcome their mistakes and an added bonus is having the guy for at least three years to grow.
All this having been said, I am not on the coaching staff and don't see all they do on a daily basis. Whomever they chose to be the next starter at the UofA I will support the team, watch every Saturday and hope we win it all again.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

At this point, it seems that Hurts is the only guy without pressure.
I'd tend to agree that at this point Hurts is playing with house money. There's no real harm in taking a redshirt and his running ability appears good enough that he can get meaningful playing time even as a backup.

The most interesting thing to me about Hurts isn't just sheer running ability though. Bateman is supposedly very fast (though I think he lacks the instincts of a runner, still have yet to see anyone note of good runs in scrimmages lately), and Barnett's running ability is well recorded. The interesting thing to me, is that Hurts is a 6'2 weight lifter.

I see people comparing him to some dual threat QBs that really are not that big, and some people wonder how Hurts will do once people start making contact with him, but what if that's when he really starts to shine? He's not quite Tebow big, but he's Tebow strong. I've been thinking that he can't do as much in scrimmages with the touch rule (watching him try to evade a touch is almost comical but also shows a ton of skill on his part), and I'm very curious to see how he does with contact.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maybe Saban was not only preparing the media for Hurts to start, but also preparing Hurts himself. Maybe he wants to see if Hurts picks up on the subtle hints and can handle it. I honestly will be shocked if Hurts starts against USC, not because I don't think he's capable, but because that means he's truly special. I'm 35 and Bama has never had a truly elite QB that defenses actually feared. I would love for Hurts to be that guy, it's gonna be fun to see what happens.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

From the founder and CEO of 247 Sports. Nothing really earth shattering. Kind of confirms what most of us thought..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

agree about the preparation, but the reality is we don't know how the reps are already being split up in practice after the media viewing period. They could already be heavily slanted and we just don't see it, and Saban might want to keep it that way right up till kickoff so that USC can't game plan as well.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

agree about the preparation, but the reality is we don't know how the reps are already being split up in practice after the media viewing period. They could already be heavily slanted and we just don't see it, and Saban might want to keep it that way right up till kickoff so that USC can't game plan as well.
BINGO!

CNS ain't gonna tip his hand 'cuz he knows USC has the athletes/talent to give us problems. It'll be a chess match prolly through the first quarter. And I REALLY like our chances with that given we have CLK on our side.

12 DAYS!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.